Welcome, Guest

New Jewish 12-Step Program
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Jewish 12-Step Program 480 Views

New Jewish 12-Step Program 12 May 2020 08:18 #349595

• Constant
  • Fresh Boarder
I have created a Jewish program of recovery based on the 6 Constant Mitzvos, as taught by Rav Berkowitz. Its main premises, and those which make the 12-Steps successful, are 1) that it's a simple program, 2) designed to provide a spiritual experience, 3) to turn one's life over to Hashem, 4) includes working with others. 

To learn more how it works, or to become a sponsor or a sponsee, including group meetings, please respond to this message.
Last Edit: 12 May 2020 08:43 by Constant. Reason: I put an exclamation point for my topic icon

Re: New Jewish 12-Step Program 12 May 2020 12:23 #349597

• shmuel
  • Current streak: 578 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Are you able to ahare more details?

Re: New Jewish 12-Step Program 12 May 2020 18:20 #349608

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
Constant wrote on 12 May 2020 08:18:
I have created a Jewish program of recovery based on the 6 Constant Mitzvos, as taught by Rav Berkowitz. Its main premises, and those which make the 12-Steps successful, are 1) that it's a simple program, 2) designed to provide a spiritual experience, 3) to turn one's life over to Hashem, 4) includes working with others. 

To learn more how it works, or to become a sponsor or a sponsee, including group meetings, please respond to this message.

Please share more details. ahavayirah@gmail.com
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: New Jewish 12-Step Program 13 May 2020 08:12 #349645

• Constant
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear Shmuel, thank you for your interest in the 6 Constant Mitzvos recovery program. 

To tell you a little bit about myself, I started going to SA about 6 years ago, and have not had a relapse since, baruch Hashem.  

About a year ago, I moved to a remote location in Jerusalem where there weren't any SA meetings. At the same time I had a baby, which pretty much locked me in. 

I therefore started to teach people in my neighborhood about the 12 Step Program, using a Torah language that people could understand.  

In so doing, I stumbled upon the root to 12 Step recovery as found in the Torah, in particular in the form of the 6 Constant Mitzvos.  

As a result of this finding I came across Rav Berkowitz' audio lecures on the 6CMs, and later read the Artscroll book based on his lectures.  

The similarities between this book and the Program are many, some of which are as follows:
  1. As the word "Constant" implies, the 6CMs are to be practiced "in all our affairs" (Step 12).
  2. Furthermore, it entails a spiritual experience, as the consciousness of Hashem is to be before us always (Mitzva 1 - Emuna).
  3. Powerlessness - the book 6 Constant Mitzvos explains that one with Emuna in Hashem, and no other gods (Mitzva 2) does not attribute power to anything else, even to himself.  
  4. In Mizvah 3 (Shema Yisrael) we take on ourselves "Ol Malchut Shamayim" which is turning our will and life over to the care of God. 
  5. In Mitzvah 4 is the element of working with others - that one's love for Hashem should be such that he wants to teach others of His beauty.
  6. Mitzvah 5 includes doing a Cheshbon Hanefesh - making a fearless and moral inventory of ourselves. 
  7. Mitzvah 6 is like Steps 10, 11, and 12 - the "maintenance steps" - to help us continue to practice the first 5 Mitzvahs. 

There are other similarities, but I will stop there.  I've always wanted a Jewish alternative to the 12 Step Program - not by linking the Steps up to Torah Mitzvos - but by finding the actual root to the solution of addiction in the Torah, and I think I've found it in the 6 Contstant Mitzvos.  

If you would like to go through these steps together with me, I have a system of 4 meetings over the course of 2 weeks where I can share with you all of this material.  

Looking forward to hearing from you, 

Adam 

Re: New Jewish 12-Step Program 13 May 2020 08:14 #349647

• Constant
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear David, thank you for your interest in the 6 Constant Mitzvos recovery program. 

To tell you a little bit about myself, I started going to SA about 6 years ago, and have not had a relapse since, baruch Hashem.  

About a year ago, I moved to a remote location in Jerusalem where there weren't any SA meetings. At the same time I had a baby, which pretty much locked me in. 

I therefore started to teach people in my neighborhood about the 12 Step Program, using a Torah language that people could understand.  

In so doing, I stumbled upon the root to 12 Step recovery as found in the Torah, in particular in the form of the 6 Constant Mitzvos.  

As a result of this finding I came across Rav Berkowitz' audio lecures on the 6CMs, and later read the Artscroll book based on his lectures.  

The similarities between this book and the Program are many, some of which are as follows:
  1. As the word "Constant" implies, the 6CMs are to be practiced "in all our affairs" (Step 12).
  2. Furthermore, it entails a spiritual experience, as the consciousness of Hashem is to be before us always (Mitzva 1 - Emuna).
  3. Powerlessness - the book 6 Constant Mitzvos explains that one with Emuna in Hashem, and no other gods (Mitzva 2) does not attribute power to anything else, even to himself. 
  4. In Mizvah 3 (Shema Yisrael) we take on ourselves "Ol Malchut Shamayim" which is turning our will and life over to the care of God.
  5. In Mitzvah 4 is the element of working with others - that one's love for Hashem should be such that he wants to teach others of His beauty.
  6. Mitzvah 5 includes doing a Cheshbon Hanefesh - making a fearless and moral inventory of ourselves.
  7. Mitzvah 6 is like Steps 10, 11, and 12 - the "maintenance steps" - to help us continue to practice the first 5 Mitzvahs.

There are other similarities, but I will stop there.  I've always wanted a Jewish alternative to the 12 Step Program - not by linking the Steps up to Torah Mitzvos - but by finding the actual root to the solution of addiction in the Torah, and I think I've found it in the 6 Contstant Mitzvos.  

If you would like to go through these steps together with me, I have a system of 4 meetings over the course of 2 weeks where I can share with you all of this material.  

Looking forward to hearing from you, 

​Adam 

Re: New Jewish 12-Step Program 14 May 2020 08:51 #349697

• Constant
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi David, would you like to work the mitzvas together with me? It's only a few hours' commitment and provides growth both for the active and recovered addict.  What is your number, we can talk about this in more detail over the phone/zoom.

Re: New Jewish 12-Step Program 14 May 2020 08:52 #349698

• Constant
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Shmuel, would you like to work the mitzvas together with me? It's only a few hours' commitment and provides growth both for the active and recovered addict.  What is your number, we can talk about this in more detail over the phone/zoom.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes