Welcome, Guest

Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 12128 Views

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 14 Dec 2023 05:06 #404998

• zzz613
  • Senior Boarder
chaimoigen wrote on 11 Dec 2023 01:55:
I had a moment of tremendous Chizzuk this Shabbos.
It's an unconventional thought, and I doubt any great Rav or Chizuk-speaker  will present it on a Viayimaen video. But it works for me. 

I was learning the Parsha of Yosef Hatzadik and came across the Gemora that states that he would have given birth to 12 Shevatim had he not stumbled somewhat within the challenge with Eishes Potifar
. תלמוד בבלי מסכת סוטה דף לו/ב  
תניא היה ראוי יוסף לצאת ממנו י"ב שבטים כדרך שיצאו מיעקב אביו שנאמר אלה תולדות יעקב יוסף אלא שיצא שכבת זרעו מבין ציפורני ידיו

Now, obviously, the Gemora needs to be properly understood (and there are many Peshatim), and its axiomatic to state that any shortcoming Chazal are ascribing to Yosef Hatzadik is only a shortcoming on his impossibly great level. Nevertheless, Chazal are clearly saying that there was a higher, greater level that Yosef could have achieved in that moment of Nisayon, that he did not reach.  On some (incredibly high) level, Yosef messed up somewhat, and because of this he lost TEN Shevatim. He never regained them.    
This made me feel great. 

{SPOILER ALERT: I suspect this post may bring down upon me the ire of Captain and Bright. About Vehkam's reaction, I'm not sure.}

Allow me to explain. You see, Yosef is THE Tzadik. The entire Klal Yisroel rides on his Zchus - He is the Tzaddik Yesod Oilam. Everything stands on him.  And yet, here we are learning that the unbelievable Madreiga that we all rely on - is only"Madreiga B" - It is all notwithstanding the fact that he LOST "Madreiga A" when he did not withstand the Nisayon entirely (for what was expected on his exalted level). It would seem (unless I am mistaken) that he never regained "Madreiga A". But "Madreiga B" is still enough for all of Klal Yisroel to stand on and draw wellsprings of Kedusha from until the end of time. And he is still Yosef Hatzadik, nevertheless, Merkava of Middas Yesod. "Madreiga B" was enough to acheive this impossibly great level, regardless of the fact that he lost "Madreiga A". 

This is a huge source of Chizzuk to me.
I have messed up in the past. That is why I am here. I am proud to report that I am BH doing great, and accomplishing great things.
Yet I sometimes feel bad about what I may have lost forever due to bad choices in the past.
Now, (besides remembering that Teshuva is real and effective) I can find great comfort in this thought:
I can still set my sights for the lofty stars - for a "Madreiga B" that will reverberate until the end of time.

שגיאות מי יבין

[p.s. Bright, I Takeh don't know why Yosef's presumed Teshuva Me'Ahava didn't get him back the 10 lost Shevatim. It bothers me too.]

wow mamash powerful.
i see that many here took issue ith this thought but to me it really resonates, and its quite motivating.

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 14 Dec 2023 05:16 #404999

• zzz613
  • Senior Boarder
Vehkam wrote on 12 Dec 2023 13:25:

chaimoigen wrote on 11 Dec 2023 01:55:
I had a moment of tremendous Chizzuk this Shabbos.
It's an unconventional thought, and I doubt any great Rav or Chizuk-speaker  will present it on a Viayimaen video. But it works for me. 

I was learning the Parsha of Yosef Hatzadik and came across the Gemora that states that he would have given birth to 12 Shevatim had he not stumbled somewhat within the challenge with Eishes Potifar
. תלמוד בבלי מסכת סוטה דף לו/ב  
תניא היה ראוי יוסף לצאת ממנו י"ב שבטים כדרך שיצאו מיעקב אביו שנאמר אלה תולדות יעקב יוסף אלא שיצא שכבת זרעו מבין ציפורני ידיו

Now, obviously, the Gemora needs to be properly understood (and there are many Peshatim), and its axiomatic to state that any shortcoming Chazal are ascribing to Yosef Hatzadik is only a shortcoming on his impossibly great level. Nevertheless, Chazal are clearly saying that there was a higher, greater level that Yosef could have achieved in that moment of Nisayon, that he did not reach.  On some (incredibly high) level, Yosef messed up somewhat, and because of this he lost TEN Shevatim. He never regained them.    
This made me feel great. 

{SPOILER ALERT: I suspect this post may bring down upon me the ire of Captain and Bright. About Vehkam's reaction, I'm not sure.}

Allow me to explain. You see, Yosef is THE Tzadik. The entire Klal Yisroel rides on his Zchus - He is the Tzaddik Yesod Oilam. Everything stands on him.  And yet, here we are learning that the unbelievable Madreiga that we all rely on - is only"Madreiga B" - It is all notwithstanding the fact that he LOST "Madreiga A" when he did not withstand the Nisayon entirely (for what was expected on his exalted level). It would seem (unless I am mistaken) that he never regained "Madreiga A". But "Madreiga B" is still enough for all of Klal Yisroel to stand on and draw wellsprings of Kedusha from until the end of time. And he is still Yosef Hatzadik, nevertheless, Merkava of Middas Yesod. "Madreiga B" was enough to acheive this impossibly great level, regardless of the fact that he lost "Madreiga A". 

This is a huge source of Chizzuk to me.
I have messed up in the past. That is why I am here. I am proud to report that I am BH doing great, and accomplishing great things.
Yet I sometimes feel bad about what I may have lost forever due to bad choices in the past.
Now, (besides remembering that Teshuva is real and effective) I can find great comfort in this thought:
I can still set my sights for the lofty stars - for a "Madreiga B" that will reverberate until the end of time.

שגיאות מי יבין

[p.s. Bright, I Takeh don't know why Yosef's presumed Teshuva Me'Ahava didn't get him back the 10 lost Shevatim. It bothers me too.]

r Chaim as always you are amazing in your writing and conveying beautiful positive messages.  

We definitely need to continue some of this in person….

my thoughts…

Teshuva is not plan b. It was created before the world and before anyone sinned. 
 Our goal is not perfection because that is not attainable. Our job is to get up and fight through every struggle even though we know we may not win every time with absolute perfection.   
Who says that having 12 shevatim is a higher madreiga than what yosef actually accomplished. Perhaps the struggle and overcoming it is the precise reason that he didn’t need 12 shevatim to accomplish his tafkid.  

Even if you understand the Medrash to say that he lost out by not having 12 shevatim it does not have to mean that he was doomed to an eternal lower madreiga.  It just means that he had to go through life with a different mehalech. Not higher or lower.  Just different.

teshuva me’ahava cannot bring back מטתו שלימה.  So the 12 shevatim were off the table. using the failure as a springboard for motivation and growth was able to catapult Yosef hatzadik to places he would not have reached without that struggle.  

you post this as arguing R' CO point.
i sort see the 2 as one.
what we see is down here is what could have been and what happened b'poel, we dont see the Kavana Elyona, so a regular person who looks at himself and his kishroinos and possibilities and what happened, sees things as what should have been (plan a), and what is (plan b).

now for hashem it may be very well be that this was the goal for this person in the first place.

and the point is that what we perceive as plan b may really be plan A.

just my 2 cents
Last Edit: 14 Dec 2023 05:17 by zzz613.

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 14 Dec 2023 21:00 #405025

• chaimoigen
  • Current streak: 500 days
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
I am deeply gratified that my post has sparked so much thoughtful conversation. 

There is a lot to think about and learn from in all of the above comments. 

I’d like to share my personal thoughts, and present maybe a bit of practical synthesis out of the points made. Here’s what I’m taking out: 

1. I have the present. 
The gift of Teshuva harnesses my totality - personality, abilities, and all my experiences - and enables me to use it all to serve Hashem and achieve greatness. There is always a call to find the pathway to greatness that is currently available to me. There is always such a path to greatness, if I am still alive. It’s always there.

2. I believe that healthy regret over past mistakes is a useful tool for a healthy person to use to help him find that path, and galvanize him to achieve it. (Not guilt. Guilt is almost always negative. Regret is a constructive, positive emotion. Powerful difference). 

3. A person’s path and Tachlis change based on their choices. Had I chosen differently, I would probably have a different pathway now. That was probably true for Yosef Hatzaddik too, as mentioned. He achieved his Tafkid, one way or the other.
Will I? That’s really the only important question I should be asking myself. 

4.  Although I am BH I’m a great place now, there is residual damage in me, the ghosts of errors past. I have written about them in previous posts. I’m still alive BH and I’m working on myself. Sometimes more successfully than other times. I don’t fool myself that I’ve done complete and total pure Teshuva Meahava yet (though I’m working on it!!) .
But all of these challenges are all part of my Avoda today. Part of the pathway to greatness that I am called to today. 100 percent. And Im going to keep working and get better and better, with Siyata Dishmaya. I am not feeling bad, I’m feeling good. And realistic. That’s why I’m still here. And lovin’ it. 

5. What my Creator intended for me when He made me, and how that fits with my choices, good and bad, and how that fits in with His kindness in providentially providing alternative plans, pre-conceived: This is a philosophical conundrum and discussion that involves Ishbitz, Meor Enyaim, Ramban and Raavad, Seforim Hakedoshim, migraines, and more. I’ll leave it to Him understand how it all works, as only He can and does. 

I’ll try to understand myself, instead. And try to understand my job, my work, my growth. Try to understand when others can use a helping hand. Try to understand those of His Ways that I can try to emulate. 

Because in the end, it’s the work that will make the difference (not the philosophizin’), and that’s what will make Him proud. 

So, back to the Beis Medrash 

א פרייליכין! 
מאן דבעי חיים
Please feel free to reach out anytime at chaim.oigen@gmail.com
Last Edit: 15 Dec 2023 00:41 by chaimoigen.

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 17 Dec 2023 01:51 #405065

• chaimoigen
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Welcome to a special edition of the Motzei Shabbos Blues! 

My chavrusa can’t learn until late and I had to head to the office to take care of something and I’m in the office alone and have some time to kill and feeling blah and bleh and tired and unsettled and itchy and would love to explore something that could be an outlet/distraction. 

Get away from me, you creep! 
(stop talking to yourself). 
הרחמן הוא יצילנו מן היצה״ר

I think I’ll call a friend. 
Last Edit: 17 Dec 2023 01:54 by chaimoigen.

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 17 Dec 2023 05:41 #405069

• chaimoigen
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
chaimoigen wrote on 17 Dec 2023 01:51:
Welcome to a special edition of the Motzei Shabbos Blues! 

My chavrusa can’t learn until late and I had to head to the office to take care of something and I’m in the office alone and have some time to kill and feeling blah and bleh and tired and unsettled and itchy and would love to explore something that could be an outlet/distraction. 

Get away from me, you creep! 
(stop talking to yourself). 
הרחמן הוא יצילנו מן היצה״ר

I think I’ll call a friend. 

I called a friend. 
And a few called/texted me. 

And then I hooked up with a chavrusa and learned for a few hours and I don’t feel blah anymore. I feel warm. 

Thank you. אודה ה׳ מאוד בפי 
and to you, my friends. 
כי יעמוד לימין אביון להושיע משופטי נפשו 

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 17 Dec 2023 06:05 #405070

• youknowwho
  • Platinum Boarder
You will also find that help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it….”

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 17 Dec 2023 12:24 #405074

• richtig
  • Platinum Boarder
youknowwho wrote on 17 Dec 2023 06:05:
You will also find that help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it….”

..."to those who deserve it."
"It is not our abilities that show who we truly are, it is our choices.” ---- Albus Dumbeldore (as per Chris Columbus)

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 17 Dec 2023 12:49 #405078

• youknowwho
  • Platinum Boarder
Richtig, you are richtig about that! And richtig about “some stuff” too…are you still there or have you already dissaparated back to Hogsmeade?
Last Edit: 17 Dec 2023 12:49 by youknowwho.

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 07 Jan 2024 12:16 #406538

• richtig
  • Platinum Boarder
שגיאות מי יבין

My dear friend! The ten shevatim came through his tayere brother binyomin- who shared the tzaddik gamur category with yosef (meis b'etyo shel nachash), and all his ten sons were called al shmo shel yosef. (If I may add, Binyomin didn't share the nisyonos of Yosef, and he maintained a perfect level of tziddkus, but that didn't make him think he had surpassed the rebbe of all the tzaddikim; to the contrary, every son he had, he saw him as really being shayach to Yosef, and he tried to maintain his connection to him by calling him al shmo).
"It is not our abilities that show who we truly are, it is our choices.” ---- Albus Dumbeldore (as per Chris Columbus)

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 08 Jan 2024 05:49 #406610

• frank.lee
  • Current streak: 366 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks,  Richtig!

The gemara in Sota talks about it. Also there is a cool gematria but I don't remember it off-hand. 

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 14 Jan 2024 18:59 #407017

• chaimoigen
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
With a spirit of humility, care, and respect I would like to share some thoughts on lasting and internal change. 

My hiatus and subsequent extremely hectic couple of weeks has had me take a step back from my involvement here (I even missed the raffle). Catching up a bit, I’ve seen a number of posts that I had a desire to comment on over the past few days, but I decided to instead come here and share my thoughts. Because I only want to talk about myself, and share these as my own thoughts, I guess. Yet these reflections are actually the product of months of thought, and might be somewhat helpful to my friends. Sorry for lengthiness….

There have been posts about the disappointing experience of folks coming on the forums, feeling euphoric about finally breaking free from their problems for a time, and then eventually sadly coming face to face with the hard reality that the internal problem is still there. Alive and unfortunately kicking. There’s been discussion about how hugs and charts and accountability may be good for folks who don’t have a real problem, but are a waste of time if they distract you from taking the step to recognizing that you need meaningful, internal change. 

I don’t really disagree with the concepts. Change that isn’t internalized won’t last. True. We see this truth unfortunately all the time. Yes, you can’t “cure” an addiction with only a dose of optimistic positivity and encouragement. However, I strongly disagree with certain conclusions that could potentially be drawn from these observations. And I’m writing these words to champion the incredible value of these forums, which to my thinking cannot be overstated. 

First, the obvious. You can only take step two after step one. It’s very hard to push the “submit” button the first time, to come out of the shadows and start posting. It’s hard to admit you have a problem, that you need help. It’s terrifying to communicate with others, even behind a blanket of anonymity. The forums provide a critical first step.  And a warm welcome and positivity can encourage a fellow to stick around and learn. To make connections he wouldn’t otherwise make. To recognise the extent of his issues and learn about ways to grow. In this context it’s terrific, and I don’t think anyone disagrees with this. 

Now let’s talk about real and lasting change. Internal change. 

Pretty much everyone who comes here has a problem. I’m not going to get into a discussion about how to define addiction, but y’all would not be here without the fact  that these issues are creating problems in your internal and/or external life. Pretty everyone here has tried to fix their problem on their own, unsuccessfully.

That means that “just stopping” isn’t really one of the options for almost anyone who finds himself on GYE.

And, as with most problems, external changes alone won’t last. Because the problem is usually bigger than the just the symptomatic behavior. If someone has been using P&M to fill a deep aching need for years, against his better intellectual judgement, it’s unlikely that merely talking to people about how he really wants to stop will make real changes in his life. 

But here’s the thing. In all areas of life, real change is hard. Therapists all over charge a fortune to insert their sometimes-grubby fingers deep inside, and grope around in the aching psyche of confused and searching Neshamos everywhere, with varying success. There are diets and self-help books and retreats, life- coaches, and all-knowing experts, everywhere, each promising their own marvelous medicine for true and lasting change. Providing the patient/subject/client “Does The Work”But what does that mean? 

The thing is - a human is a marvelously complex and baffling piece of work, fueled by a cosmic Neshoma, weighed down by childhood upbringing and history, his Yetzerim and personality, and the burdens of unrequited hopes and dreams. Complex situations and relationships. Sheifos, goals, setbacks. And life. People! It ain’t easy to fix em up. 

We are all muddling through, best as we can. That’s the honest truth. And it takes trial and error, and working from the outside to the inside.

Because we have to try. Genuinely. And we have to start with what we can wrap our hands and heads around. Because that’s the way practical people do it. And then make mistakes. And ask questions. And keep trying. And learn new things. And get excited. And get angry. And say really stupid things and sometimes regret them and sometimes not. And try again. And learn something new. And think and feel and try again. Sometimes it penetrates, sometimes it doesn’t. You have to try to use the best tools you can get your hands on, have mentors and friends, learn methods and self-realization. And with Siyata Dishmaya it will sometimes go it, and things will be different. If you keep trying. 

Trying, learning, and trial and error, with openness and honesty. Connection to good people. Willingness to learn from their experiences. And an attempt to grow, step by step.
In my experience outside of GYE- this is the recipe for change. And that’s what these forums are, too. 

I’ve read a lot about the 12 Step Program and have the greatest respect for it. It’s one way that a lot of people have achieved growth and change, if they work the Steps right. Therapy approaches problems differently, and there are different modalities, and a lot of people are helped that way too. If they Do The Work.  And learning valuable truths from mentors and seforim and friends, and working to develop new ways of living until you learn to change your thinking and paradigms, step by step, is a way that people can change, too. If they do the work.  There are other ways.  Yisurim can make or break a man, for example . And more ways. Maybe there are  as many ways to grow, and as few, as there are differences between men, at the bottom of it. Different things are needed by different people with different problems. The main thing, to my thinking and experience, is to keep working. Then you’ll eventually find the key that turns the lock, with Siyata Dishmaya. 

These forums are sacred and special and I love them with all of my heart. (Even at the rare times when people write infuriatingly stupid things). Because they provide tools for genuine change and growth in a way that I haven’t seen before. 

Some of the qualities in these forums are:
The forums are:  A safe place to recognize that your life has become (somewhat) unmanageable. A place to make friends by sharing and caring.  A place to connect with a fellowship of people who actually understand. A place to face up to your own mistakes, to recognize the hurt you’ve done to yourself and others, and to try to learn how to make amends. A place to learn profound and universal truths about yourself, and your life. About why you do stuff. And about Yiddishkeit. About marriage and relationships.

The forums are a repository of reams of pages of culled wisdom. A place to connect to people who have the most valuable commodity of all- life experience.

And maybe most importantly - the forums are place where people receive the gift of opportunity to actually meet with real people, when they get to that stage, which leads to indescribable potential for healing. A lot of the real healing with mentors here takes place offline, without a clear record in the forums (so if you haven’t yet, talk to someone).

All of this and much more are tools for genuine growth and change. But yeah, you gotta do the work.
The tools without the work won’t do it. But don’t blame the tools. 

What works for you? Here’s a good place to find out. There are many resources and things that have worked for people like you. And if what you’re doing doesn’t work, someone might point out to you that it’s time to try something else, and thank Hashem for that. If something’s working for you, share it, because it might help others. But please don’t think there’s only one prescription, or disparage the process that others are muddling through, cause that’s what we humans do. 

Saying “Anyone who was helped by method X obviously never had a real problem, because I had a real problem and it didn’t help me” isn’t only insulting, it’s also illogical and wrong, as anyone who’s read a lot of threads here knows.  Telling someone who is stuck that perhaps they should try something else, and suggesting what worked for you is a bracha and a promise of hope. I’d like to see more of the second. 

May Hashem bless GYE. I have a paper in which I have all the names of the guys I’ve met and many I’ve spoken with., and I daven for you regularly. Took it to Kever Rachel and Kosel too ( I davened for the founders and mods,  though I’ve never met them). Because I love you and hope that we’ll all keep growing together, more and less, each in his own way, with Hashem’s help. 

If you’re still here, thanks for listening 
מאן דבעי חיים

-----------------------
PS. At a later point I added in the following, that I posted on another thread:

Dov has written brilliantly about how secrecy is toxic and how coming out of the shadows and stopping to hide is a powerful part of recovery. He has also written how SA meetings are protected by anonymity but not secrecy, as folks meet real people who recognize them . As opposed to folks lurking on GYE forums, hiding behind a secret username. Now Dov admits that these forums are a great first step. His point is real. and worth thinking about, like everything else he writes (he doesn't need my Haskoma either).

However, I want to point out that these days, many folks on GYE are taking the step from being merely an anonymous user name to making a phone call. Most guys use real first names and real numbers eventually. Then, after a while, many have “graduated” to actually meeting others and creating genuine relationships, with mentors and/or friend. With real first and last names.

Dov’s important distinction between secrecy and anonymity is true. Meeting people in real life is an incredibly powerful step in recovery. And secrecy is toxic. I think it's fair to point out that forming genuine friendships and mentorships that include real names, real mentors, and real life are even more real than SA meetings, in some ways.

[I do not mean to say that this is for everyone. Don't do it if you're not ready, and also be careful to protect yourself.  I also do not mean to state or imply that making friendships on GYE and having productive in-person meetings and mentorships is a way to join or fulfill the 12 Step Program. It is not. And it cannot substitute for The Program, with its many other incredibly valuable aspects, because it doesn’t.]

My point is only this: Today, it’s not accurate to characterize GYE wholly as “hiding behind a secret username” because that’s not true for a lot of us.
As Cordnoy pointed out in his first impactful post on this thread [and I’m eternally grateful for that post], secrecy isn’t honesty. But meeting real people is. So I went out and did it. And honestly facing your mistakes, with a real person who knows your name and a lot about you is life-changing. If you haven't done it, you may want to consider it.
Last Edit: 04 Feb 2024 16:45 by chaimoigen.

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 14 Jan 2024 19:43 #407022

• hechochma
  • Current streak: 14 days
  • Gold Boarder
That was a beautifully written masterpiece!

A כל בו I think there is something for everyone to gain from in that post.
A nuanced approach to a complicated subject - one that exposes more facets of the diamond that is truth for each to see from his own vantage point - right, left or center!
Join us in reading two pages a day of the most amazing and absolutely guilt-trip-free book on the epic holy battle of our generation! Free PDF here

My Thread

והנה הכתוב אומר: הן יראת ה' היא חכמה... הרי שהיראה היא חכמה והיא לבדה חכמה... כי עיון גדול צריך על כל הדברים האלה לדעת אותם באמת ולא על צד הדמיון והסברה הכוזבת, כל שכן לקנות אותם ולהשיגם

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 14 Jan 2024 19:46 #407023

• redfaced
  • Current streak: 517 days
  • Platinum Boarder
chaimoigen wrote on 14 Jan 2024 18:59:
With a spirit of humility, care, and respect I would like to share some thoughts on lasting and internal change. 

My hiatus and subsequent extremely hectic couple of weeks has had me take a step back from my involvement here (I even missed the raffle). Catching up a bit, I’ve seen a number of posts that I had a desire to comment on over the past few days, but I decided to instead come here and share my thoughts. Because I only want to talk about myself, and share these as my own thoughts, I guess. Yet these reflections are actually the product of months of thought, and might be somewhat helpful to my friends. Sorry for lengthiness….

There have been posts about the disappointing experience of folks coming on the forums, feeling euphoric about finally breaking free from their problems for a time, and then eventually sadly coming face to face with the hard reality that the internal problem is still there. Alive and unfortunately kicking. There’s been discussion about how hugs and charts and accountability may be good for folks who don’t have a real problem, but are a waste of time if they distract you from taking the step to recognizing that you need meaningful, internal change. 

I don’t really disagree with the concepts. Change that isn’t internalized won’t last. True. We see this truth unfortunately all the time. Yes, you can’t “cure” an addiction with only a dose of optimistic positivity and encouragement. However, I strongly disagree with certain conclusions that could potentially be drawn from these observations. And I’m writing these words to champion the incredible value of these forums, which to my thinking cannot be overstated. 

First, the obvious. You can only take step two after step one. It’s very hard to push the “submit” button the first time, to come out of the shadows and start posting. It’s hard to admit you have a problem, that you need help. It’s terrifying to communicate with others, even behind a blanket of anonymity. The forums provide a critical first step.  And a warm welcome and positivity can encourage a fellow to stick around and learn. To make connections he wouldn’t otherwise make. To recognise the extent of his issues and learn about ways to grow. In this context it’s terrific, and I don’t think anyone disagrees with this. 

Now let’s talk about real and lasting change. Internal change. 

Pretty much everyone who comes here has a problem. I’m not going to get into a discussion about how to define addiction, but y’all would not be here without the fact  that these issues are creating problems in your internal and/or external life. Pretty everyone here has tried to fix their problem on their own, unsuccessfully.

That means that “just stopping” isn’t really one of the options for almost anyone who finds himself on GYE.

And, as with most problems, external changes alone won’t last. Because the problem is usually bigger than the just the symptomatic behavior. If someone has been using P&M to fill a deep aching need for years, against his better intellectual judgement, it’s unlikely that merely talking to people about how he really wants to stop will make real changes in his life. 

But here’s the thing. In all areas of life, real change is hard. Therapists all over charge a fortune to insert their sometimes-grubby fingers deep inside, and grope around in the aching psyche of confused and searching Neshamos everywhere, with varying success. There are diets and self-help books and retreats, life- coaches, and all-knowing experts, everywhere, each promising their own marvelous medicine for true and lasting change. Providing the patient/subject/client “Does The Work”But what does that mean? 

The thing is - a human is a marvelously complex and baffling piece of work, fueled by a cosmic Neshoma, weighed down by childhood upbringing and history, his Yetzerim and personality, and the burdens of unrequited hopes and dreams. Complex situations and relationships. Sheifos, goals, setbacks. And life. People! It ain’t easy to fix em up. 

We are all muddling through, best as we can. That’s the honest truth. And it takes trial and error, and working from the outside to the inside.

Because we have to try. Genuinely. And we have to start with what we can wrap our hands and heads around. Because that’s the way practical people do it. And then make mistakes. And ask questions. And keep trying. And learn new things. And get excited. And get angry. And say really stupid things and sometimes regret them and sometimes not. And try again. And learn something new. And think and feel and try again. Sometimes it penetrates, sometimes it doesn’t. You have to try to use the best tools you can get your hands on, have mentors and friends, learn methods and self-realization. And with Siyata Dishmaya it will sometimes go it, and things will be different. If you keep trying. 

Trying, learning, and trial and error, with openness and honesty. Connection to good people. Willingness to learn from their experiences. And an attempt to grow, step by step.
In my experience outside of GYE- this is the recipe for change. And that’s what these forums are, too. 

I’ve read a lot about the 12 Step Program and have the greatest respect for it. It’s one way that a lot of people have achieved growth and change, if they work the Steps right. Therapy approaches problems differently, and there are different modalities, and a lot of people are helped that way too. If they Do The Work.  And learning valuable truths from mentors and seforim and friends, and working to develop new ways of living until you learn to change your thinking and paradigms, step by step, is a way that people can change, too. If they do the work.  There are other ways.  Yisurim can make or break a man, for example . And more ways. Maybe there are  as many ways to grow, and as few, as there are differences between men, at the bottom of it. Different things are needed by different people with different problems. The main thing, to my thinking and experience, is to keep working. Then you’ll eventually find the key that turns the lock, with Siyata Dishmaya. 

These forums are sacred and special and I love them with all of my heart. (Even at the rare times when people write infuriatingly stupid things). Because they provide tools for genuine change and growth in a way that I haven’t seen before. 

Some of the qualities in these forums are:
The forums are:  A safe place to recognize that your life has become (somewhat) unmanageable. A place to make friends by sharing and caring.  A place to connect with a fellowship of people who actually understand. A place to face up to your own mistakes, to recognize the hurt you’ve done to yourself and others, and to try to learn how to make amends. A place to learn profound and universal truths about yourself, and your life. About why you do stuff. And about Yiddishkeit. About marriage and relationships.

The forums are a repository of reams of pages of culled wisdom. A place to connect to people who have the most valuable commodity of all- life experience.

And maybe most importantly - the forums are place where people receive the gift of opportunity to actually meet with real people, when they get to that stage, which leads to indescribable potential for healing. A lot of the real healing with mentors here takes place offline, without a clear record in the forums (so if you haven’t yet, talk to someone).

All of this and much more are tools for genuine growth and change. But yeah, you gotta do the work.
The tools without the work won’t do it. But don’t blame the tools. 

What works for you? Here’s a good place to find out. There are many resources and things that have worked for people like you. And if what you’re doing doesn’t work, someone might point out to you that it’s time to try something else, and thank Hashem for that. If something’s working for you, share it, because it might help others. But please don’t think there’s only one prescription, or disparage the process that others are muddling through, cause that’s what we humans do. 

Saying “Anyone who was helped by method X obviously never had a real problem, because I had a real problem and it didn’t help me” isn’t only insulting, it’s also illogical and wrong, as anyone who’s read a lot of threads here knows.  Telling someone who is stuck that perhaps they should try something else, and suggesting what worked for you is a bracha and a promise of hope. I’d like to see more of the second. 

May Hashem bless GYE. I have a paper in which I have all the names of the guys I’ve met and many I’ve spoken with., and I daven for you regularly. Took it to Kever Rachel and Kosel too ( I davened for the founders and mods,  though I’ve never met them). Because I love you and hope that we’ll all keep growing together, more and less, each in his own way, with Hashem’s help. 

If you’re still here, thanks for listening 
מאן דבעי חיים

Man, I hate these long well thought out posts that make me actually pay attention!
Thanks CO  for doing all the thinking for me
May you slide down the banister of happiness and get many splinters of success up your career

Feel free to send me an owl, a howler, or even a Crumple-Horned Snorkack to Iamredfaced@gmail.com

The Red Face

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 14 Jan 2024 21:58 #407031

• yiftach
  • Current streak: 281 days
  • Gold Boarder
WOW!!!! 

Too much clarity, profoundness and understanding for one post!!! 

Thanks for making me think (always, and now)!

- Little Yiftach'l
Looking forward to get to know you better! 

Email me @ yiftach1609@gmail.com or call/text 347-201-4989 (Google voice)

My story is unfolding here
"יפתח ה' לך את אוצרו הטוב"

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 14 Jan 2024 23:43 #407037

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2824 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Beautifully written, a post by the scribe,
So much wisdom, a tad much to imbibe.
Yet truth is recognized, by all who peruse,
Their destiny in print, not embellished by ruse.
Behold the numbers, forum graduates in swarms,
Lives reconstructed, defying all norms.
The one who yearns life, proclaimed,
A shofar blast of truth, in this domain.
Hear ye hear ye - "thread" contributors thrive,
Stay connected, dare to survive.

OK and for all the simple guys like me - In simple English - Thank you Chaim for presenting the truth! 
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE
Time to create page: 0.88 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes