Welcome, Guest

It's all in the name
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: It's all in the name 21121 Views

Re: It's all in the name 06 Dec 2022 22:12 #389062

• eerie
  • Current streak: 766 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok, ok. guys! Let's all calm down a little bit, there's a little too much heat, I fear. Everyone of us had his baggage, his past, his education, the things his rebbe, therapist, etc. told him because he felt it would work for HIM. We are not the American Academy of Psychologists here, so we'll leave the academic questions for now. And please, my dear friends, if I can ask, next time when we argue, no insults please. First of all as Yidden we are enjoined "lo soni ish es amiso". Secondly, many of the people here are suffering from many different things, and when they are made to feel childish we are hurting them in a very real way, be they anonymous or not. So please, I urge you all to think very carefully when posting an argument. If you are concerned that someone may wrongly influence the people reading here, post a respectful response. If you feel that is not enough, ask a Rav. Being hurtful just isn't the way. My friends, we are here in GYE, fighting for Hashem, fighting for our families, together, holding hands, helping one another get to the top! Keep on smiling and share a word of encouragement.
Love y'all!
Eerie
Feel free to say hi. My email is 1gimpelovitz@gmail.com

Re: It's all in the name 06 Dec 2022 22:35 #389066

• eerie
  • Platinum Boarder
hi my dear friends, fellow bunkmates at GYE! I wrote another little piece in my thread in the BB forum
guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/388715-honest-conversation-with-my-wife#389065

Keep trucking! And smiling!

Re: It's all in the name 07 Dec 2022 03:16 #389074

• sapy
  • Platinum Boarder
Teshuvahguy wrote on 06 Dec 2022 01:47:

cordnoy wrote on 06 Dec 2022 01:32:

Human being wrote on 06 Dec 2022 00:17:

cordnoy wrote on 05 Dec 2022 22:34:
I generally do not talk Torah on this site and I certainly do not weigh in on philosophical nuanced stuff, however....

The Torah says: Lo sachmod, accordin' to many that means: do not covet/desire thin's that are not yours or that are wrong.

I am addicted to lots of stuff. I have acted upon those addictions as well. It is my responsibility to fix both those thin's. I may not equate the two and I may be more guilty of one more than the other, but even if God gave me those desires, which I have no way of knowin', He still would rather that I work on them somehow.

Yes, the Ibn Ezra, beis halevi, and more.

Godspeed to all

I don't think that would apply to sexual desire that cant just get worked on and "fixed".

Covetin' your fellow's wife sounds pretty sexual to me.

What’s the deal with the final “g”s, Cord…you didn’t used to drop them. What is the significance of that?

Omg... Cords, I can't decide if this means you gotta write more or less.... Vyukem Dor Chaddash asher lo yuda....

Re: It's all in the name 07 Dec 2022 08:21 #389080

• jackthejew
  • Platinum Boarder
Eerie wrote on 06 Dec 2022 22:12:
Ok, ok. guys! Let's all calm down a little bit, there's a little too much heat, I fear. Everyone of us had his baggage, his past, his education, the things his rebbe, therapist, etc. told him because he felt it would work for HIM. We are not the American Academy of Psychologists here, so we'll leave the academic questions for now. And please, my dear friends, if I can ask, next time when we argue, no insults please. First of all as Yidden we are enjoined "lo soni ish es amiso". Secondly, many of the people here are suffering from many different things, and when they are made to feel childish we are hurting them in a very real way, be they anonymous or not. So please, I urge you all to think very carefully when posting an argument. If you are concerned that someone may wrongly influence the people reading here, post a respectful response. If you feel that is not enough, ask a Rav. Being hurtful just isn't the way. My friends, we are here in GYE, fighting for Hashem, fighting for our families, together, holding hands, helping one another get to the top! Keep on smiling and share a word of encouragement.
Love y'all!
Eerie

On behalf of myself (the sane half:stuck_out_tongue:) I'd like to sincerely apologize for hijacking the thread
Off the forum for now.
My Thread (Not for inspiration, but for random bits and pieces of my journey, as well as the inspiring responses of others: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/375514-Enough-is-Enough
jackthejewgye@gmail.com
There are tips, tools, and techniques, but there are no shortcuts.

Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet! ~ Groucho Marx
Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable.-Voltaire
You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.- Abraham Lincoln
If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.- Yogi Berra
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." ~ Calvin

Re: It's all in the name 07 Dec 2022 08:24 #389081

• i-man
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
Eerie wrote on 06 Dec 2022 22:12:
Love y'all!
Eerie

Doesn’t seem to any insults from what I read, just some strong opinions on how to understand something. Remember that sometimes by making a giant deal about something small , it can become a big deal. then again , this is your thread to which you are entitled to control the narrative .

Re: It's all in the name 07 Dec 2022 18:00 #389092

• human being
  • Platinum Boarder
cordnoy wrote on 06 Dec 2022 21:42:
Hopefully the adults in the room are smart enough to know which posts to take to heart and which to discard.

Godspeed to all

I won't take your post to heart, because a smart man named cordnoy once told me, 

Why should one get insulted from the text and opinions of some anonymous, pajama-clad, basement-dweller, missin'-teeth, foul-odored, pot-bellied, winston-smokin', soap-allergic freak? Who really gives a damn? And if someone does care, then go ahead and say somethin'! Yes, some folks are shy.

We disagree on much! But you have definitely helped me be able to tenaciously stick up for my beliefs, while getting hit on all sides. So thanks.
Many of your beliefs are really bothersome to me, but you as a person are bothersome to no-one.
I'm sick of the Un-scientific approach of today's medical and social environment. 
we will never heal and become a better society unless we realize that all people are addicts. Any thing we do that we aren't interested in is "addiction" and medicine doesn't fix addictions. 

Pain causes addiction and medicine cant fix pain. 

Unless we heal our pain, and become truama conscious so as not to cause others pain, we will never be living in a functioning human society.

Re: It's all in the name 07 Dec 2022 18:15 #389093

• eerie
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi there all my dear brothers at GYE! I'm pretty new here and just started posting recently, so this whole new experience and stage in my struggles has got me thinking a lot about my past bunch of years. I know I'm sharing a pretty simple point, but anything that we see on our own flesh has that much more meaning. In my first post I wrote that I fall approximately every 2-3 months. After thinking about it I realized that basically every time I had access to a device that was not filtered (or not properly filtered) I would fall. I would fall hard. During the time that my wife had a smartphone I fell almost every day. Thank goodness that was not for a very long period of time. I'm a wimp, I know. I have urges that are powerful, and almost any time that I had the possibility of giving in to those urges, I did. That led me to realize that the only reason I did not fall more often is because I don't have the access. Which leads me to the simple point: avoid unfiltered devices. I have to do what I can not to have access to the garbage that has poisoned my mind, be it not to have devices that are not necessary  or to filter those devices that I need and use. (If you need access and need to use an unfiltered device, maybe only use it with someone else in the room, or (courtesy of HHM) touch base with a friend before using it, and tell him you are going on to that device and when you finish let him know you got off safely.) In parenting we are always told to 'pick your battles'. In protecting myself from the harmful things on the internet I see I have to pick not to battle. I just have to avoid being tested, because if I am...
I want to share another thought. I once saw in a dieting book that one of the tricks to dieting succesfully (don't we all have that battle of the bulge:)) is to retrain the mind. When a person keeps thinking 'I wish I could have that. That thing is so yummy. But what can I do, I have to lose weight', they make it so much harder on themselves. Because they identify the 'I' as wanting that thing. Rather, they should train themselves to think 'I don't want that. I know that thing is not good for me. There is an urge inside of me that is pushing me to eat that, but I, the real me, does not want that. You need to train yourself to think that the 'I' does not want to eat that.  I keep writing in my posts 'the garbage we've seen', 'the trash we've ingested', the terrible things out there'. trust me, guys, I have urges and desires, and I beg Hashem that I not be tested. I write it like that because I am trying to train my brain to truly realize that that is what it is. If I keep thinking, 'It is so geshmak. It is so enjoyable. I wish I could see those things again, but I know I shouldn't', then I will miss out on retraining my mind, I'll leave the urge as is, and leave the danger as is. I hope that by reminding myself constantly that those things are poisonous, that they are killing my neshama, then maybe I'll have a fighting chance. If I keep remembering that what I've done has damaged my marriage, I hope that will retrain me to think about the garbage as garbage and maybe I'll get past all of this. Dear brothers, thank you all for being here with me, it gives me so much strength to know that we are all in this together! Keep it up!
Last Edit: 07 Dec 2022 21:40 by eerie.

Re: It's all in the name 07 Dec 2022 18:18 #389094

• eerie
  • Platinum Boarder
dear HB and JTJ, I just wanted to clarify that I forgot to put the smiley in my comment about the AA of P(s)... Sorry about that! No need for anyone to apologize...always onward! Keep the comments coming my dear friends! And keep pumping!

Re: It's all in the name 07 Dec 2022 18:36 #389096

• human being
  • Platinum Boarder
This post has been moved to the thread "Feelings vs Thoughts. Can we "Get rid of them?"
I'm sick of the Un-scientific approach of today's medical and social environment. 
we will never heal and become a better society unless we realize that all people are addicts. Any thing we do that we aren't interested in is "addiction" and medicine doesn't fix addictions. 

Unless we heal our pain, and become truama conscious so as not to cause others pain, we will never be living in a functioning human society.
Last Edit: 07 Dec 2022 21:49 by human being.

Re: It's all in the name 07 Dec 2022 19:04 #389098

• eerie
  • Platinum Boarder
Dear HB, I see there are many things that you like to research all the way! That's a mouthful you got there...I have absolutely no problem with you teaching all that here, just wondering if a separate thread would be more effective, titled 'mind over matter 101'
Keep growing, my friend!

Re: It's all in the name 07 Dec 2022 19:33 #389099

• human being
  • Platinum Boarder
Eerie wrote on 07 Dec 2022 19:04:
Dear HB, I see there are many things that you like to research all the way! That's a mouthful you got there...I have absolutely no problem with you teaching all that here, just wondering if a separate thread would be more effective, titled 'mind over matter 101'
Keep growing, my friend!

yes im so sorry!! I only saw your message after i posted it! I will open a new thread. Hugs.

Re: It's all in the name 07 Dec 2022 19:36 #389101

• jackthejew
  • Platinum Boarder
Keep growing, my friend!

To my dear friend HB: In the interest of respecting the wishes of the Choshuve Baal HaThread, I would appreciate if you reposted this to the other thread and then we can continue this wonderful discussion
Off the forum for now.
My Thread (Not for inspiration, but for random bits and pieces of my journey, as well as the inspiring responses of others: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/375514-Enough-is-Enough
jackthejewgye@gmail.com

Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable.-Voltaire
You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.- Abraham Lincoln
If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.- Yogi Berra
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." ~ Calvin
Last Edit: 07 Dec 2022 19:37 by jackthejew.

Re: It's all in the name 07 Dec 2022 19:38 #389102

• jackthejew
  • Platinum Boarder
Human being wrote on 07 Dec 2022 19:33:

Keep growing, my friend!

yes im so sorry!! I only saw your message after i posted it! I will open a new thread. Hugs.

And of course I only saw your response after...
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
Off the forum for now.
jackthejewgye@gmail.com

Re: It's all in the name 07 Dec 2022 21:43 #389124

• eerie
  • Platinum Boarder
Can you guys stop apologizing so much? Oh, and don't forget to drop by every once in a while for a comment or two:)

Re: It's all in the name 07 Dec 2022 21:51 #389128

• human being
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok hijacking this thread has officially come to an end. Thank you @Eerie for hosting. I reposted all the relevant posts on the thread titled "Feelings vs Thoughts. Can we "Get rid of them?"  Anyone who want to continue the coversation, Welcome aboard!

Time to create page: 0.69 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes