Welcome, Guest

Story of that "illui"
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Story of that "illui" 2175 Views

Story of that "illui" 10 Jun 2010 08:02 #69830

Sorry, for privacy I deleted this post.
Last Edit: 22 Jul 2010 02:19 by .

Re: Story of that "illui" 10 Jun 2010 10:27 #69839

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
Wow, what a story. What a soul. It seems you've come a long way and pretty much know what you have to do. But I'll say it anyway. When will you start joining a live SA group in your area? As Rabbi Twerski says, if a person has cancer r"l, nothing will stop him from doing all he can to heal. We have a spiritual cancer and must do all we can. If you had the strength to go against your parents and change your life at the age of 11, surely you have what it takes to take that important step. Let nothing stop you. The live meetings are your biggest hope at this point.

Read the handbooks on our site as well (download on the home-page, top right), but in my opinion, in your situation, only live 12-Step meetings and working the steps with a sponsor can really help you change inside the way you obviously want to.

May Hashem be with you.
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by .

Re: Story of that "illui" 10 Jun 2010 13:06 #69854

• briut
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Bechori Reuven wrote on 10 Jun 2010 08:02:
I need is to know others went this way before and were able to go on a path of mending their ways and their character and how to go about doing it practically.

Short answer: yes.

Folks here have been down every flavor of that path.
The paths might seem different at first.
But it's all the same path.
The way out might seem different as you get to "know" the "virtual voices" here.
But it's the same way out. And the "virtual" voices are probably more real, more honest, more soul-searching, than anything you've ever known in your trying, tortured life!!

And there IS a way out. And with all the brains, heart etc that people see in you -- you'll get there.

I agree with Guard about options for live meetings, or at least phone calls. I'll also say something "big" here. Obviously we don't know each other right now, but...  -- in my opinion folks need Daas Torah to work through this. Especially if their yeshiva life is falling apart. You've got to figure out how to open up to a posek who can help. Yep, like your Rosh Yeshiva. Very painful, perhaps, but very helpful. If it saves your learning and your yeshiva career, isn't it worth putting it ALL on the line for the sake of Hashem? You don't need to answer now, just think about it.

Again, welcome aboard, you gibbur you.

Re: Story of that "illui" 10 Jun 2010 17:32 #69904

• admin2
Hi Reuven,

I'd recommend trying to chip away at all the surrounding discomfort and actually seeing if you can participate in some live SA meetings in your area. That would also be your best route to meeting all different people who can deeply relate to you and help you, and this will be a big step in finding the right sponsor. If you want real help, it's integral that you don't simply rely on GYE and their anonymous phone conferences.

Best of wishes,
admin2

Re: Story of that "illui" 10 Jun 2010 18:07 #69916

• the.guard
In this case I agree with Admin2!
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.

Re: Story of that "illui" 10 Jun 2010 19:01 #69935

• the.guard
You can follow the handbook in progressive order and see if that helps, before trying the groups. Duvid Chaim's group should be restarting a new cycle in a few weeks. Meanwhile, join Elya's group.

If you join the live groups, there's no need to shave at all. Rabbi Twerski's contact for the 12-Step groups is a white-stocking chassid. Many frum yidden with long beards join these groups. Just be yourself. Everyone there understands you. Your secret is their secret. And all addicts understand that religion (externals) don't stop a disease, so there's nothing to be ashamed of.

See also this story: www.guardureyes.com/GUE/OurStories/RecStory10.asp

Re: Story of that "illui" 10 Jun 2010 19:10 #69937

• elya k
  • Gold Boarder
We're meeting tonight at 9 Eastern.
712-429-0690    PIN 225356.
You don't have to shave your beard off to join the phone group 
Elya K was the first  GYE hotline moderator for couples struggling with Shmiras Eiynaim issues in their marriage.  Elya is the author of 6 books, among them Navigating the Phases of Sex Addiction Recovery, Help Her Heal with Carol Sheets,  Ambushed by Betrayal: The Survival Guide for Betrayed Partners on their Heroes’ Journey to Healthy Intimacy with Michele Saffier. 

FREE EBOOK ON THE GYE SITE AT: Mask In the Mirror (guardyoureyes.com)

Elya K. has been coaching people worldwide for over 10 years for Shmiras Eiyanim issues. 
For a free 15 minute consultation call 901-248-6001.

Re: Story of that "illui" 10 Jun 2010 20:26 #69951

• the.guard
Bechori Reuven wrote on 10 Jun 2010 19:45:

Elya wrote on 10 Jun 2010 19:10:

We're meeting tonight at 9 Eastern.
712-429-0690    PIN 225356.
You don't have to shave your beard off to join the phone group 

Thanks =), I was wondering what sefer to use for my moral inventory.. Does Chesbon Hanefesh deal with traits and attitudes that us addicts are lacking or flawed in? Or perhaps my moral inventory should be done through Orchot Tzadikim, which has more traits ( could also be a negative, might be overwhelming) but is much more vague?

For your moral inventory, I would use the big book. It was written for addicts.

Orchos Tzadikim is also great. See what Rabbi Twerski writes here: www.guardureyes.com/GUE/RTwerski/Can'tStop.asp

Re: Story of that "illui" 10 Jun 2010 21:31 #69967

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder

For recovery I went through it all, Iyun gemara, mussar, kabala, twerski, everything and anything i could to help myself.. I still was in denial.. Then a while back I discover the 12 steps, SA, AA books... I went through them again and again, realizing my problems and their solutions, I have a clear understanding at my problem today..

Re: Story of that "illui" 11 Jun 2010 12:42 #70109

• jooboy
  • Gold Boarder
Bechori,

I would just second the Guard.  Live SA groups are VERY powerful.

Re: Story of that "illui" 11 Jun 2010 18:01 #70181

• yedidyaaleph
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Gold Boarder

At a young age I got accepted to a prestigious university and after a semester there, I left to a bt yeshiva. I went agianst my family, my own goyish values, and after 4 months there
a "top" yeshiva, "top shuir" in bk.

For recovery I went through it all, Iyun gemara, mussar, kabala, twerski, everything and anything i could to help myself..

Then a while back I discover the 12 steps, SA, AA books... I went through them again and again, realizing my problems and their solutions, I have a clear understanding at my problem today..  for, my diseased middos, which i nurtured over the years, my resentments, which I'm
the emptiness and hunger for Hashem the Rosh yeshiva thinks highly of me, giving me special attention and care.. calling me a gaon.. what they all don't see is that I'm just messed up. afraid of dealing with my wrongs and my attitudes.. please help me.. give me chizuk , let me know that I can, with work , fix my attitudes. Im still so young,

My  tayereh zisseh holy brother, Shalom U'vracho
Please do chazoroh on the Twersky stuff. U r not in denial .U must focus on the positive and keep moving forward. U have obviously a very chosheve neshomo with unlimited potential for growth. do me a tova ,please focus on that.
have a look at the YESOD HA Tshuva printed at the end of Shar'ei Tshuva also in some machozorim. Follow Rabbeinu Yonah's instructions,u must let go of your past and start over like a newborn. U have done so much work on your recovery and can not afford to throw it away. Please keep us posted on your progress. May Hashem grant u the strength to overcome the temptation to self denegrate! this in my humble opinion is atoz y.h. Have a great Shabbos!

Re: Story of that "illui" 13 Jun 2010 10:57 #70286

• DovInIsrael
shalom BR -

ok - heres a question for the "illui"  -
why was Avraham avinu sent to Mitzrayim?

after all he was doign Hashem will, and was known as the ultimate in giving, especially welcoming guests.

answer I heard..

becausse Hashem realyl wanted Avraham to know what it feels like to be a stranger in a foreign land.

Ever stop to think about how incredibly lucky and fortunate you are? and how much Hashem loves YOU!

ok - so you have some struggles... but think about how relatable you will be to others because once you get through it ( which BE"H you will ) others will be able to look up to you with a sense of renewed hope and courage to carrry on the struggle.

and not only that - think about how far you have come and what you have accomplished while carrying such a heavy burdein on your back!

WOW!!!
you are one attitude away from having the clarity and freedom to REALLY come up with some incredibel chidduchim!!!

take the step - make the leap .. and join a 12-step group or get a sponsor...

dov.ii

Re: Story of that "illui" 13 Jun 2010 11:51 #70295

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
Something went awry with my response above.  The quote came out, but my message didn't.

I meant to write:

I had also read through the Big Book several times.  But, it didn't really help much until I went through it with Duvid Chaim's phone group, with a human being who has been through the process guiding me through it.  As part of DC's group, I was surprised how simple and powerful the steps are if you do them properly.  Yet, I wouldn't have ever figured out on my own how to do them.

--Eye.

Re: Story of that "illui" 21 Jun 2010 14:23 #71549

• yedidyaaleph
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Gold Boarder
[quote="Bechori Reuven" link=topic=2615.msg69830#msg69830 date=1276156961]
        and the yesod of it all, the emptiness and hunger for Hashem that I have been trying to fill with Lust. 
my dear holy brother,B.R. ,
Hoping that u r doing well and moving forward in your recovery. r u still looking for a sponser to check in with? my offer still stands. I was rereading your post and found the above line to be a very deep insight and profound concept. I really believe that u have gotten to the very core of most of our addictive behaviors. Chazak V'Amatz!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes