Welcome, Guest

[POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life?
(0 viewing) 
This is a board for all the important threads that we don't want to get lost among the others :-)

TOPIC: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 47537 Views

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 29 Aug 2011 02:07 #116684

• Back on Track
You cn also 'meet' on skype beforehand. (Note: there is a way to record skype calls- be forewarned.
Last Edit: by .

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 29 Aug 2011 13:33 #116710

• longbeach
It was always my understanding that in any 12 Step program participation is anonymous.  I forget the "secret code word" but members of AA have a phrase, like "friends of Bill," or something along those lines, when they announce a meeting in a location that one might not normally frequent or associate with having such meetings. When they  meet in the street, after seeing someone at a meeting, it is not discussed.  Anonymity is the key to success. 

If someone approached me, I think I would not acknowledge it verbally, but when my face turned beet red they would figure it out.  Why is that a problem? There is a halachic issue of causing another embarrassment or discomfort about their past sins for which  they are doing teshuvah.  The other person has no right to make that approach publicly or privately if it will cause discomforty to the "sinner."  "We are in the same boat" does not necessarily reduce the embarrassment.  Ask any Ba'l Teshuvah about times comments have benn made like, "Remember when we used to..."  They can cause real discomfort.

If a member thinks he has identified someone, it would be MUCH more appropriate to contact them through GYE and communicate that way, discussing, perhaps, the possibility or willingness of the other party to be "outed," even in a one to one situation. It is up to the second party whether or not to participate.

Also, the second party might feel so threatened/embarrassed that they might not return to GYE, or, at least, would be much less involved and, as a result, probably less successful.

Just my thoughts.

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 09 Sep 2011 20:59 #118354

• blackbigday
  • Expert Boarder
I WANT to meet one of you guys (esp. bardichev)!  I want a hug and a real l''hiam!

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 11 Sep 2011 11:24 #118411

• Jackabbey
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
here it comes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments:

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 11 Sep 2011 14:58 #118422

• bardichev
black bigday wrote on 09 Sep 2011 20:59:

I WANT to meet one of you guys (esp. bardichev)!  I want a hug and a real l''hiam!

how do u know we never met??

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 11 Sep 2011 15:10 #118426

• Jackabbey
  • Platinum Boarder
i allways thought i know who you are, but you never know.................
we have to make a hidden sign for the two of us............................

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 11 Sep 2011 15:14 #118429

• bardichev
yes i wear a black velvet yarmulka

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 11 Sep 2011 15:16 #118431

• Jackabbey
  • Platinum Boarder
thats it! got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 11 Sep 2011 20:52 #118468

• Dov
  • Administrator
...but he also wears black velvet shoes.

Little-known bardifact.
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 11 Sep 2011 20:59 #118469

• Jackabbey
  • Platinum Boarder
Dov! there is no need for that, i have seen his truck, his radiating smile, his supporting hand, his never-melting ice-cream
i dont need any more clues, i will recognise him immidietly
besides, i pitty him with velvet shoes, he needs to brush them constantly

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 11 Sep 2011 21:12 #118472

• bardichev
dov i need to correct you

i do not wear velvet shoes

zemmy steve noorah amongst others and others met me in real life

i do not wear black velevt shoes

i wear standat issue  ecco shoes

http://www.ecco.com/en/Ecco/Formal/Mens%20Collection/601054-01001?i=26

so dov please when u see a guy with velvet shoes

do not say hi bards and give him a shot off woodford

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 11 Sep 2011 21:19 #118477

• Jackabbey
  • Platinum Boarder
calzaddos rocio nero antique

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 11 Sep 2011 21:23 #118480

• ben durdayah
  • Current streak: 49 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No, that is not a mouse...
Without "outing" the rebbe,

I think that we can be even more specific, and say that his non-velvet standard issue ecco shoes are black, as is his hat...
For Dov and the other two guys who care,
My real name really is
 Eli
Like the original Bendy, Ein hadavar talui ela bee

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 11 Sep 2011 21:26 #118482

• Jackabbey
  • Platinum Boarder
oh oh, we are narrowing him down
please the rebbe is a tzadik nister

Re: [POLL] How would you react to being recognized here by someone in real life? 11 Sep 2011 22:06 #118488

• ben durdayah
  • Current streak: 49 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No, that is not a mouse...
Oh, and that bit about the hat is only when he's not wearing his trademark red baseball cap...

Did I mention that he has 2 eyes, 2 ears, 1 nose, two hands, two feet, and a truck? Well, if I forgot to mention it, then let me just say that he has 2 eyes, 2 ears, 1 nose, two hands, two feet, and a truck. There, now you'll find him...
For Dov and the other two guys who care,
My real name really is
 Eli
Like the original Bendy, Ein hadavar talui ela bee

Time to create page: 0.51 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes