Welcome, Guest

What is it about the nighttime?
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!
  • Page:

TOPIC: What is it about the nighttime? 247 Views

What is it about the nighttime? 13 Dec 2023 05:42 #404906

• joejew1234
  • Fresh Boarder
The day is over... the peace of night is available... and I end up going on the phone.  It starts innocent enough... just checking on things, and then I notice, as if by itself, my hand is in my pocket... touch, rubbing.  Feels good,  I don't even notice it.  But then I do.  And in that moment I can choose - to do what's right and good and pure, to be a ben torah, an eved Hashem... or I choose to be a horny man who enjoys how it feels.  

what am I looking for?  why do I do this?  is there something wrong with me?  something wrong with all of us here??

I'm so tired of this, so ashamed
just go to sleep, you can stop now... but no
I go into the bathroom
all alone 
with the screen and it's temptations
and I give in
I see you all here posting courageously and I just can't do it, I don't want to join the convo, I'm too tired.  Leave me alone problem, just let me be

sometimes I've won this battle
sometimes!

for years this was under control
and now It's back
but now It comes with shame, disappointment, expectations, worry 

I don't know what else to say
I'm here
I want to do better
but I'm so so tired 

Re: What is it about the nighttime? 13 Dec 2023 09:15 #404911

• frank.lee
  • Current streak: 333 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Do you read The battle of the Generation?

Re: What is it about the nighttime? 13 Dec 2023 12:58 #404914

• notezy
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
having nothing to do can lead to sin.
When it's time for bed especially when you have been putting off facing something (like stress) all day
you don't have anything else left to do (distract yourself from it) so staying up can be asking for trouble.

however I found it hard to go to bed sometimes and it would lead to this.
I would recommend try to stay off media and devices before bed because they help us disassociate but not decompress.

Something else:
​I think it's normal to have stronger urges at night because throughout the day you are busy and 
you might be subconsciously putting it off (urges) for later and then it hits you when you have free time at night.
You no longer have an excuse to put it off, then it overwhelms you.

I hope this was applicable to you and helpful.
"Excuses are the tools of incompetence" -My Friends Friend. 

"Change will lead to insight far more often than insight will lead to change" -Milton H. Erickson
Last Edit: 13 Dec 2023 16:44 by notezy. Reason: typos

Re: What is it about the nighttime? 13 Dec 2023 15:31 #404919

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
joejew1234 wrote on 13 Dec 2023 05:42:
The day is over... the peace of night is available... and I end up going on the phone.  It starts innocent enough... just checking on things, and then I notice, as if by itself, my hand is in my pocket... touch, rubbing.  Feels good,  I don't even notice it.  But then I do.  And in that moment I can choose - to do what's right and good and pure, to be a ben torah, an eved Hashem... or I choose to be a horny man who enjoys how it feels.  

what am I looking for?  why do I do this?  is there something wrong with me?  something wrong with all of us here??

It's a disease. This disease is in OUR minds. It IS our minds. It's a voice, telling us that lust is something that we want. That lust is a solution to our problems, that it'll make us feel good. But that voice IS NOT ME!! It's the disease talking.

For some people, the voice is really loud. Especially when we're in a bad groove. When we're in fall, it's so hard to separate the strong feelings and identify them as sick ones.

But every time we desist, with Hashem's help, the sick voices shrink back a little bit. Some of us can even go for a long time having the voice be really quiet, not bothering us much.

But this is what we need to do. We tell those voices: "I KNOW WHO YOU ARE! I've seen you before. I know what you're trying to do! Quiet down please; I'm trying to live! You've made me so miserable!"

R' Aharon Leib Shteinman z"l once said that the place to daven for lust addiction is in "refa'enu", not 'Hashivaynu", or "slach lanu". This is very important to remember.

Let us surrender this disease and all our negative traits. And let us - the REAL us - connect with Hashem. It's a tremendous pity if we feel too guilty to even allow ourselves to get closer to Him, which is what we really want! Let us love Hashem. Let us feel loved by Him.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: What is it about the nighttime? 13 Dec 2023 19:10 #404957

• joejew1234
  • Fresh Boarder
frank.lee wrote on 13 Dec 2023 09:15:
Do you read The battle of the Generation?

I haven't but I've downloaded it!  I plan to start reading it

Re: What is it about the nighttime? 13 Dec 2023 19:12 #404958

• joejew1234
  • Fresh Boarder
they help us disassociate but not decompress.

This is a fascinating point - big aha moment - can you speak more on it please?

Re: What is it about the nighttime? 13 Dec 2023 19:19 #404959

• joejew1234
  • Fresh Boarder
R' Aharon Leib Shteinman z"l once said that the place to daven for lust addiction is in "refa'enu", not 'Hashivaynu", or "slach lanu". This is very important to remember.

Beautiful message thank you!
Super interesting point re: R Shteinman!  Refa'enu is there place to daven because he's saying it's more of a sickness than a regular avera we'd ask forgiveness for?
Thanks for your thoughts

Re: What is it about the nighttime? 13 Dec 2023 21:42 #404971

• true_self
  • Current streak: 42 days
  • Platinum Boarder
joejew1234 wrote on 13 Dec 2023 19:19:

Beautiful message thank you!
Super interesting point re: R Shteinman!  Refa'enu is there place to daven because he's saying it's more of a sickness than a regular avera we'd ask forgiveness for?
Thanks for your thoughts

In addition you can also daven at the end of shemoneh esrei with your own words, it's the most helpful for me.
My thread: From two identities to True self

If you want to reachout to me to talk please email: wish2banonym@gmail.com

Re: What is it about the nighttime? 13 Dec 2023 21:51 #404975

• notezy
  • Platinum Boarder
They can be over stimulating which can be distracting and help you disassociate from reality but that won't help you decompress if you're stressed. although it might give the illusion of it.

"Change will lead to insight far more often than insight will lead to change" -Milton H. Erickson

Re: What is it about the nighttime? 13 Dec 2023 23:43 #404982

I go into the bathroom
all alone 
and I give in
I see you all here posting courageously and I just can't do it, I don't want to join the convo, I'm too tired.  Leave me alone problem, just let me be

sometimes!

and now It's back

I'm here
I want to do better
but I'm so so tired 

I completely identify with this.
I don't have much else to say. But have you considered filtering your phone? Or if you have filter, getting rid of the phone totally? 95% of the battle is avoiding the fight.
We are not the same people we once were. We are not so locked into our urges that we have no choice. We can choose to give in or choose to win this battle today. We do not want to give in, the pleasure of giving in is false. 
With Hashem on our side our victory is inevitable; the only way we can lose is by giving up on playing the game.

Re: What is it about the nighttime? 14 Dec 2023 04:49 #404995

• joejew1234
  • Fresh Boarder

In addition you can also daven at the end of shemoneh esrei with your own words, it's the most helpful for me.

Yes, me too  

Re: What is it about the nighttime? 14 Dec 2023 04:50 #404996

• joejew1234
  • Fresh Boarder
notezy wrote on 13 Dec 2023 21:51:
They can be over stimulating which can be distracting and help you disassociate from reality but that won't help you decompress if you're stressed. although it might give the illusion of it.

What do you use for decompression at the end of the day?

Re: What is it about the nighttime? 14 Dec 2023 04:52 #404997

• joejew1234
  • Fresh Boarder
chooseurname wrote on 13 Dec 2023 23:43:

I go into the bathroom
all alone 
and I give in

sometimes!

and now It's back

I'm here
I want to do better
but I'm so so tired 

I completely identify with this.
I don't have much else to say. But have you considered filtering your phone? Or if you have filter, getting rid of the phone totally? 95% of the battle is avoiding the fight.

Yes I hear you, I’m not ready / able to get rid of the all the tech right now… 

Re: What is it about the nighttime? 14 Dec 2023 08:11 #405004

• notezy
  • Platinum Boarder
I am not sure I have found anything that really works other than kind of doing nothing I mean no devices not even a book kind of letting your brain work itself down finish processing everything from the day as you would do before bed. I used to meditate but I would make it into to much of a routine so I stopped
I find that just doing a basic end of night routine without distractions like a phone is surprisingly peaceful and helps decompress.
cleaning showering dealing with basic chores of the night making dinner all this without distracting yourself with devices is the simplist most affective way to decompress.

Last Edit: 14 Dec 2023 08:13 by notezy. Reason: typo

Re: What is it about the nighttime? 14 Dec 2023 17:17 #405014

• chaimoigen
  • Current streak: 458 days
  • Platinum Boarder
joejew1234 wrote on 14 Dec 2023 04:50:

notezy wrote on 13 Dec 2023 21:51:

What do you use for decompression at the end of the day?

Connection

Personally, these days I lay next to my wife and we talk. 
Or in the next bed when I must. 
But calling a friend who cares also works. 

Connecting to something positive that means something to me also helps. 

Sometime having something that I learn especially at night.

The main thing is that I look to catch my breath by connecting to something that gives me back who I am. 
After the day has sometimes taken it away from me. 

The idea that moving out of your own head and life is needed at the end of the day is not a healthy one. Avoidance and disassociation is not a way to deal with issues and process them. To heal from The stresses of the day. 

If avoidance is the solution one is looking for, lust does a great job of helping a man climb out of his head and his life, temporarily. 

Until it all comes crashing back down.
Please feel free to reach out anytime at chaim.oigen@gmail.com
Last Edit: 14 Dec 2023 17:30 by chaimoigen.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes