Welcome, Guest
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hello 1562 Views

Hello 01 Jun 2010 20:53 #68191

• Refugee
  • Current streak: 78 days
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey GYE...thanks for being here for me. I don't really know what i'm supposed to write here, so here it goes.

I'm a mid 20's single guy trying to grow in Avodah but struggling with staying "clean." I come from a loving and caring family, and have B"H great relationships with my parents, and we all became baalai teshuva together. I first became religious when I went to Yeshiva in Isreal after high school, and after living an "active" high school life, have been struggling with shmiras haGuf ever since. There have been ups and downs, times when I've thought I conquered my problem, and times when I though I couldn't begin to get away from it. Recently, I signed up for the 90 day journey, and hope to try and to get on a rhythm and beat this addiction.

If anyone has any words of advice or anything, I would really appreciate it.

Kol Tuv,

YHM
Last Edit: by .

Re: Hello 01 Jun 2010 21:03 #68192

• briut
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Very cool. Welcome aboard.

I assume that if you've signed up for the 90-day thing, you've also explored the various handbooks etc that are on the main page of the site. I would expect that folks of your generation would connect to the "First Day of the Rest of My Life" story (hyperlink on the right side). Obviously, there's more.

As to what's gonna help you here, I've got no crystal ball here to say. My own suggestion is to post more details about yourself, your struggles, what's working & ch'v the opposite, etc. Also, remember that reading and posting on others' threads can help them and actually help you, too.

Starting while single, and while 'young' (sorry, I'm so old that mid-20s is now sounding like young) is a terrific thing. Kol haKavod.

- Briut

PS: In case you haven't heard, the administrator known as Guard is off fundraising etc. over the next couple of days. So if you have any administrative type questions over the next day or two, maybe try a private message (click on 'new message,' eh?) to one of the guys with hundreds of posts next to their names. They can help. (Me, included.)
Last Edit: 12 Jun 2010 21:06 by .

Re: Hello 01 Jun 2010 21:04 #68195

• commando612
Welcome yhm84 !

Glad to have you join us !

The admin usually welcomes new people, but this week he's on a special mission for GYE, so here's a link to a typical welcome message, which contains lots of great tips:
www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2317.msg64898#msg64898

Re: Hello 01 Jun 2010 21:45 #68205

• kollel guy
  • Current streak: 15 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey, welcome aboard!

It's kinda hard to tell from your post if your just a normal guy stuggling with some normal taivos, or if your someone suffering from a full blown addiction which can literally destroy ones life.

Nobody will ever tell you that shmiras haguf is not important, or that you should not be concerned if your pogem c"v. But it's a normal problem which people have had since the beginning of time, and therefore it requires normal dealing with and you'll be fine. (Look into The meaning of Teshuvah, the cause of your falls, the extra time on your hands which allows for it etc.) Most people who struggle only with mb and/or occaisional issurim with women, stop completely after their married. (most)

However, if your problem is deeper than that, then the solution might not be that simple, and might require more than "some good chizuk". For that you have the handbooks and lots of good company here to help you out.

Regardless, Hang in there!
KG

Re: Hello 01 Jun 2010 23:06 #68219

• yedidyaaleph
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Gold Boarder
Welcome! From what i was able to glean ,sounds like you are very normal. Great to hear that you have a good relationship with your parents!  I have learned from my years in 12 step meetings that strengthening relationships& getting out of our self-centeredness is a cornerstone to recovery. I am jealous that both you and your parents became frum. I grew up in traditional non-religious family and b'Chasdei Hashem ended up in yeshiva becoming a "black-hatter"  after graduation from college. My parents ,although supportive never advanced in their observance. Baruch Hashem,I was did not fit in on the social scene,so min hashamayim i was spared being "nichshol" with any actual s* encounters. However,p* & m* were pretty prevelant as I was growing up.
What seems very frustrating for me it while part of me it very "frum" and serious about avodas Hashem, part of me is very rebelious and there is a "stop gap" between what I understand to be the Ratzon of Hashem and my actions/thoughts. This is where the addiction "takes over" and the compulsion to "act-out" (albeit in private) becomes overwhelming. Anyway another part of this mishigos is the social isolation. So here I am reaching out to help you and I am deriving chizuk by breaking out.  Bracha v'hatzlocha! Feel free to share more info about what your struggles are.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes