Welcome, Guest

Finally convinced
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Finally convinced 1791 Views

Finally convinced 24 May 2010 02:12 #66350

• PJ
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey everyone, im not new to this website and certainly not to this trap we've all fallen into. i have been keeping up with the chizuk emails and the handbooks and its been over 5 months but as everyday passes by i feel that i am the same person as the person who didnt know about this website and how bad this addiction is 5months ago. I felt i can do it all alone by my self without posting and sharing but now  im convinced that its impossible and you need help to win this struggle and battle im faced with. I am 20 years of old and my biggest Y'H is my computer, i have always installed web filters but i found ways around it which really hurts when i think about it, but i still try to keep clean.
i know that its a very very hard struggle im faced with but non the less doable so please let me know of any ideas that might have helped you guys and B'h we should all be free of this addiction sooon.
Last Edit: by .

Re: Finally convinced 24 May 2010 02:40 #66351

• oneday
  • Current streak: 4 days
  • Fresh Boarder
Welcome to the forum! This is definitely a great step as now you have a place to post and ask about ANYTHING! May Hashem give you the strength to become free of this disease.

Re: Finally convinced 24 May 2010 05:43 #66364

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
First of all, realizing that it IS possible is a major step forward. Before I started here, I didn't really believe that I could actually do it.

So, Welcome, Reb PJ! Stop and think for a minute - you're one of the very few people in the world that have decided to stop doing this aveirah, and are actually taking steps to grow in this area. That's amazing, and i feel honored to share this forum with you!

I know that for me, opening up and discussing my struggles, and how I felt about them, as well as the rest of my life, helped me move forward. You might want to try the same.

Re: Finally convinced 30 May 2010 23:10 #67650

• PJ
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Fresh Boarder
My entire family went out to a park for the whole day and since i have a final in two days i couldnt go with them. now im home alone and i have to study from the computer but the y"h is pushing me and i dont want to fall after being clean for 7 days so please please give some chizuk so i could make it out of this battle clean.
thank you

Re: Finally convinced 31 May 2010 00:57 #67655

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I'd recommend getting out of the house - go for a walk. You need to study? Find a way to study offline, or at least get a friend, and study together, or go to someplace public. Print out a bunch of pages, and study from them. Call a friend up, and study together over the phone.

As far as feeling frustrated, you've gotta change your focus. If it becomes a struggle "yes, I need it," "no, I can't," "I must, I'll explode if I don't," "c'mon, you know you really don't want to" - it's only a matter of time before you fall. You've gotta think about something else, do something else. Have a few other things you can focus on.

Re: Finally convinced 31 May 2010 16:38 #67823

• briut
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
silentbattle wrote on 31 May 2010 00:57:

As far as feeling frustrated, you've gotta change your focus. If it becomes a struggle "yes, I need it," "no, I can't," "I must, I'll explode if I don't," "c'mon, you know you really don't want to" - it's only a matter of time before you fall.

SB has it right. Could I try for one little addition that works for me, in case it's at all instructive for you (and if not, please forgive me and move on).

I can't send the Yetzer away permanently. (I'm guessing Hashem keeps sending him back for a reason, and hence I have to believe the reason is ultimately a loving one. But I digress.)

However, I find I can send him away for an HOUR.  As in,

> "hello, again. yes, I'd LOVE to invite you in. But I'm on a conference call right now. Very important. Could you come back in an hour? I'd be happy to give you EVERYTHING YOU DESERVE when you return." Or perhaps as in,
> "Hi, dude. Howzit hanging, eh? Oh, anyhow, I just ordered us a big pizza with everything but my car, like, died. Could you go and pick it up for us? I'll have some drinks waiting for us in about 30 minutes when you return. You're like the best, dude."

A temporary delay often leads me to find something POSITIVE that is compelling enough to keep me from answering the doorbell when he returns in an hour. And the funnier I make the excuse, the better it seems to work. The Yetzer Hara JUST LOVES good excuses, especially if it's one he's never heard before. (And he's heard them ALL. And whispered them ALL in our ears hoping we'd use those excuses ourselves to justify our aveiros.)

Whaddy think? Crazy? or Magic? or both??
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes