Welcome, Guest

Holding Back One Time
(0 viewing) 
A Board for Yidden who are not as addicted, and for whom Torah/Chizuk/Chassidus can still help them stop.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Holding Back One Time 250 Views

Holding Back One Time 15 Jun 2022 19:36 #381987

• yissie
  • Current streak: 53 days
  • Senior Boarder
I recently heard a recording from Rav Efraim Wachsman (given erev Yom Kippur 5777) about the importance of holding oneself back once from doing something wrong. Every time someone does something wrong, it does terrible things in shamayim, and will affect this world. This is even for just once looking at something inappropriate.
And if one has a taava and holds himself back just once, how much more he is creating, how much better the world changes from this one act of abstinence. This is even if the next time he will fall, and even if he knew at the time he is just holding off for ten minutes, but this minute held himself back. If one understands this, then maybe he can hold himself just this one time. 
And if he holds back enough times because of this recognition, he will ingrain in himself the importance of holding back, and it would become easier, until he considers himself crazy to give that all up just for this one time. But this is all the next level, first just work on this one time.
For me, this was very meaningful. And I hope it helps others.

Re: Holding Back One Time 15 Jun 2022 19:46 #381988

• vehkam
  • Current streak: 1019 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Yissie wrote on 15 Jun 2022 19:36:
I recently heard a recording from Rav Efraim Wachsman (given erev Yom Kippur 5777) about the importance of holding oneself back once from doing something wrong. Every time someone does something wrong, it does terrible things in shamayim, and will affect this world. This is even for just once looking at something inappropriate.
And if one has a taava and holds himself back just once, how much more he is creating, how much better the world changes from this one act of abstinence. This is even if the next time he will fall, and even if he knew at the time he is just holding off for ten minutes, but this minute held himself back. If one understands this, then maybe he can hold himself just this one time. 
And if he holds back enough times because of this recognition, he will ingrain in himself the importance of holding back, and it would become easier, until he considers himself crazy to give that all up just for this one time. But this is all the next level, first just work on this one time.

Did you see today’s gye boost? Similar theme….
vehkam7@gmail.com

guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/375452-Work-in-progress

The Battle of the Generation by Hillel S. has been a huge help for me.  Message me to find out how you can receive a free copy.

some of the experiences I write about may make it easier to identify me.  This is ok.  I trust that if anyone discovers my identity they will keep it to themselves.  If you do realize that you  know me, I am completely comfortable and welcome you acknowledging me and my struggle in person.

Re: Holding Back One Time 15 Jun 2022 20:33 #381990

• jackthejew
  • Platinum Boarder
Yissie wrote on 15 Jun 2022 19:36:

On the other hand, thinking that it's your fault it's raining outside because you looked at something innapropriate can really get you down. So I'd say it's sometimes good,but too much of a good thing...
Off the forum for now.
My Thread (Not for inspiration, but for random bits and pieces of my journey, as well as the inspiring responses of others: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/375514-Enough-is-Enough
jackthejewgye@gmail.com
There are tips, tools, and techniques, but there are no shortcuts.

Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet! ~ Groucho Marx
Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable.-Voltaire
You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.- Abraham Lincoln
If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.- Yogi Berra
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." ~ Calvin
Last Edit: 15 Jun 2022 20:33 by jackthejew.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes