Welcome, Guest

Golus Mitzrayim and Breaking Free
(0 viewing) 
Im Paga be’cha menuval zeh, mushchei'hu le- BEIS HAMEDRASH! This board is for divrei Torah relating to our struggle with the Yetzer Hara, from the entire spectrum of Tanach, Chazal, Mussar and Chassidus. On this board there will be no posts about personal struggles and no debates. Only TORAH CHIZUK.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Golus Mitzrayim and Breaking Free 1917 Views

Golus Mitzrayim and Breaking Free 22 Dec 2010 16:43 #90263

• kiviyvy
  • Current streak: 11 days
  • Gold Boarder
  • Yashuv VYashuv!
Found this Fantastic Mashal today relevant to all of Sefer Shemos. See http://www.torah.org/learning/legacy/5770/vaera.html

A great sage was staying at an inn far from his home. Late at night, he sat down to say the Tikkun Chatzos, the lamentations over the destruction of the Temple that pious people say after midnight. The sage was so moved by the words of the lamentations that he burst into tears.

The innkeeper came running. "Rabbi, rabbi, what happened? Why are you crying?"

"Because our holy Temple was destroyed," said the rabbi. "Ah, if only the Messiah would come already and take us all out of this exile! Don't you dream of such a day?"

The innkeeper fidgeted. "Well, what about my inn? What would happen to it? And what about my goats and my chickens? Will I have to leave them behind?"

"Your goats! Your chickens! Forget about them. Think about the wonderful life that awaits us in Israel."

"Well, to tell you the truth, rabbi. I'm doing fine right here. I'm not sure I want to change things so much."

"But don't you ever have trouble from the local riffraff that call you a zhid and steal your chickens in the night?" the rabbi asked, trying to find a way to inspire the simple innkeeper to yearn for redemption.

"Yes, you are right," said the innkeeper, his brow darkening for a moment, but he immediately brightened. "I have an idea, rabbi! Let's send all the riffraff to Israel, then we can live here in peace. That would be a fine redemption!"

I think there's so much depth to this. I wish for redemption - to finally break free from all the nonsense that's holding me down. The problem is my twisted vision of redemption is to take all the horrid feelings that result from my  indulgence in lust and send THEM away, while keeping the Geshmak of that lustful indulgence - the fantasy, the escape.

What I fail to realize (in my kishkes) is that that's impossible. There's nothing Geshmak about that lust. If I were to view that lust from an outsider's perspective I'd see it for what it is - a truckload of packaging peanuts!! Yeah - send everything that's bad about packaging peanuts to the land of redemption and I'll keep the rest. What am I left with - the same peanuts!! There's nothing Geshmak about lust - I know it. Now...

Ribono Shel Olam!

Tatte!!

Help me remember that when I need it most!
Last Edit: by .

Re: Golus Mitzrayim and Breaking Free 22 Dec 2010 19:14 #90336

• Tuvia
  • Senior Boarder
How beautiful. 

What I find amazing is that the innkeeper would want to go through effort 100x larger by sending away all the riffraff instead of just leaving it behind and moving to such a beautiful, indescribable place!  How similar are we!  I think its like you mentioned YVY.  We don't know the true value of the redemption, so therefore are willing to trade it for all the packing peanuts!

Oy.

Great mashal, Yashuv.  Thank you for sharing.

Re: Golus Mitzrayim and Breaking Free 22 Dec 2010 20:49 #90380

• kiviyvy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Yashuv VYashuv!
Excellent insight Tuvia. I didn't even think of that.

Re: Golus Mitzrayim and Breaking Free 23 Dec 2010 14:01 #90493

• yesod tzadik
  • Current streak: 8 days
  • Expert Boarder
Excelent

Re: Golus Mitzrayim and Breaking Free 23 Dec 2010 19:35 #90533

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
Many thanks for these marvelous ideas!!!

Yashuv-VYashuv wrote on 22 Dec 2010 16:43:

A great sage

Wasn't that the Rebbe Reb Moshe Leib of Sassov Ztz"l?

Re: Golus Mitzrayim and Breaking Free 23 Dec 2010 19:51 #90542

• kiviyvy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Yashuv VYashuv!
Yosef Hatzadik wrote on 23 Dec 2010 19:35:

Many thanks for these marvelous ideas!!!

Yashuv-VYashuv wrote on 22 Dec 2010 16:43:

A great sage

Wasn't that the Rebbe Reb Moshe Leib of Sassov Ztz"l?

Was it? I really don't know, but I'm open to it

Re: Golus Mitzrayim and Breaking Free 23 Dec 2010 20:01 #90545

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
in Sipurei Ramach this story is ascribed to the Meor Einayim, with some small differences in the details

either way, the idea is great, thanks for bringing to us!
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes