Welcome, Guest

How to Stop Worrying and Start Living - Daytight compartments
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to Stop Worrying and Start Living - Daytight compartments 1066 Views

How to Stop Worrying and Start Living - Daytight compartments 25 Nov 2012 20:37 #148496

• avi4853
Over the course of my struggle with lust, I have found myself worrying and agonizing about "How am I going to make it through the day? I have nothing to do, no one to talk to, no where to go, and no way of getting there!" I would spend hours agonizing over the inevitable fall that was going to happen and when the self-fulfilling prophesy was fulfilled, I felt like garbage. I would often fall again and again over the course of a vacation and would feel like a complete and utter lowlife. All of my friends would talk about what a great time they had had over the course of the break, while I would mutter about "just chilling" even though I felt like dying inside.

I cam across a book recently that I have found very useful in combating the underlying anxiety that I have been dealing with for years, which I only discovered recently was intertwined with my lust addiction. The book is entitled "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living", and I would like to share some of the ideas that he mentions and present them in a way that is applicable to us.

In one of the first chapters in the book, Carnegie talks about the idea of "Daytight Compartments". The idea is that to prevent anxiety, only focus on today; ignore the mistakes of yesterday, and don't dwell about the challenges that lie ahead. Take it slow; baby-steps, manageable portions.

One day at a time doesn't mean ignore tomorrow; be responsible and prepare for it within reason. Dwelling and agonizing over it didn't help me and it probably hasn't helped anyone. There's no way to function well today if you are staring with fear at the next date on the calender.

This idea can be carried into our battles with lust. If we focus on the falls of yesterday, we will never be able or willing to pull ourselves out of the mud. If we constantly worry about being able to prevail tomorrow, we will never be able to surmount the huge ladder that is our existence.

The only way we can overcome our is if we take it slow, only focusing on the present, and B'ezras Hashem, we will be Misgaber.

Re: How to Stop Worrying and Start Living - Daytight compartments 26 Nov 2012 15:34 #148527

Very insightful. Thanx for sharing. Hope you are successful in actually utilizing this info to overcome your issues.

Hatzlacha

MT

Re: How to Stop Worrying and Start Living - Daytight compartments 29 Nov 2012 21:09 #148687

• avi4853
Thanks. It's not easy to avoid feeling overwhelmed by the future, but I've found it much easier to live in the present than any other time.

Re: How to Stop Worrying and Start Living - Daytight compartments 13 Feb 2013 23:20 #202185

• skeptical
Great Advice!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes