Welcome, Guest

Steve C's Jorney
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Steve C's Jorney 9554 Views

Re: Steve C's Jorney 01 Oct 2009 12:48 #21350

• Noorah BAmram
  • Current streak: 3710 days
  • Platinum Boarder
My dear friend steve shlita

Today is day 178 on my sobriety journey, and my greatest fear is lest I become complacent and let down my guard! Pun intended!

For me the things that work are amongst others:

1. Filter, filter, filter! I don't trust myself for a second on a computer (or cell phone)  that doesn't have a "no nonsense" filter. Period

2. Pray constantly- "may the Merciful one remove the Yatzer Hara from me"!!

this powerful "tip" comes  straight from the mouth of the MR Yatzer Hara himself see
Talmud Kiddushin 81

I pray at the end of shmoneh esrai and any time some "insane" thoughts of lust pop into my head

3. The ole AA truism from "one day at a time" is for me an absolute lifebreath of sobriety. Yes of course! I made a goal to do 90 to do 6 months a year, but ultimately it can only be done "kol yom bifnei atsmo"

4. Share! Share! Share! I posted my ups and my downs, my fears and my worries (my thread called Noora's journey is buried somewhere on the wall of honor thread).
I also posted torah thoughts and insights related to the struggle, which gave me tremendous encouragement.
I found the posting on the forum to be highly therapeutic.

5. I Read the post of others. The chizuk is Awesome!!

I daven for our continued success
May the Almighty give us the  courage and fortitude one day at a time

All the love in the world to a fellow Warrior

Noorah
[b]כי שבע יפול צדיק וקם[/b] 
A Tzadik is he who continues to  bounce back after he hits bottom, even a hundred times !!!!!Rav Don Segal Shlita
Last Edit: 01 Oct 2009 14:24 by wmick4245.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 01 Oct 2009 14:27 #21385

• kedusha
  • Current streak: 717 days
  • Administrator
stevec613 wrote on 01 Oct 2009 12:16:

I updated my 90 day chart and see that I am halfway to the goal.  I am not so naive to believe that I have this thing beat and that its all smooth sailing until 90.  I realize the battle will be long and hard and that I will be probably find the second half of this journey to be more difficult that the first half.  I am wondering what others have experienced, how others have fought the urge to feel like the addiction is behind them.  I am worried that I may let my guard down and fall before I even realize it.  I know how difficult it is to stop once you even start to look,

I suggest investing in your recovery (time, effort, etc.).  And, like any savvy investor, you make sure to protect your investment!
Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!
Last Edit: by Smilemore.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 01 Oct 2009 14:31 #21387

• bardichev
Noorah BAmram wrote on 01 Oct 2009 12:48:

My dear friend steve shlita

Today is day 178 on my sobriety journey, and my greatest fear is lest I become complacent and let down my guard! Pun intended!

For me the things that work are amongst others:

1. Filter, filter, filter! I don't trust myself for a second on a computer (or cell phone)  that doesn't have a "no nonsense" filter. Period

2. Pray constantly- "may the Merciful one remove the Yatzer Hara from me"!!

this powerful "tip" comes  straight from the mouth of the MR Yatzer Hara himself see
Talmud Kiddushin 81

I pray at the end of shmoneh esrai and any time some "insane" thoughts of lust pop into my head

3. The ole AA truism from "one day at a time" is for me an absolute lifebreath of sobriety. Yes of course! I made a goal to do 90 to do 6 months a year, but ultimately it can only be done "kol yom bifnei atsmo"

4. Share! Share! Share! I posted my ups and my downs, my fears and my worries (my thread called Noora's journey is buried somewhere on the wall of honor thread).
I also posted torah thoughts and insights related to the struggle, which gave me tremendous encouragement.
I found the posting on the forum to be highly therapeutic.

5. I Read the post of others. The chizuk is Awesome!!

I daven for our continued success
May the Almighty give us the  courage and fortitude one day at a time

All the love in the world to a fellow Warrior

Noorah

if i  may add

if you slip ch"v

all is not lost

just grab hold of the steering wheel and

KEEP ON TRUCKING!!!!
Last Edit: by amazingfuture.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 01 Oct 2009 19:47 #21574

• Holy Yid
  • Current streak: 92 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Keep the mind engaged and the soul content
I wish you much luck. But I must warn you that you must not become complacent. You are not strong till you have been tested and passed. The only way to avoid the DANGER of having to be tested is to remember that you are not strong yet and need to be VERY VERY careful. Have BIG fences and always plan ahead. I learnt the VERY hard way
זכרני נא, זכרני נא, וחזקני נא אך הפעם הזה, הפעם הזה, האלקים, ואנקמה נקם אחת משתי עיני, מפלשתים
Last Edit: by Stillovehim2019$.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 09 Oct 2009 14:47 #22500

• stevec613
  • Current streak: 4942 days
  • Senior Boarder
Wow - I am now at 50 days.  Whats strange is that its getting harder.  The lure of looking at improper things while walking the streets is getting tougher.  I wonder if the "frum" women who dress provocatively know the impact they have on men who see them.  Certainly we addicts share some of the blame since even women dressed tznius challenges us.  However those that dress to show off cross the line and may be guilty of placing a stumbling block before the blind.  I am not sure why, but a "frum" women dressed in a provocative way is a bigger test for me than the non Jew walking down the street.

Good Yom Tov to all

SC
Last Edit: by Mmb910.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 09 Oct 2009 15:36 #22506

• Rage AT Machine
stevec613 wrote on 09 Oct 2009 14:47:

those that dress to show off cross the line

there is no line....

this is not their fault, they are just doing what they are told...

that being said, there is a serious problem with modesty in nyc among othodox jews...i believe this is because we have replaced a very fluid concept called modesty with rigid rules about socks and elbows and wigs...we have truly lost the forest for the trees....
Last Edit: by Bex999.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 09 Oct 2009 15:57 #22507

• Holy Yid
  • Platinum Boarder

Wow - I am now at 50 days.  Whats strange is that its getting harder.  The lure of looking at improper things while walking the streets is getting tougher. 

Good Yom Tov to all

SC

Have you been working on not lusting period? Also check the thread called Harry's Wife
זכרני נא, זכרני נא, וחזקני נא אך הפעם הזה, הפעם הזה, האלקים, ואנקמה נקם אחת משתי עיני, מפלשתים
Last Edit: by Eliezer Zev.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 09 Oct 2009 20:16 #22526

• kedusha
  • Current streak: 717 days
  • Administrator
Rage AT Machine wrote on 09 Oct 2009 15:36:

those that dress to show off cross the line

there is no line....

this is not their fault, they are just doing what they are told...

that being said, there is a serious problem with modesty in nyc among othodox jews...i believe this is because we have replaced a very fluid concept called modesty with rigid rules about socks and elbows and wigs...we have truly lost the forest for the trees....

I do agree, and have heard from a very Chashuv Rav in my city, that there is far more to Tznius than what parts of the body are covered (although that's obviously important too).
Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!
Last Edit: by why_me.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 12 Oct 2009 15:56 #22672

• Holy Yid
  • Platinum Boarder

Wow - I am now at 50 days.  Whats strange is that its getting harder.

I don't know much about you but I suspect that you are not working with the handbooks as much as you should. The point of being clean is not to stay clean but rather to have the peace of mind to re-organize you life in a healthy meaningful way. Do you relate to what I am saying or does it sound strange?
Last Edit: by Cherubin.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 30 Oct 2009 19:08 #26454

• stevec613
  • Current streak: 4942 days
  • Senior Boarder
Quick Update - I broke the 70 day barrier.  Good shabbos and Hatzlocho to all.
Last Edit: by holyyid.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 30 Oct 2009 21:00 #26459

• Noorah BAmram
  • Current streak: 3710 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Chazak Chazak Achi!!

Noorah
[b]כי שבע יפול צדיק וקם[/b] 
A Tzadik is he who continues to  bounce back after he hits bottom, even a hundred times !!!!!Rav Don Segal Shlita
Last Edit: by yitzchokj.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 31 Oct 2009 20:33 #26469

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
I broke the 70 day barrier.

Mazal tov, keep up the great work! The shock reverberated around the world!

Was this you?
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by John23.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 31 Oct 2009 21:09 #26471

• levite
  • Current streak: 652 days
  • Expert Boarder
keep up the good work!
Last Edit: by sing4ever.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 02 Nov 2009 11:40 #26586

• G38
  • Gold Boarder
Well done, Iy"h by the 700th day!
Last Edit: by sataya5517.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 22 Nov 2009 14:12 #29875

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
Seems Steve reached 90 days and no one even noticed. Steve?

If yes, MAZAL TOV. Maybe this be the first big step in a life-time of sobriety and closeness to Hashem!
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by allan386.
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes