Welcome, Guest

From two identities to True self
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: From two identities to True self 11070 Views

Re: From two identities to True self 30 Jan 2024 01:18 #407844

• willdoit
  • Current streak: 4 days
  • Gold Boarder
chaimoigen wrote on 30 Jan 2024 00:54:

true_self wrote on 29 Jan 2024 17:38:
Got a sponsor!

Starting real work tomorrow.

This place is getting really boring and unproductive for me (it's a part of my comfort zone and I use it to escape calling a friend), so I guess I'm leaving...

Continued hatzlacha buddies!

. . . and back to reality...

To My Dear Friend True Self, 

I am deeply glad to hear that you have found a pathway on which you see a new promise of hope. And I know that so many have found real Chayim in the 12 Steps- Alei Vihatzlach!!! You have my heartfelt Bracha. 

Just want to make one point about GYE.
It is in the choices and struggles and realizations that you have discovered here, in this hallowed space, that have led you to where you are today. Had you not discovered what wasn’t working for you here, had you not here encountered a reality in which you perceived that you are powerless - would you be where you are in your journey today? 

A smart guy once said “the only real mistake is one from which we learn nothing”. 
The early steps of a trial and error process that leads to the right answer are necessary, and should not be disparaged, I think. 

We are rooting for you. 
Go then, 
LiChaim

Powerfull point!.. as usual..
Last Edit: 30 Jan 2024 01:20 by willdoit.

Re: From two identities to True self 30 Jan 2024 09:14 #407879

• true_self
  • Current streak: 42 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for your replies.

I agree that the whole GYE business was necessary for me and that I needed to discover what doesn't work for me before I can know what does, I also don't think that I made any mistake being on GYE, nor do I disparage this place. I don't know why you guys think I am, all I wrote was that 'this place is getting boring and unproductive for me', No, it wasn't always. But now since I've found the beginning of my path to recovery (here I was searching for my path, though in the beginning I thought it is my path) with real people (not just usernames and voices without faces) staying here is no-longer a part of my recovery.

I think it's also important for people to see that for some people (like me) GYE is a springboard to reach their recovery and not somewhere to remain stuck in. It's part of my journey.

I'm still very grateful for everyone that was here for me the past 10 month here.

I hope I was clear enough and didn't offend anyone, if I did, here's my sincere apologies.

Growing one step/day at a time...

striving to become my...
True_self
My thread: From two identities to True self

If you want to reachout to me to talk please email: wish2banonym@gmail.com

Re: From two identities to True self 30 Jan 2024 10:29 #407881

• adam2014
  • Gold Boarder
I am thinking the same thing. I am nowhere near ready to move away from GYE, but at some point in the future I assume that I will not need GYE anymore. This is an amazing vehicle to launch myself to my new life, but it is not my new life itself.

I would assume that is the approach of most people on here.  

Maybe I will step away at some point and realize that I need to remain here a little longer, all you have to do is log back in and all the resources are right back at your fingertips. 

Re: From two identities to True self 30 Jan 2024 10:56 #407883

• yiftach
  • Current streak: 256 days
  • Gold Boarder
true_self wrote on 30 Jan 2024 09:14:
Thanks for your replies.

I agree that the whole GYE business was necessary for me and that I needed to discover what doesn't work for me before I can know what does, I also don't think that I made any mistake being on GYE, nor do I disparage this place. I don't know why you guys think I am, all I wrote was that 'this place is getting boring and unproductive for me', No, it wasn't always. But now since I've found the beginning of my path to recovery (here I was searching for my path, though in the beginning I thought it is my path) with real people (not just usernames and voices without faces) staying here is no-longer a part of my recovery.

I think it's also important for people to see that for some people (like me) GYE is a springboard to reach their recovery and not somewhere to remain stuck in. It's part of my journey.

I'm still very grateful for everyone that was here for me the past 10 month here.

I hope I was clear enough and didn't offend anyone, if I did, here's my sincere apologies.

striving to become my...
True_self

Buddy, thanks for clarifying! 

Hope you wake up in the morning and praise the Almighty that He led you to the road of recovery...

Personally, I think there is a lot to be attributed to GYE.

A person cannot be stuck in their cocoon and be expected to become a social butterfly in a day. There's so much guilt, shame and sadness within us and we can't just let the dam break free by going public with our stories. There's a mehalech! Step by step...

First you get a username. Still not ready to share too much, just post on other's threads. Finally, you have the guts to open ur own thread and begin sharing some details abt urself etc. etc.... BH you made it to where you're holding, by letting go of the final mechitzos and showing up in person! Ashreicha! Yet, GYE was still part of the process to get you to that stage! 

Knock away!
Looking forward to get to know you better! 

Email me @ yiftach1609@gmail.com or call/text 347-201-4989 (Google voice)

My story is unfolding here
"יפתח ה' לך את אוצרו הטוב"

Re: From two identities to True self 30 Jan 2024 11:50 #407886

• chaimoigen
  • Current streak: 472 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the clarification.

Just think it’s worthwhile clarifying the following:

These days, many folks on GYE have taken the step from being merely an anonymous user name to making a call. Most guys use real first names and real numbers eventually. Then many have “graduated” to meeting others and creating genuine relationships, with first and last names known.

Dov’s important distinction between secrecy and anonymity is true. Meeting people in real life is an incredibly powerful step in recovery. And secrecy is toxic.

However, forming genuine friendships and mentorship’s  that include real names, real mentors, and real life are even more real than SA meetings.

Not to say that this is for everyone, or that this aspect replaces other incredibly valuable aspects of being in the The Program, because it doesn’t. But today, many fellows on GYE are taking this powerful step , and therefore this critique does not apply to them.
Please feel free to reach out anytime at chaim.oigen@gmail.com
Last Edit: 30 Jan 2024 11:53 by chaimoigen.

Re: From two identities to True self 30 Jan 2024 12:04 #407887

• true_self
  • Platinum Boarder
yiftach wrote on 30 Jan 2024 10:56:

true_self wrote on 30 Jan 2024 09:14:
Thanks for your replies.

striving to become my...
True_self

Buddy, thanks for clarifying! 

Hope you wake up in the morning and praise the Almighty that He led you to the road of recovery...

Personally, I think there is a lot to be attributed to GYE.

A person cannot be stuck in their cocoon and be expected to become a social butterfly in a day. There's so much guilt, shame and sadness within us and we can't just let the dam break free by going public with our stories. There's a mehalech! Step by step...

First you get a username. Still not ready to share too much, just post on other's threads. Finally, you have the guts to open ur own thread and begin sharing some details abt urself etc. etc.... BH you made it to where you're holding, by letting go of the final mechitzos and showing up in person! Ashreicha! Yet, GYE was still part of the process to get you to that stage! 

Knock away!

Absolutely! And yet sometimes we get stuck in a slightly broader cocoon (fake username...) and we need a push to get out of that too, If we wait until we feel that we have outgrown our cocoon, it might never come. In my case I got suffocated and suffered while still refusing to break out of my new addiction (GYE) and it was still not enough. I was told that I probably need SA, yet it was still not enough. I was told that I need to quit GYE because it holds me back from real recovery and it helped me to finally jump into an SA meeting yet it was still not enough to make me quit completely... as you see...

Every day you still se me posting means that I'm still not ready to give up my 'lust' for GYE.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't disregard the credit that my journey on GYE has in where I am today, I was not ready to show up to a meeting in-person before getting to post and talk on the phone and meeting you. But it's time for me to move on...

And dear Adam, I don't know you and the situation you're in, nor am I qualified to tell you what's good for you, but please consider the above. For me is was fear of going out there that fooled me that I really really still need GYE.

All the best! buddies.
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!

Re: From two identities to True self 30 Jan 2024 12:12 #407888

• true_self
  • Platinum Boarder
chaimoigen wrote on 30 Jan 2024 11:50:

These days, many folks on GYE have taken the step from being merely an anonymous user name to making a call. Most guys use real first names and real numbers eventually. Then many have “graduated” to meeting others and creating genuine relationships, with first and last names known.

Dov’s important distinction between secrecy and anonymity is true. Meeting people in real life is an incredibly powerful step in recovery. And secrecy is toxic.

However, forming genuine friendships and mentorship’s  that include real names, real mentors, and real life are even more real than SA meetings.

Not to say that this is for everyone, or that this aspect replaces other incredibly valuable aspects of being in the The Program, because it doesn’t. But today, many fellows on GYE are taking this powerful step , and therefore this critique does not apply to them.

Didn't chap this. The program is not only the meetings, It's getting a sponsor and working the steps (btw I doubt that the relationships made here include Steps 1, 4 and 5). Yes there are guys who mope around from one meeting to the next and the program doesn't work for them! The meeting is only step ZERO (as described in the white book).

If I misunderstood you then just leave my comments.

Re: From two identities to True self 30 Jan 2024 14:04 #407896

• chaimoigen
  • Current streak: 472 days
  • Platinum Boarder
true_self wrote on 30 Jan 2024 12:12:

Didn't chap this. The program is not only the meetings, It's getting a sponsor and working the steps (btw I doubt that the relationships made here include Steps 1, 4 and 5). Yes there are guys who mope around from one meeting to the next and the program doesn't work for them! The meeting is only step ZERO (as described in the white book).

Yes, you did misunderstand my comment. 

I did not mean to state or imply that making friendships on GYE and having productive in-person meetings and mentorships is a way to join or fulfill the 12 Step Program. It is not. And it cannot substitute for The Program, for those that need it. 

But it is its own work. And it’s worked for a lot of people. It may be step Zero in The Program, but it’s a lot more than that for a lot of good guys. I’m not trying to be argumentative or get into a useless discussion. I respect the 12 Steps tremendously.

My point was merely to say that it’s not accurate to characterize GYE wholly as “hiding behind a secret username” because that’s not true for a lot of us. 

As Cordnoy pointed out in his first impactful post on my thread, and I’m eternally grateful for that post , secrecy isn’t honesty. But meeting real people is.  So I went and did it. And honestly facing your mistakes, with a real person who knows your name and a lot about you is far, far more than step zero. Even if he isn’t my sponsor, he still changed my life. At least that’s how it was for me. And that’s the only thing I actually definitely know- what’s working for me. 

I love you, True Self , and I wish you an ocean of Hazlacha and Bracha and blessing, whether or not you keep in touch. I hope you find what works for you, and a path to a glorious future full of brilliant todays. 

I hope you do stay in touch! 

מאן דבעי חיים
Please feel free to reach out anytime at chaim.oigen@gmail.com
Last Edit: 30 Jan 2024 14:09 by chaimoigen.

Re: From two identities to True self 30 Jan 2024 18:39 #407926

• eerie
  • Current streak: 738 days
  • Platinum Boarder
adam2014 wrote on 30 Jan 2024 10:29:
I am thinking the same thing. I am nowhere near ready to move away from GYE, but at some point in the future I assume that I will not need GYE anymore. This is an amazing vehicle to launch myself to my new life, but it is not my new life itself.

I would assume that is the approach of most people on here.  

Maybe I will step away at some point and realize that I need to remain here a little longer, all you have to do is log back in and all the resources are right back at your fingertips. 

Hi Adam! I'm here for a little while, not terribly long. But I've been here almost every day, seen LOTS of posts, spoken to lots of people, most of them on the phone, and even have been fortunate to meet a few of the heroes that visit here. And all that has made me think a lot about the point you are making.
Many, probably most people, that come here, feel that they will fix their issue, and then they can go back to their 'regular' life, fully healed and recovered, and totally forget about GYE.

My view is that it's really not so simple. There are greater and more experienced than I, and I may be wrong, I'm just sharing my impressions.

Maybe for a lot of people it is true that after a little while they can just forget about this whole thing and move on. But I have seen so people who came, did great, moved on, and then came back with a bang.
So, my suggestion would be that even when a person feels that he's not gaining anything from this site, he should keep up with friends he made here, especially ones that he feels fill the mentor role for him. Check in from time to time. Call. Shmooze. Don't ever become complacent
Feel free to say hi. My email is 1gimpelovitz@gmail.com

Re: From two identities to True self 30 Jan 2024 18:44 #407928

• eerie
  • Platinum Boarder

I know you were not suggesting anything about True-self, Reb CO, I just want that to be clear to others
Just for the record: 
True-self has been open with others here, and had 'graduated' to using his real name etc. And all that we can offer here, as real as it can be, doesn't seem to be right for our dear friend. Some people need the 12 steps program.
Please, True-friend, keep trucking, break free, and don't forget to SMILE!
p.s. Don't visit too often

Re: From two identities to True self 30 Jan 2024 20:50 #407951

• true_self
  • Platinum Boarder
chaimoigen wrote on 30 Jan 2024 14:04:

true_self wrote on 30 Jan 2024 12:12:

Yes, you did misunderstand my comment. 

I did not mean to state or imply that making friendships on GYE and having productive in-person meetings and mentorships is a way to join or fulfill the 12 Step Program. It is not. And it cannot substitute for The Program, for those that need it. 

But it is its own work. And it’s worked for a lot of people. It may be step Zero in The Program, but it’s a lot more than that for a lot of good guys. I’m not trying to be argumentative or get into a useless discussion. I respect the 12 Steps tremendously.

My point was merely to say that it’s not accurate to characterize GYE wholly as “hiding behind a secret username” because that’s not true for a lot of us. 

As Cordnoy pointed out in his first impactful post on my thread, and I’m eternally grateful for that post , secrecy isn’t honesty. But meeting real people is.  So I went and did it. And honestly facing your mistakes, with a real person who knows your name and a lot about you is far, far more than step zero. Even if he isn’t my sponsor, he still changed my life. At least that’s how it was for me. And that’s the only thing I actually definitely know- what’s working for me. 

I love you, True Self , and I wish you an ocean of Hazlacha and Bracha and blessing, whether or not you keep in touch. I hope you find what works for you, and a path to a glorious future full of brilliant todays. 

I hope you do stay in touch! 

מאן דבעי חיים

Dear Reb Chaim, It seems to me that the misunderstanding between us is only growing and deepening, so I think I'll drop it here. I don't think theres any point of argument between us anyways.

I love, respect and admire you and your opinion (I'm actually honest now!), please keep doing your gevaldige job here on GYE for the many that need it. Keep on prmoting opening up beyond the forums, I think it's important for guys to know that many proceed to phone calls, real first names and meeting in-person beyond this forum.

Here's a hug! 

True self.

Re: From two identities to True self 31 Jan 2024 11:23 #407994

• adam2014
  • Gold Boarder
I 1000% agree with you.. I personally went from lurking in the shadows just reading posts for a long time, to finally posting my story. I gave my real first name (or did I?? LOL) and have had one on one chats with some of you. I have not taken the next step to a real phone call or an actual meet-up. I hope to get to that point some day.

The toxic secrecy that you speak of is with my wife for me. Not having her in my corner for this battle is heartbreaking and I would love to have her support that she would undoubtedly give me.
Last Edit: 31 Jan 2024 11:29 by adam2014.

Re: From two identities to True self 31 Jan 2024 17:42 #408006

• eerie
  • Platinum Boarder

Quoting this post so it gets read again. Being on GYE, posting, chatting, PMs, are all nice steps. Breaking the secrecy is the game changer, and many, many wonderful people here have done so, to their eternal credit.

#KOMT!!!

Re: From two identities to True self 05 Feb 2024 21:46 #408318

• true_self
  • Platinum Boarder
Started working step one with my sponsor today. He's breliant! We read the doctor's opinion from the big book - It gives me an entirely different perspective and approach how to view my disease and the wrongs of my past. It's an allergy and I gotta take my meds, taking the meds are not easy but simple!

As time goes by I realize more and more how even subconsciously I manipulate my wife to get sex, saying white lies.... My sponsors advice was that for the foreseeable future I should stop initiating sex with my wife.

Hatzlacha to all!

Re: From two identities to True self 05 Feb 2024 22:02 #408320

• Heeling
  • Current streak: 46 days
  • Platinum Boarder

Hatzlacha to you my dear friend! Your so courageous for taking these steps. May Hashem always be with you  and guide you in the right direction.

You can win the fight, but I'll have to live with the loser.

Any excuse you use for yourself, you must be willing to use for your wife.

Not Always can I understand others, but I can always respect their wishes.

You're human, it's okay.

One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.
Time to create page: 0.73 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes