Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: new start 809 Views

new start 24 Dec 2011 22:00 #129151

• his8sm
  • Junior Boarder
as my user name may suggest, i intend for a new start
I am in Europe and have been a B.T. for over 10 years- married with children
however, my previous life was the normal experience for a non frum person, girlfriends, unsuitable material, college etc and I have never shaken off the images and desires that were seen as normal and healthy
i have often gone weeks and months without doing anything and even would say i never looked at anything for years.
but  its been difficult coming across women at work, and in the street and going to work every day, around goyim who dont exactly see anything wrong with viewing on their mobile devices the kind of material we shouldnt see has really affected me for the worse.
i have done what we have all done, made vows and been to mikvah and said please hashem let this be the last time, but its an addiction and together with my OCD, i guess its a challenge i also need to face up to
so on 22nd December, i found this site properly and decided I had to give it a go
here i am, and so far clean, but today during shabbos i got scared as i saw the whole future ahead of me
Last Edit: by .

Re: new start 25 Dec 2011 15:32 #129189

• chaimyakov
  • Current streak: 61 days
  • Platinum Boarder
What about the future scared you?  Was it the uncertainty of being able to continue on this new path forever?  i am also a bt and i now relate to this addiction of mine in a similar way to the way i related to becoming frum.  i didn't know then nor do i know now what tomorrow will bring, but i know that today i will do the best i can and turn everything i can't handle over to Hashem all the while relying on the knowledge that HE loves me more than anyone, HE wants me to succeed more than anyone, and HE is more forgiving than anyone as well.
Hatzlacha in all things GOOD.
chaimyakov

Re: new start 25 Dec 2011 17:44 #129201

• his8sm
  • Junior Boarder
Well, i suppose, i was scared  as previously, ive maybe only ever managed weeks or months without (not looking at stuff but the physical aspect) and last year cut down alot, but this year hasnt been so good and i guess now that ive resolved to properly challenge this issue through this forum and with the right tools, i got scared.......thinking, i feel motivated now, but what about when the next challenge comes in a few weeks or months, but i guess ur right, you need to stay focused on the here and now.

saying that, i am the type of person who responds well to targets and this 90 day chart is really made for someone like me to stick to, my problem has always been in anything i have done in life,whether it be making a minyan or going to the gym, i find it hard to be consistent beyond the first push,so im scared for that.
also, life is fairly stressful at the moment as well, so thats adding to my anxiety i guess.
Kol Tuv

Re: new start 25 Dec 2011 22:12 #129211

• chaimyakov
  • Current streak: 61 days
  • Platinum Boarder
i understand.  Take it slow.  One month goals never worked for me neither did one week.  But less than that seemed not worthy of being a goal.  Now i know that is just the yh 's lie.  Look around the forum and you will find many truths.  The most common truth you might find is to concentrate on now and now only because frankly it is all we can affect anyway.  Yesterday is gone and tomorrow, well that is for HASHEM to deal with.  One day at a time is all i can afford to dwell on.  Don't dwell on the next challenge, deal with the challenge you are facing at the moment - now.
Hatzlacha in all things GOOD!
chaimyakov
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes