Welcome, Guest
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: Shoin do 841 Views

Re: Shoin do 11 Jan 2024 02:47 #406841

• zzz613
  • Senior Boarder
siyatta wrote on 10 Jan 2024 18:11:
Hey all, quick update, I wanted to share my success, B'H at 20 days today! this is a huge accomplishment for me. I don't know the last time I made it this long, probably around the Yomim Noraim, which is less of a kunss.

As I wrote previously Wednesdays are my hardest day of the week, part of it I think is biological as I tend to do the mitzvah me'erev Shabbos le'erev shabbos, so Wednesday is far away from the last one and the next time is not right around the corner either. I tried adding another day in the week but as we know it takes 2 to tango (k'pshuto). I guess I can't complain as I'm reading threads of the giborim here who don't have the weekly either, Hashem yaazor.
The other aspect is the relative lack of structure for me on Wednesdays, I find that when my structure is disrupted and I have extra unstructured time on my hands, anything can happen.
I said the yehi ratzon after birchas hashachar this morning with extra kavana (the words are powerful, if you're ever awake enough to think about it ואל תשלט בנו יצהר הרע וכו).

I can't break this streak at this point! Hashem help me!

wow! great to hear your success.
​especially with overcoming your specific hardship (wednesday).

looking forward to hearing more good news!

Re: Shoin do 24 Jan 2024 18:17 #407539

• siyatta
  • Current streak: 99 days
  • Senior Boarder
B'H here I am with 34 days of sobriety and I can't believe I made it this far, yet I the same time I can't believe I was once so shakua that such a goal would have been impossible. My seder hayom is solid with time for mussar, as well as GYE which has been instrumental for me thus far. Even when I'm not posting, just reading some of the posts gives be tremendous chizuk and keeps me focused on my goal, so a big shkoiach to all of you.

While the streak isn't everything, it helps to have that motivation to keep it going and not ruin it. I also think it helps to very disciplined with shmiras eynayiim even on the street. If I'm driving and sense and dvar ervah walking on the street, I've been trying to overcome the natural curiosity to even get the first look. The more times I was able to do that the stronger I've felt overall.

I felt myself slipping in this regard the last few days by letting my curiosity get the better of me. Due to yeshiva week I took my kids around and was out of my regular routine. I can tell that my machshavos started slipping as well. B'h I'm back to work and hopefully back on schedule. I know these milchamos seem minor but I know from experience that it can snowball from here and fast...

One thought, I used to take my kids to the beach (I live in FL, sorry for the chevra up north) for a free activity that keeps them busy for hours. I would also try to find relatively emptier spots so we're not inundated with ervah. L'chaora it's pashut that I don't belong anywhere near the beach, as there are always triggers. Anyone else battle with this? 

One more point, I noticed with speaking to a few of the tzadikim here who gave me chizuk that the people who have gone on this journey have really grown in ahavas Hashem and dveykus etc. I understand that perhaps this is the real point of going through this terrible nisayon....if in the end of it we wind up more refined and more connected with the Aibishter. That's probably the real way to really get past this, not just counting a clean streak. So I wanted to ask the chevra, what's the derech to start growing in these areas to truly overcome this yetzer once and for all?
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes