Welcome, Guest

[POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life?
(0 viewing) 
This is a board for all the important threads that we don't want to get lost among the others :-)

TOPIC: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 48035 Views

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 25 Jan 2010 17:01 #48350

• shemirateinayim
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Platinum Boarder
location, location, location.    It's a long story
Last Edit: by .

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 18 Mar 2010 02:52 #58754

• Chazak Amenu
  • Current streak: 378 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't remeber what i voted but i think  i would be happy and a liitle scared. i would  be happy because i would be able to talk to someone trying to beat this addiction like me and i know if i need to talk to somone that person would be close by but i would be scared because as 15 year old (alright i am rushing give me two weeks ;D) you need to be careful just like it says in the sighn in thing you should not meet with anyone you meet with online this is a rule tought from a young age and it would actually be breaking it. so from that perspective i dont really know i think this anonymous thing has helped me more than anything GYE has had to offer i am clean for 21 days strate since beggining! but if i did meet somone i would probably talk with them very cautiously and maybe after a little while if i got to know them it could become something more.

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 18 Mar 2010 04:29 #58786

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I think the original poster meant to ask, what if someone you already knew in real life, and trusted, turned out to be someone on the forum - would you want them knowing who you are?

And if I remember correctly, the original poster was actually asking this specifically because he wanted to know one person's thoughts in particular - anyone have a link to the post about what ended up happening there? Definitely worth a big smile!

:D :D :D

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 18 Mar 2010 13:07 #58809

• Chazak Amenu
  • Platinum Boarder
oh, did not realize that is what he meant, well he says it was with someone you have a good relationship with it seems like it would be a great opurtunity to have someone you like and trust going through the same thing you are. someone is always there nearby who you can talk to or even just give a little pat on the back of encouragement. sounds great not that i think it will ever happen! 

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 01 Apr 2010 17:58 #60015

• Chazak Amenu
  • Platinum Boarder
looking back at this i am not really quite sure it would really depend on who it was. but everyone here sounds very nice on the forum so i am very split.

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 02 Apr 2010 15:21 #60068

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Someone pointed out to me a while ago that while people are very supportive on the forum, addicts can have unhealthy tendencies in various areas of their lives - and while I'm happy to accept and share chizuk here, I wouldn't necessarily want everyone here knowing everything about me.

I think they made a good point - while there are some people who know a lot about me, I got to know them bit by bit.

Like you said - depends who it is.

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 02 Apr 2010 15:51 #60071

• dovekbashem
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Expert Boarder
I'm a little bit bothered by these responses.

Yes, we all have our problems. Yes, we are all struggling with certain taava's that we may have been more tahor without. But look at the avodah we go through on a daily basis! There is no nation, no religion in the world that demands this level of sacrifice, of wrestling with oneself to be a better eved hashem. And there are no greater Jews in the world than the ones on this site. This site is not about the failure of yiddin, it is about the ideal jew, the true eved hashem. Avraham Avinu cried when he brought Yitzchok to the Akeida and Yaakov struggled when he was forced to go down to Egypt. Avodas Hashem is about the struggle, the tears and, sometimes, even the pain. Every time I come on this site, even when I am most ashamed of myself, I can't help but thinking "ashreinu, ma tov chelkeinu." I am honored to know all of you in some way or another and we should all be honored to go through this struggle together.

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 04 Apr 2010 15:11 #60145

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Absolutely - This site is wonderful, and beautiful, and I love each and every person on it! Thank god, I've been really busy recently, but when I had a bit more time, I posted as much as I could on many threads, because I truly care about each person here, and I rejoiced at their growth and successes!

Furthermore, this site, this community, has helped me tremendously in so many ways.

However, that doesn't mean I would want to meet every person on it, nor does it mean that I would want every person on it knowing all my personal information. Furthermore, the anonymity of the site is part of what allows everyone to be non-judgmental and open.

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 04 Apr 2010 16:05 #60152

• Dov
  • Administrator
Ditto, SB.
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 04 Apr 2010 22:50 #60183

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow! Dov agrees with me! I must have learned something from my time here!

Re-reading my post, though, I think I overused the word "furthermore." My bad. 

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 07 Apr 2010 02:02 #60233

• Dov
  • Administrator
And what's so bad about overusing "furthermore"? And why reread your posts? Why bother? Furthermore, who cares if you overuse a word? They appreciate your honesty, your dedication to being helpful to posters here, and the sweet way you share what you have with them! Furthermore, ...oh, never mind.... ;D

:-*
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 07 Apr 2010 02:43 #60236

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't usually re-read posts, but if Reb Dov agrees with something I say, then you can bet I will!

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 07 Apr 2010 22:45 #60348

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
More than anyone else, the individual I very much want to meet is RABBEINU GUARD SHLITA! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Is there another mezakeh es harabim to found in the whole wide world on his level? ??? I should bend before him & kiss hiss shoes! I would want to bring my family to him for a brocha. Hashem is SURELY on his team! They are very close partners. (I would have to try to think up some explanation for my wife as to who this guy is....)

[Please, R' Guard, even before I am zoche to bask in your holy presence, please include us in your tefilos.]

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 21 Apr 2010 18:12 #62318

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
You could probably sell the one you have - and hey, welcome to the forum! I hope to see you on the "introduce yourself" board!

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 22 Apr 2010 03:10 #62375

• Dov
  • Administrator
To heck with the computer, let's just dump all our good-old lies and do whatever is needed to allow hashem to keep us sober today! It's good enough for me.
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes