Welcome, Guest

Sight is a wonderful sense
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sight is a wonderful sense 1463 Views

Sight is a wonderful sense 22 Sep 2016 05:01 #295473

20:12 The hearing ear and the seeing eye, the Lord has made even both of them.

Rashi: The hearing ear and the seeing eye, etc.: They are His handiwork, and He desires an ear that hears reproof and an eye that sees what will develop.

This article is based on a commentary on torah.us.fm

The physical ear, and the sense of sound; The physical eye, and the sense of sight. God created even both of them, both  the physical organ and the sense; R. David Altschuler

Three messages we can take from this verse:

I Take seriously the information we get from our senses:

When a person wants to know a whether a certain event was good or bad he must check the facts out carefully using his eyes and his ears; A fool, on the other hand makes up his mind on the basis of his fixed world view or views he happens to align himself with, he is not interested in the facts.

We have to relate with respect to what  our eyes see and what our ears hear.

(A person whose eyes are overtaken by immodesty, does not have full use of his sense of sight and the quality of his perception of events suffers. )

II Be grateful to G-d that He created the senses. We should use the senses God has given us for the good and in keeping with His will.

The verse alludes to proof  that there exists a Creator of the Universe (according to the book "God plays dice" by Rabbi Michael Avraham, page 386 onwards; according to the book "Metaphysics" by Richard Taylor, page 155 onwards). To explain the proof, we use the following analogy:

A man is riding on a  train to Scotland. After a while, he sees a message which reads 'Welcome to Scotland'. He has two ways of interpreting this message: One possibility is the message was created by an intelligent  planner and that it really reflects reality, the second is that the message was created by chance and has no connection to reality. In the first case he should collect his belongings and prepare to disembark, in the second he should ignore the message and continue to travel. If we see that he gathers his belongings and gets off the train, we can conclude that he believes that the message was created by an intelligent  planner.

So too with our senses. Our senses - that most important of which are the hearing ear and the seeing eye - are a complex system. As above, there are two possibilities : to assume the system was created by the Creator, and therefore reflects reality, or to assume that it was created by chance; in which case there, is no reason to think that it reflects reality.

Those who behave according to their senses, indicate that they believe unconsciously that this system was created by an intelligent designer - God made even both of them.

Our ear is capable of hearing reality, and our eye is capable of seeing reality, both a gift from God and we should be grateful to Him for both of them

Our eyes and the sense of sight give us the ability to perceive reality. We should have gratitude and take care of it… but watching promo is the exact opposite. It is taking this important gift and wrecking it.

III Be conscious of G-d's constant supervision.

Since G-d created the eyes and the sense of sight and the ears and the sense of hearing then certainly He can see and hear all our doings.

"Contemplate on three things, and you will not come to the hands of transgression: Know what is above from you: a seeing eye, a listening ear, and all your deeds being inscribed in a book."

(Ethics of the Fathers 2:1; R Moshe David Valle).

Promo is an act that is forbidden by Torah.  This means that it is a harmful thing that does not lead to any good.

Psalms 94:9 :

94:9 Will He Who implants the ear not hear or will He Who forms the eye not see?

The way to leave this bad habit behind is by daily Torah study.

"Even so did the Holy One, blessed be He, speak unto Israel: ‘My children! I created the Evil Desire, but I [also] created the Torah, as its antidote; if you occupy yourselves with the Torah, you will not be delivered into his hand."

From a lecture by R Noach Weinberg OBM I give you  this idea:  make a list of 10 things that you suffer from because of your habit of gazing at immodest images. Since this is a habit you have to stop at some point, imagine how good it will be when these 10 things no longer plague you.

Talmud Kidushin 30b. Even so did the Holy One, blessed be He, speak unto Israel: ‘My children! I created the Evil Desire, but I [also] created the Torah, as its antidote; if you occupy yourselves with the Torah, you will not be delivered into his hand."

Looking for an escape? Escape to Torah!
Last Edit: 22 Sep 2016 05:40 by anonymous_14.1.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes