Welcome, Guest

Before V After (part 2)
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Before V After (part 2) 1436 Views

Before V After (part 2) 22 Oct 2018 16:41 #336513

• notgod
  • Fresh Boarder
Acceptance
Before recovery:  I considered myself a good frum believing Jew, with plenty of bitachon in Hashem.

After entering recovery:  I came to understand that I had zero trust in Hashem to run my life.  I was convinced that really I was the one in control.  It was all good saying that Hashem runs the world etc , but it was always with a big "provided" that everything worked out on my terms.  I have come to realise that when I get angry and frustrated when life doesn't work out exactly as I want it to, I am basically saying to God:
"excuse me God, but you're not really doing a good job of running my life.  If I was in charge, I would have a much better job, wife etc...". 
In short, my Ego says I can do a better job of running my life and I know much better than God does what is best for me.

This is why I found Step 3 so hard and yet so crucial to my recovery:
Step 3 - one of the most challenging parts for me of making a decision to "turn our lives over to [God]" is that I am not just turning my lust over to God, but every single aspect of my life,  including my finances, my wife's emotions and the well-being of my children.  All the things that I thought previously I was in charge of.
I need to learn to accept life on God's terms, not mine.  I know that Hashem can't possibly do a worst job of running my life than I had all those years before recovery, when I thought I was in control of my life.
I have come to accept (one day at a time), that it is my own personal God, who loves me unconditionally and has infinite power, running the show, and nothing, nothing happens by chance and everything has a reason.

Honesty
I have also come to realise that real honesty is when I am able to admit my "truth" to another (safe) human being.
Ideas and thoughts that I keep locked in my head often have no connection to reality or the truth and until I am willing to share them, I am not at one with them.

Oneexample of many:  I have always 'known' and preached to others that parnassa is in God's hands.  However I never 'lived this truth' until I was able to admit openly and honestly to a friend that I am a failure at making money and the successes I enjoyed in the past were only because of Hashem.  

Re: Before V After (part 2) 22 Oct 2018 17:04 #336514

• Eyeglasses
  • Expert Boarder
Every word of yours is pure Gold!!
Last Edit: 22 Oct 2018 17:04 by Eyeglasses. Reason: missing word
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes