Welcome, Guest

Hashem...help me.
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Hashem...help me. 8332 Views

Hashem...help me. 17 Aug 2009 07:33 #12650

• Will
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Expert Boarder
The more I read through the posts here on GYE, the smaller I feel. Everybody here has an incredible drive for truth, and an unbelievable will (no pun intended). I came here a few days ago thinking I knew a bit about a few things, and now I shamefully hang my head realizing that I know nothing about everything.  Everybody here has given me tremendous chizuk, whether they realize it or not...and it is that chizuk that forces me to stare my biggest problem in the eye. Baruch Hashem, not acting out is an easier battle for me now...and it was perhaps the victory of that skirmish (breaking the cycle) that made me think I was almost done...but I have conveniently neglected the root of it all: Shmiras Einayim. It is extremely hard for me to keep my eyes to myself. Unbelievably hard. But with Elul coming up, I cannot ask Hashem for forgiveness of my past if I have not done my part. For the next 90 days, I will give Shmiras Einayim my every effort. And I don't care how hard it is.
So here I am, trembling as I think about the challenge of the coming months...But I do know one thing...Yetzer Hara? You goin down.
Last Edit: by iwanabegood .

Re: Hashem...help me. 17 Aug 2009 08:30 #12657

• Tomim2B
It's only up from here. Just one day at a time. 

We admire your impelling commitment that you will do everything in your control to be victorious. Your attitude and determination is everything!

2B
Last Edit: by Here 2 improve.

Re: Hashem...help me. 17 Aug 2009 09:01 #12663

• Sturggle
  • Current streak: 178 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Will wrote on 17 Aug 2009 07:33:

But I do know one thing...Yetzer Hara? You goin down.

Y"H, you hear that? take that!

Will, huge, as is everything else you wrote here and in your other posts. welcome aboard...

struggle
Last Edit: by hashemyaazor.

Re: Hashem...help me. 17 Aug 2009 11:53 #12681

• battleworn
Wellcome home will ! This is the place to be. Your decision is the true definition of teshuva and you definitely deserve that Hashem should help you. Keep us posted.

CHAZAK VE'EMATZ!
Last Edit: by ICANBEBETTER.

Re: Hashem...help me. 17 Aug 2009 18:19 #12761

• Will
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks guys for the support!

Day 1- Today went decently. Every time a woman passed my cross hairs I immediately looked away. Except one time. I might have lingered a fraction of a second too long. And then I was online and I caught myself looking at a picture...It wasn't even an innappropriate picture, it was just of an attractive womans face....but as soon as I realized I looked away. Talk about tough! I knew it would be hard...but this hard?
Im beginning to realize that Hashem has placed me in a very tough spot to work on such an issue. For starters, I live in a land where the married women dress provocatively and the shaitels flow free. As if that wasn't enough, theres also a coffee shop directly next to my place, that conspires to have only the best looking women have coffee every single time I want to go anywhere. I think its called "Balak's Famous Coffee". Im gonna need to form the habit of looking at my feet when I pass the place, or this is not going to work.
Last Edit: by david100.

Re: Hashem...help me. 17 Aug 2009 18:46 #12780

• battleworn
R' Tvi Meir allways says that we never realize how much work there is to do (in any area of avodas Hashem) until we start doing it. Well, לכך נוצרת this is the real life.

HATZLOCHOH RABOH ON YOUR LIFE MISSION!
Last Edit: by Kedushah1.

Re: Hashem...help me. 18 Aug 2009 06:11 #12911

• Will
  • Expert Boarder
Man, I'm already wondering how today will go. I have to go run some errands in a very tough place to keep your eyes to yourself. I hear the Yetzer Hara sharpening his sword...

Battleworn,

R' Tzvi Meir is definitely right.
Last Edit: by Kadmon7chazak.

Re: Hashem...help me. 18 Aug 2009 08:23 #12926

• Sturggle
  • Current streak: 178 days
  • Platinum Boarder
If he's sharpening his sword, then we know that you, Will, can take him down. B'hatzlacha in your errands today and let us know how it went!
Last Edit: by bhill.

Re: Hashem...help me. 18 Aug 2009 09:37 #12959

• nezach
Will It sounds like you have inner strength and the determination to achieve your goal and succeed in this purpose!!

Since the past few weeks I have actually been crossing the street to avoid passing a women and I tell you its a surreal but amazing satisfaction. I stopped doing it over the past few days (I only just realised, so im pleased im writing on your wall) so even though it is extreme, what the heck - im going to try and 'cross the street again' lol. My point is, if your serious about guarding your eyes then such techniques strengthen your resolve.

Looking forward to continued success

b'Hazlacha
Last Edit: by Nyr.

Re: Hashem...help me. 18 Aug 2009 20:41 #13147

• Will
  • Expert Boarder
Wow. This is hard. There are a lot of women in the world. Battleworn's quote of R' Tzvi Meir is too true..."we never realize how much work there is to do (in any area of avodas Hashem) until we start doing it." There are a few things that make this struggle especially hard for me:

-I am very into communication and body language. I absolutely love to observe strangers...trying to see how they're feeling, where they stand socially, what type of personality traits they have. Its a habit that I love and, unfortunately, many times a woman will pass through my field of "study". I have to look away, and I hate it.

-I was walking down the street today with a friend who was excitedly telling me about his recent trip. I wanted to show my interest and look at him, but I couldn't for fear of women. I sensed him catching on and not appreciating it. Even if I were to tell him why I cant look at him, a natural human reaction is to be subliminally offended at a friends negative body language. I don't like this.

-I have a confident carriage. Gaivah will most likely immediately pop into your head. Call it what you want, but I do not consider myself an overly gaivah-dicke person and I don't think anyone who knows me would say I am. I developed my gait in my late teens as I realized that it did wonders in social situations...be it business, new friendships, or just networking- a confident stance is almost always a massive benefit. I do not like walking around with my head down.

All in all, today went okay. I happened to see some things I shouldn't have seen, but as soon as it registered I refocused my attention.  When I stopped to get a shwarma I deliberately sat in the much less comfortable inside of the smokey/smelly/sweaty shop instead of the cool night breeze so that I would not be challenged with the sidewalk shmutz. Best shwarma I ever had. A bit earlier in the day I was strolling when I noticed a female in the distance. I immediately put my head down. As we passed each other, she stopped and asked me for directions. I kept my head down and mumbled like a serial killer. That got rid of her.

I listened to the Shmiras Einayim shiur by Rav Tzvi Miller, and decided that it would be a good idea to complete his 30 day Shmiras Einayim program 3 times over in the course of the next 90 days. I caught up to day 2, and Baruch Hashem changed my perspective on a few key issues. I was not aware that looking at modestly dressed women is an issur in itself. Even modestly dressed SINGLE women! I always reasoned that looking at single tznius women is okay because after all, she just might be the one! It happens to be that this is my biggest taivah- tznius women; and I have realized now that my Yetzer Hara exploits it. I'll have to find some good Tachbulos for this.

I would love to hear what you guys think...

P.S.- Nezach, I like your extreme measure idea. Im going to think up more...
Last Edit: by gdlovesme.

Re: Hashem...help me. 19 Aug 2009 01:44 #13190

• Holy Yid
  • Current streak: 92 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Keep the mind engaged and the soul content
Find something that intersts you to focus on. Read a book. Get a hobby. Make sure it is something you enjoy.
זכרני נא, זכרני נא, וחזקני נא אך הפעם הזה, הפעם הזה, האלקים, ואנקמה נקם אחת משתי עיני, מפלשתים
Last Edit: by Tryingto.

Re: Hashem...help me. 19 Aug 2009 06:17 #13214

• Will
  • Expert Boarder
Holy Yid,

Where are you suggesting I implement this? I cant be too engrossed in a book while I walk...
Last Edit: by DovidYeshaya.

Re: Hashem...help me. 19 Aug 2009 09:12 #13234

• Will
  • Expert Boarder
I have a wedding tonight...Oy.
Last Edit: by catshmil.

Re: Hashem...help me. 19 Aug 2009 13:43 #13291

• jda211
  • Senior Boarder
will, like you posted on my thread, we are starting (again) around the same time, and i feel like we are going through so many of the same things.  I also have business that sometimes takes to crowded areas, like Manhattan, and especially in the summer, we all know how that goes.  something i am still working on, but has helped a little for me is trying to care less what other people think, and focus on what Hashem is thinking at that time.  Much easier said than done, i know.  but i used to feel so afraid, what are people thinking, why am i looking down, not making eye contact, then i realized there are a ton of freaks in the city, im nothing compared to them.  Like it says all over, i'd rather people think im weird forever in this world than Hashem being upset at all in the next.  After thinking about it, it was clearly the Y'H just telling me, people care where you look, they talking about you, but really they couldnt care less
Dont know if that was helpful at all to your situation, just thought i'd try.
Last Edit: by IcanandIwillwithHashem.

Re: Hashem...help me. 19 Aug 2009 17:06 #13330

• Holy Yid
  • Current streak: 92 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Keep the mind engaged and the soul content
Will wrote on 19 Aug 2009 06:17:

Holy Yid,

Where are you suggesting I implement this? I cant be too engrossed in a book while I walk...

find a topic you enjoy and will think about while walking. Find something complex that you can get engrossed in. Ideally it could be learning. Find something that challenges you that you need to ponder to grasp or that you enjoy thinking about. Even politics if that works.
זכרני נא, זכרני נא, וחזקני נא אך הפעם הזה, הפעם הזה, האלקים, ואנקמה נקם אחת משתי עיני, מפלשתים
Last Edit: by allaround.
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes