Welcome, Guest

its just a disease, right?
(0 viewing) 
Getting out of Isolation and connecting with others is an important part of recovery. This board is for non-addiction related threads, where members exchange jokes, have fun - and drink Lechayim Together!
  • Page:

TOPIC: its just a disease, right? 3578 Views

its just a disease, right? 21 Mar 2010 15:21 #59088

• dovinisrael
  • Gold Boarder
(more on the LIGHT-er side of addictions, in other words lighten up...laugh a little)

I already posted my thoughts on being an addict:

rehab-my-site.com/guardureyes/forum/index.php?topic=2010.msg58645

so here are my thoughts on the disease. I have a new name for it.
I think it shoudl be called: Invert-Ego

Unlike Vertigo - where the room appears to be spinning,
with Invert-Ego, its the Ego that is spinning...

everything is inverted... we are supposed to be afraid of HaShem - and yet we find we are afraid of someone, anyone walking on us.

We are supposed to be drawn to the spiritual - and yet when we fall or slip, the first thing that goes out the window is our interest in spiritual things, including davening, learning, etc.

When one suffers Vertigo - there is a simple "exercise"one can do to stop the spinning.

Maybe one day someone will invent a similar exercise to stop our egos from spinning out of control - but in the mean time the clostest thing I found which helps is the 12-steps.

Dov InIsrael
Last Edit: 21 Mar 2010 20:44 by .

Re: its just a disease, right? 21 Mar 2010 16:24 #59105

• bardichev
DISEASE SHMASEAS

YEAH IT IS A DISEASE

WHAT DOES THAT DO??

DOES IT MAKE YOU ONE IOTA LESS RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS??

NO WAY!!

LABELING A DISEASE DOES ONE THING

IT MAKES LIFE A BIT MORE MANAGEBLE

ON ONE CONDITION

IF YOU ARE WILLING TO BE TRETED FOR YOU DISEASE

SOMEONE WHO HAS SWINE FLU HACKING ANDSPITTING AND COUGHININ

YEAH HE IS SICK BUT HE IS A TIME BOMB!!

SO YES THIS IS A DISEASE

NOW GO TO THE DOCTOR AND

CURE IT!!!
Last Edit: by .

Re: its just a disease, right? 21 Mar 2010 20:43 #59128

• dovinisrael
  • Gold Boarder
naming it - confines it...diminishes it...makes it easyier to live with...

and besides it was meant to more of the lighter side of addiction.
i guess i forgot to write that...

i'll modify it - in case anyone else comes to visit (lonely) me...

Re: its just a disease, right? 21 Mar 2010 21:00 #59133

• Ineedhelp!!
  • Platinum Boarder
call it whatever you want. doesnt matter. whatever it is i have it, you have it, and heck I wish NOBODY else gets it.

Re: its just a disease, right? 21 Mar 2010 21:49 #59139

• bardichev
Yeah I'm sick of it too..

Two shots of woodford (shmalts herrin is optional)

Works wonders)

Re: its just a disease, right? 21 Mar 2010 23:01 #59153

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
dis-ease
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.

Re: its just a disease, right? 23 Mar 2010 14:44 #59390

• dovinisrael
  • Gold Boarder
sorry, Dov is not available - he has been kidnapped by Lillit...

and she is using p**n images to try to get him to spill seed on her behalf.

Re: its just a disease, right? 25 Mar 2010 23:01 #59658

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
It must be the dis-ease of Pesach cleaning that is causing you to act out. Recognize the dis-ease for what it is, and you've already solved most of the problem...

Yes, we clean and turn the house upside down. It's not easy. But we get to feel a little what "shibud mitzrayim" is like. This helps us taste the freedom of Pesach better, as the Zohar says, that there can be no light only through darkness.

Zohar Titzaveh:

For there is no light besides that which comes out of darkness. And when the "other" side is subjugated, the Master of the World is elevated and his honor is increased. And avodas Hashem can only be through darkness. And there can be no good, only though bad. And when a person goes into a bad path and then leaves it, the Master of the World's honor is elevated. And therefore, the "Shleimus" (completion) of everything, is good and bad together - and then to leave to the (side of) good. And there can be no good but that which comes through bad, and from such good, Hashem is elevated. And this is called an "avodah shleimah" (a complete service of Hashem).
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.

Re: its just a disease, right? 03 Apr 2010 22:10 #60096

• dovinisrael
  • Gold Boarder
whoa!

seriously deep stuff to ponder!

i heard it summed up a little easier (the dummies version)

v'yehe eruv, v'yehe boker -
there was night - and there was morning.

the dark of night preceeds the dawn - because light only has meaning against the backdrop of darkness.

Re: its just a disease, right? 13 May 2010 04:16 #65139

• Avreich
  • Gold Boarder
guardureyes wrote on 25 Mar 2010 23:01:

It must be the dis-ease of Pesach cleaning that is causing you to act out. Recognize the dis-ease for what it is, and you've already solved most of the problem...

Yes, we clean and turn the house upside down. It's not easy. But we get to feel a little what "shibud mitzrayim" is like. This helps us taste the freedom of Pesach better, as the Zohar says, that there can be no light only through darkness.

I suspected something like this, but I did not read it before Pesach. It's always nogeiah though.

Re: its just a disease, right? 13 May 2010 04:31 #65140

• Maccabee
I've been thinking that not necessarily should it be called an addiction simply because (at least in my POV) a lot of this starts from simple boredom and depression and when you're younger. this might be the easiest thing to access. For others their go-to when depressed is watching sports or drawing or some other quick non-strenuating satisfying fulfilling activity. Unfortunately we were led to something that damages our neshamos in the worst way possible.

Now going along with this logic i wonder if its possible to switch this "obsession" to something less harmful spiritually?

What are your opinions?

Re: its just a disease, right? 13 May 2010 12:10 #65186

• DovInIsrael
just read an amazing article -

seems as though p** is one of the forms of addiction!

the eyes process things faster than everything else...visuals even get to the brain faster than herion!

its like the brain is trying to take over from the electricity flowing through the brain.

I'll try to write up something when I have a bit more time!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes