Welcome, Guest

Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim 15098 Views

Re: Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim 22 Sep 2019 03:15 #343689

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2824 days
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Could a filter have helped you avoid this image?
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim 23 Sep 2019 18:54 #343729

• dave m
  • Current streak: 363 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hashem Help Me wrote on 22 Sep 2019 03:15:
Could a filter have helped you avoid this image?

Thanks for your response.  I responded to you through PM.

Re: Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim 25 Sep 2019 20:50 #343822

• dave m
  • Platinum Boarder

I would like to share with the chevra a vort I recently saw in sefer Darchei Musser on this week's parsha Nesavim that pertains to Rosh Hashanah as well.

The first pasuk in the upcoming parsha says אַתֶּם נִצָּבִים הַיּוֹם כֻּלְּכֶם - You are standing today, all of you. (Devarim 29:9) 

Rashi (29:12) brings a midrash that asked - Why is this parsha next to the the previous parsha that discusses the ninety-eight curses?  The Midrash answers - Because when Bnei Yisroel heard these ninety-eight curses they turned pale, and said, “Who can possibly endure these?” Thereupon, Moses began to appease them.  אַתֶּם נִצָּבִים הַיּוֹם כֻּלְּכֶם "You have angered Hashem many times, yet Hashem has never destroyed you. Indeed, you are still standing before Him"

Darchei Musser suggests that's why the pasuk says כֻּלְּכֶם. Because Bnei Yisroel were all together as one, that's why they were still standing.  Because Hashem promise to never destroy the Jewish nation. 

Darchei Musser quotes the following from the Alter of Kelm (R' Simcha Zissel).  As individuals, we should be afraid as we approach Yom HaDin.  Since individuals do not have this promise, they cannot rely on miracles.  Therefore, the Alter gives the following advice.  One should attach himself to the רַבִּים (community).  Whether it's being involved in community needs or being part of a chaburah of growing yidden.  By doing this, a person has the status of רַבִּים.  As רַבִּים, we can rely on miracles as we approach Yom HaDin.

That's why the pasuk emphasizes אַתֶּם נִצָּבִים הַיּוֹם כֻּלְּכֶם.  Since each individual was part of the klal, that's how they merited to still be standing before Hashem.

I was thinking how this applies to us.  As individuals we feel like dirt.  We have rolled around in the "mud".  We are embarrassed to look our wives and children in their eyes after the things we've seen or done.  We feel like hypocrites as we stand before Hashem asking him to overlook our short fallings.  Yet here we are part of the GYE community.  We keep on falling and getting back up.  We continue to post on the forum about our struggles and to be mechazik others in their challenges as well.  We are ALL part of the רַבִּים.  We are all working towards a unitary goal of achieving and maintaining an everlasting kedusha.  This should be a zchus for us as we approach Yom HaDin. 

May this be the year that we all are successful in defeating our lust behavior once and for all

K’siva V’chasima Tova

Re: Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim 25 Sep 2019 22:01 #343825

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2824 days
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Beautiful!  Forward this to the guard to publicize!
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim 26 Sep 2019 18:15 #343873

• dave m
  • Platinum Boarder
I just watched today's GYE Boost video that featured Rabbi Dr. Twerski

https://gye.vids.io/videos/e89ddbb9101ce2cf60/gye-broadcast-500

Unbelievable! 

Re: Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim 06 Dec 2019 16:21 #345810

• dave m
  • Platinum Boarder
Had a slip yesterday.  B'H I was able to pull back before it get worst.  Thank G-d Shabbos is here. 

Re: Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim 06 Dec 2019 16:31 #345811

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave M wrote on 06 Dec 2019 16:21:
Had a slip yesterday.  B'H I was able to pull back before it get worst.  Thank G-d Shabbos is here. 

Getting a hold of yourself in middle of a fall is even greater than holding back from falling! You are a great inspiration to all of us on GYE, keep it up!
David 
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim 09 Dec 2019 14:22 #345860

• dave m
  • Platinum Boarder
DavidT wrote on 06 Dec 2019 16:31:

Getting a hold of yourself in middle of a fall is even greater than holding back from falling! You are a great inspiration to all of us on GYE, keep it up!
David 

Thanks David for your words of encouragement.  However, I am disappointed that I put myself in that situation in the first place.  Can't ever let my guard down. 

Re: Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim 09 Dec 2019 16:08 #345862

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave M wrote on 09 Dec 2019 14:22:

DavidT wrote on 06 Dec 2019 16:31:

David 

Thanks David for your words of encouragement.  However, I am disappointed that I put myself in that situation in the first place.  Can't ever let my guard down. 

A person should NEVER put himself in a situation where he might fall. Hashem knows our strengths and weaknesses and when he sends a test we have the ability to overcome it, but when we put ourselves into a test, it might be beyond our ability to fight it... 

But on a positive note, you turned that situation into a learning experience for the future... 
Keep it up - you're an inspiration for all of us here!    
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"

Re: Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim 10 Dec 2019 01:20 #345869

• dave m
  • Platinum Boarder
Weekend went well B'H.  However, my "lust level" is still heighten due to the content I saw last Thursday.  From past experience, I know I just need keep clean and be extra careful of my eyes.  Eventually, the level should return to normal.
Last Edit: 10 Dec 2019 01:20 by dave m.

Re: Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim 10 Dec 2019 14:37 #345875

• dave m
  • Platinum Boarder
Yesterday, I saw in one of my children's book, a small picture of the author on the back flap.  For "normal" people, the picture was fine.  For someone like myself that has these struggles, I found the picture to be inappropriate and triggering, so I ripped it out and threw it away.  A small victory, but need to celebrate them as they come.  Writing this helps me concretize this. 

Re: Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim 11 Dec 2019 18:09 #345902

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave M wrote on 10 Dec 2019 14:37:
Yesterday, I saw in one of my children's book, a small picture of the author on the back flap.  For "normal" people, the picture was fine.  For someone like myself that has these struggles, I found the picture to be inappropriate and triggering, so I ripped it out and threw it away.  A small victory, but need to celebrate them as they come.  Writing this helps me concretize this. 

It's actually a MAJOR victory!

Re: Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim 12 Dec 2019 14:03 #345918

• dave m
  • Platinum Boarder
I recently ordered a new computer that should be arriving today.  Bli Neder I will not take it out of the packaging until my wife is home and we have a filter installed on the computer. 

Re: Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim 12 Dec 2019 15:07 #345919

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave M wrote on 12 Dec 2019 14:03:
I recently ordered a new computer that should be arriving today.  Bli Neder I will not take it out of the packaging until my wife is home and we have a filter installed on the computer. 

Please keep us posted on how it actually unfolded... We want to be proud and learn from you.

Re: Trying to elevate my shmiras einayim 20 Dec 2019 16:10 #346111

• dave m
  • Platinum Boarder
Small observation on this week's parsha.  I'm always amazed when I read the Rashi that brings down the machlokes between Rav and Shmuel.  What does it mean when "On that day, Yosef was going to do his work"?  One opinion was he was going to give into his taiva and live with Potiphar's wife. 

We are talking about one of the greatest people to ever live.  He had to go through an even harder challenge then what most of us do.  And he almost gave in!  The battles we go through are not simple. 
Last Edit: 20 Dec 2019 16:11 by dave m.
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes