Welcome, Guest

It's all in the name
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: It's all in the name 18377 Views

Re: It's all in the name 05 Feb 2023 19:41 #391615

• eerie
  • Current streak: 720 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi there, all my holy brothers! I'm sure some of you have had the same thoughts, sharing mine. Davening shachris this morning it hit me as I was saying מזמור שיר חנוכת הבית, so much of that kapitel resonated with me as far as GYE is concerned. (translation is mine-I'm not looking for a job at artscroll) "Hashem, I cried to you, and you healed me-Hashem, you lifted me up from the depths, you gave me life and did not allow me to fall into the pit. Sing to Hashem...when things were tranquil I said I will not fall forever. But now I know, Hashem it is only with your will that I am strong, when you hide Your face I am frightened. To You, Hashem, I call out, to my Master I beg. Will there be any gain if I go down...You have switched my crying to dancing, you have removed my sackcloth and surrounded me with happiness..."
My friends, that last one was the most powerful one. I came here crying, so down, never believing I would could feel that one day this will end. But ever since I've joined you all, my sadness has been replaced with happiness. I still have a long way to go, but I feel like I will one day be past all this. One day, real soon, we will ALL be past all of these things.
Dearest brothers, thank you for being there for me, thank you for letting me in, and don't forget to KEEP TRUCKING!
Feel free to say hi. My email is 1gimpelovitz@gmail.com

Re: It's all in the name 06 Feb 2023 18:30 #391666

• chancy
  • Current streak: 787 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Eeire, 
Becuase you are such an amazing inpriraton here, I will reveal a secret to you. 
That chapter that you discussed is acutally the biggest and most instrumental chaprter involved in lifting up the holy sparks that have fallen from holiness into impurity, The sparks are crying to Hashem, and signing when they are raised to the holiness! 
Say the Chapter tomorrow again and try to connect with this new meaning and you will feel something!

Re: It's all in the name 09 Feb 2023 01:24 #391793

• eerie
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi there, all my holy brothers, friends that are closer than family here at GYE! First of all, I thought of the pasuk "קץ שם לחושך", Hashem puts an end to the darkness. The word קץ is gematria 170. Today was day 170 for me, and I really feel like Hashem brought me here to connect to all the wonderful people that are here, to learn from them, to be inspired by them, and thereby get out of the darkness that clouded much of my life. So thank you all for being here every step of the way, for encouraging, showing, sharing, (and even arguing:)). I'm eternally grateful to be standing where I can see the light, thanks to every one of you!

Edit: Thanks to all the wonderful people that actually read my post and pointed out that my calculator was not working so well, קץ is 190, not 170. Hey, save this post and read it in 20 days!

I had a thought I wanted to share, I don't know if I'm right and I'd love to hear what the oilam says. I had the zechus of connecting to a very special mentor who would rather go unnamed and nobody will know who he is . I also have connected to some other special people here, and I feel like there's a real help for me in having those friends. And I wondered, if I have a person that teaches me, directs me, what do I get out of connecting to these friends? They are all wonderful people, I love shmoozing with them but what exactly is the gain to be had? Is it just the accountability that it brings, or is there more?

I went to Yeshiva, and I had a rebbe that really inspired me. He's a person that I felt understood me, connected to me, I felt he really loved me. It's been 20+ years and I still feel this way. During my Yeshiva years I would discuss almost everything going in my life with this rebbe, and I still call him to discuss questions that arise. But even though I have a rebbe that I really feel so close to, he really saved me so many times, I love him, he does so much for me, after everything I still need friends. Yes, everyone needs a rebbe, we need someone to connect to in that way, but as part of the need for social connection that we, as human beings, all need, we also needs friends. It's not enough to connect in the way of  "you be the giver, I'll be the receiver", even if we are connecting to the best people. Rather, we need to connect to people in all different ways. In some relationships you'll be the receiver, in some the giver, in some you'll be just friends, shmoozing, without a delineated giver and receiver. It's the sum total of all those different connections that fulfill the human need for social interaction. 

It's the same with connecting to people to help ourselves with the struggles that we are all here for. Many people go to therapy, אשריהם! Many reach out to mentors, אשריהם! Talking to someone live about these struggles is the most powerful thing we can do to help ourselves. I think the power in opening up is that when we open up we realize this is me. This is my struggle, I stand here today and I know where I would like to be. There's a process of normalization, if I may say it that way, to see the struggle as part of my life, not as taboo issue that we hide from our very own selves. When we bring other people into our struggles with us it helps us face our struggles in a healthy way, as another part of our mission here in this world. It makes our struggles just another facet of our lives, and that makes it so much easier to deal with. It follows that just as in life we need all different types of connections, in this struggle if we connect to people as just friends, that will help us see these struggles for what they really are: Surmountable, normal (I'm sorry cordnoy), parts of our lives.

Whether my pshat is right or not, the fact remains that I feel the friendships I've created here are a big part of my progress.  Connecting to some wonderful people, people who have shared experiences, ideas, tips, people who have shared their hearts and accepted me, respected me, and appreciated me, has been a huge part of my journey here. So thank you to all my friends, you know who you are, thank you for extending a hand, for sharing, listening and thank you for ...just being a friend
Last Edit: 09 Feb 2023 16:21 by eerie.

Re: It's all in the name 09 Feb 2023 18:23 #391826

• eerie
  • Platinum Boarder
A few nice fellows reached out to me that I made a mistake, קץ is gematria 190 not 170. I must say it was such a chizuk to see that somebody is actually reading what I post! Now that you guys did read it, my question now is, are you guys maskim to my shtikel Torah as to the pshat in having friends with you in the battle?

Re: It's all in the name 10 Feb 2023 19:51 #391897

• eerie
  • Platinum Boarder
I had a question I hope some of you can answer. Why is it that when we ask questions nobody writes anything, but when we are stating our opinion everybody has what to say? Oh, nobody will answer because I asked, so I'll write this as fact. 
Eerie says: When we ask questions people let it pass, but when we state things as fact everybody has what to say

Re: It's all in the name 10 Feb 2023 20:18 #391898

Eerie wrote on 24 Nov 2022 19:25:
Hi there all my anonymous friends!
I am on here for a while, most of the time just to sign in and update where I'm holding, but from time to time I do read around some posts on the forums, and I am really at a loss of words when I try to describe what I think about all of you. I'm simply awed into silence. You guys are all amazing, fighting the terrible urges, sometimes in such difficult circumstances, from complicated pasts, I stand humbled. I am so proud to at least be part of the same nation, even if I don't come close. Keep up the fight and may Hashem be with all  of you and may you feel his closeness.
And now, Hi! I gave myself the name eerie because that's what I think about my situation. I am blissfully married to a really special person,(which, I learned from the posts on this site, is not to be taken for granted. It's something that so many of my dear friends here struggle with, their addictions creating issues in their marriage and the problems in their marriage further exacerbating their addictions) and we have seven wonderful kids. I really cannot imagine a better marriage, we respect each other, love each other, communicate beautifully, and my intimate life is wonderful. I believe my wife would say the same.  I am a seriously respected member of my community, I am in a position of chinuch (and I think I do a pretty good job:)), so why oh why on earth am I here? What would the people think if they knew? Would I still have a wife? Would they let me talk to my kids? At that point would I even care about my job or my life's mission? I BH had a wonderful upbringing, loving and caring parents who are very proud of their "successful kli kodesh" son. What would they think if they knew? These thoughts were on my mind as I created my account and the feeling I had was "This is eerie. A mechanech. A talmid chacham. Sought after maggid shiur. This is totally eerie." So there you have it. It's all in the name.
A little about me. I think many of you would disagree but I don't think I'm addicted to P&M. I have normal urges like all healthy people. I have no smartphone (if you would only hear me speak about the downfalls), no computer at home. So where and when do/did I fall? I called a talk line by mistake, I was trying to reach a company. I was horrified. I hung up and told my wife about it. But, of course, my curiosity  plus urge  got me to call. This was probably 10+ years ago, called maybe 10 times total. Can't remember the last time I did that. Then my wife got a smartphone, and we blocked the browser entirely through parental controls, with each of us having half the code. Of course, when I was down I tried a few times and of course I figured out her half. Here and there I would go on really bad sites. Not long thereafter we got rid of that phone. That was also 10+ years ago/ But every once in a while I fall. I once found that one computer in the Yeshiva (!!!!) where I work had no filter. You read that right.. No filter, in the yeshiva computer! I would estimate that once in 2-3 months I went on really bad stuff there. One day I just realized that I need accountability, so I came to GYE. I know I have to answer to someone, I'm going to write it if I fall, and that helps me.
Now you might wonder, what am I writing this for? I am writing it first of all because I feel a kinship and I feel likes it's "therapeutic" to tell my story someplace. Because even the people that I really trust, I can't tell them any of this. I sometimes wish there was an anonymous phone line where I could call and tell a Rav what I struggle with, to get it out of my system. When I was bachur I was really close to my rebbeim, and I shared with them even my deepest secrets and struggles, I would tell my Rebbe if I M'd. BH I didn't stuggle with that much, but I did do it a few times in my bachurishe years, and my rebbe knew/knows about it. Maybe I'm weird that I shared that with my rebbe, but that's me. If I felt an attraction to a bachur I told him, and he understood me, always helped me, never judged me. There's no question that having such a person in my life changed me in unimaginable ways.  Alas, I don't think I'll ever have the nerve to go to anyone and discuss my normal struggles and mistakes at this point. What would a rav or even my rebbe, whom I am still very close to 20+ years later, think if a person in my position came and said "I struggle with this. Once in a while I can fall into watching P." I can't do that, so I'm saying it here. I'm a healthy person with normal urges and desires and it can happen that I fall sometimes. I try to avoid unfiltered machines, when I'm at my parents' house I don't touch their devices,  I told them to never let my kids touch their things and I warn my children to stay away, not even to look at Grandma's phone. But I know that every once in a while I'll find a device, and my urges, desires and curiosity (yes, I am still curious as to what some tags on some sites are supposed to mean. Curiosity is powerful.) can get the better of me. I joined GYE so I have to give an accounting, and I even had a fall since I joined, which I reported. I have a life's story, like everyone else, and here I shared some. Maybe some more another time.
But another reason I write this is because I look at what other people have written here, and I realize how small I am. I, the guy who sits up front at dinners, the guy whom you may have even heard at a dinner or some other place, I look at you in awe. Because I am not torn to shreds like some of you are, I have a happy marriage, and so many of you are working so hard to just keep the pieces in place. You are brutally honest with yourselves, and in spite of being in places I have only read about, doing things out there....in spite of that you are here, trying mightily to get only closer to Hashem, to be good, to be clean. I also struggle, but nowhere nearly as much as most of the people here. And I wish I could shake your hand and tell you how proud I am of you. I am so proud, and I know that I can't imagine how proud Hashem is. Keep it up!!! In this world I'm at the head table at the dinner, but believe me, at the se'udas livyason you guys will be up there, I hope I'll at least be in the crowd!

Thank you for this post! Did you ever end up reaching out to your rabbi from your youth? I have not yet have a chance to read through all of your posts on this thread.
Hi, my name is ILH and I’m a Sexaholic. Easy does it... I don't need to be perfect. 
If you figured out my identity, don't be shy, come say hi! 
It takes tons of courage to fight the good fight, but we don't have to do it all alone. 
My Story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/385922-My-Story-Being-Honest-For-Once

Re: It's all in the name 10 Feb 2023 20:30 #391900

• shmuel
  • Current streak: 578 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Eerie wrote on 10 Feb 2023 19:51:
I had a question I hope some of you can answer. Why is it that when we ask questions nobody writes anything, but when we are stating our opinion everybody has what to say? Oh, nobody will answer because I asked, so I'll write this as fact. 
Eerie says: When we ask questions people let it pass, but when we state things as fact everybody has what to say

Im here a few years now and i haven't observed such a pattern. 
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!

Re: It's all in the name 10 Feb 2023 20:35 #391901

• eerie
  • Platinum Boarder
[quote="iLoveHashem247" post=391898 date=1676060300 catid=19]
] wrote:

Thank you for this post! Did you ever end up reaching out to your rabbi from your youth? I have not yet have a chance to read through all of your posts on this thread.

Not as far as this struggle is concerned. I did reach out to HHM and I've made some incredible friends here, friends who look after me and care about me. I have been thinking lately that maybe I should open up to my rebbe, but I'm not sure if there's a point and it definitely will be very very difficult for me. He's a smart man, but I don't think he has ruach hakodesh. He knows me for 20+ years as a yeshiva bachur, kollel yungerman, maggid shiur. What will my opening up to him do to his perception of me? I learned here that the one he has now is not a false perception, just an incomplete picture. I don't know if I should fill in the missing parts for him. It will be very painful for me, and what's to be gained? On the other hand, I feel like I really want to be open, as part of the normalization of the struggle, as I've written in regards to having friends in this with me. But I have not decided anything yet. Anybody have any thoughts?

Re: It's all in the name 10 Feb 2023 20:41 #391902

• eerie
  • Platinum Boarder
Shmuel wrote on 10 Feb 2023 20:30:

I was just joking around, I have ended some posts lately with questions, and nobody answered them. that's all. have a wonderful Shabbos!

Re: It's all in the name 10 Feb 2023 21:03 #391903

• shmuel
  • Current streak: 578 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Eerie wrote on 10 Feb 2023 20:41:

Shmuel wrote on 10 Feb 2023 20:30:

I was just joking around, I have ended some posts lately with questions, and nobody answered them. that's all. have a wonderful Shabbos!

Thanks for clarifying.Have a wonderful Shabbos!

Re: It's all in the name 10 Feb 2023 21:17 #391906

[quote="Eerie" post=391901 date=1676061320 catid=19]
iLoveHashem247 wrote on 10 Feb 2023 20:18:

] wrote:

Not as far as this struggle is concerned. I did reach out to HHM and I've made some incredible friends here, friends who look after me and care about me. I have been thinking lately that maybe I should open up to my rebbe, but I'm not sure if there's a point and it definitely will be very very difficult for me. He's a smart man, but I don't think he has ruach hakodesh. He knows me for 20+ years as a yeshiva bachur, kollel yungerman, maggid shiur. What will my opening up to him do to his perception of me? I learned here that the one he has now is not a false perception, just an incomplete picture. I don't know if I should fill in the missing parts for him. It will be very painful for me, and what's to be gained? On the other hand, I feel like I really want to be open, as part of the normalization of the struggle, as I've written in regards to having friends in this with me. But I have not decided anything yet. Anybody have any thoughts?

Aderaba I think it would be an added source of support and if he is as wise as you make him out to be, he would respect you for fighting the good fight. 

confirm with HHM but I would definitely make use of that channel of support
Hi, my name is ILH and I’m a Sexaholic. Easy does it... I don't need to be perfect. 
It takes tons of courage to fight the good fight, but we don't have to do it all alone. 
My Story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/385922-My-Story-Being-Honest-For-Once

Re: It's all in the name 23 Feb 2023 12:16 #392548

• simchastorah
  • Current streak: 17 days
  • Gold Boarder
As healing as it is to open up our scary secrets to others and find acceptance, it can be incredible painful to open up and feel rejection. I myself opened up to my Rebbi about it in the past, before my issues got as serious as they did in recent months, and though I know him to be a very broad-minded and wise person, I did feel a certain amount of rejection. I may be picking up on something real, or I may be imagining it, but either way that has been my experience, and it has negatively affected my relationship with him. This is a disaster, because having a positive relationship with my Rebbi was absolutely critical in my life as a frum yid, as I'm sure your relationship with your Rebbi has been for you.
So if there's any chance that you will come away with feelings which will cause difficulty in your relationship with you're Rebbi, it's advisable to be extremely cautious before opening up. But if in the end the relationship will be fine, I don't think the pain of the experience is a reason not to do it. Aderaba it's a pain of healing.

Re: It's all in the name 23 Feb 2023 14:17 #392558

simchastorah wrote on 23 Feb 2023 12:16:
As healing as it is to open up our scary secrets to others and find acceptance, it can be incredible painful to open up and feel rejection. I myself opened up to my Rebbi about it in the past, before my issues got as serious as they did in recent months, and though I know him to be a very broad-minded and wise person, I did feel a certain amount of rejection. I may be picking up on something real, or I may be imagining it, but either way that has been my experience, and it has negatively affected my relationship with him. This is a disaster, because having a positive relationship with my Rebbi was absolutely critical in my life as a frum yid, as I'm sure your relationship with your Rebbi has been for you.
So if there's any chance that you will come away with feelings which will cause difficulty in your relationship with you're Rebbi, it's advisable to be extremely cautious before opening up. But if in the end the relationship will be fine, I don't think the pain of the experience is a reason not to do it. Aderaba it's a pain of healing.

It may help the relationship to follow up with your Rav and share your victories with him. Could be he simply didn’t know how to react/guide you and updating him with your successes and how you got to that success could be a chizuk and guidance to him as well.

Re: It's all in the name 24 Feb 2023 00:29 #392600

• eerie
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi there all my holy friends! Maybe I'm mistaken but it seems to me that there are a whole bunch of new faces here, each with so much to offer. I feel like there are tons of new people joining every day, and they are actively involved, beautiful! We have to ask Geshmak!, I think he keeps track of how many people are signed up, signing up, will sign up, have thought about signing up, should be signing up;)
I guess those who came before me have seen it happen many times before, but for me the most amazing part is watching the new members here post their story, watch them learn this place, and following them as they grow, as they learn to identify their challenges, learn how to deal with them, strategize, and to see them really fight back, which is the success, it is so heartwarming to see people growing and graduating these issues. I know, I sound like de elter zeide, but hey, maybe I am:)
Last Edit: 24 Feb 2023 06:32 by eerie.

Re: It's all in the name 24 Feb 2023 03:52 #392610

• geshmak!
  • Platinum Boarder
Eerie wrote on 24 Feb 2023 00:29:
Hi there all my holy friends! Maybe I'm mistaken but it seems to me that there are a whole bunch of new faces here, each with so much to offer. I feel like there are tons of new people joining every day, and they are actively involved, beautiful! We have to ask Geshmak!, I think he keeps track of how many people are signed up, signing up, will sign up, have thought about signing up, should be signing up;) I guess those who came before me have seen it happen many times before, but for me the most amazing part is watching the new members here post their story, watch them learn this place, and following them as they grow, as they learn to identify their challenges, learn how to deal with them, strategize, and to see them really fight back which is the success, it is so heartwarming to see people growing and graduating these issues. I know, I sound de elter zeide, but hey, maybe I am:)

Lol! 

gradah gimpelovitz sounds pretty zaidesh to me… so yeah it makes sense. But all jokes aside. I love to watch it too!! And guess what I think our beloved father in haven loves it too!!!
שבת שלם!!
Guys the only way were really gonna get help is with H’s help so we gotta beg him for help and he sure will help us cause he wants us helped!!
CRY TO HIM!!
https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/2-What-Works-for-Me/387630-Powerful!#387630

Feel free to pm me!
Time to create page: 0.79 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes