Welcome, Guest

learning from the moon
(0 viewing) 
Im Paga be’cha menuval zeh, mushchei'hu le- BEIS HAMEDRASH! This board is for divrei Torah relating to our struggle with the Yetzer Hara, from the entire spectrum of Tanach, Chazal, Mussar and Chassidus. On this board there will be no posts about personal struggles and no debates. Only TORAH CHIZUK.
  • Page:

TOPIC: learning from the moon 1392 Views

learning from the moon 13 Jul 2009 15:47 #8673

In this past sedra Rashi mentions by the Rosh Chodesh korbon: Chatas l'shem, that kaviyochel Hashem asks us to bring a korbon for him that he made the moon smaller.
There obviously must be a lesson here... Hashem does not need our kapara!

The making of the moon smaller represents the downtrodden status of klal yisroel and holiness in the world (the moon = klal yisroel).

A glance at history shows that it is full of failures... from Adam in Gan Eden, to Noach coming out of the teiva, to the shevatim with Yosef to the chet eigel and meraglim to Shloma building the B"M and oversleeping to Chezkiyahu not singing shira etc...
It seems that we can't ever do it right!

But the amkus here is (heard this idea from R' A. Miller and lahvdil B'CH"L"CH from R' Wolfson and also R' Akiva Tatz) that it was all preordained to be this way... Hashem wanted all these falls because he treasures the light that (will ultimately) comes from darkness. It is much sweeter like the Zohar says... the brightest light is the one that shines in the pitch dark.

So on Rosh Chodesh when the moon starts coming back from one of the yeridos, we bring a chatas korbon, meaning we start the process of coming close to Hashem again, and whose fault is it? Chatas l'Shem, it is kavyochel Hashem's fault so to speak, he made it be this way, to take the long route rather than the easy way up. But the lesson for us is that this is the way it is meant to be, and we have the monthly reminder so that we not get discouraged, but keep climbing higher (and doing it yet again if we slip).

R' Wolfson often likes to show how the pashut p'shat in a Rashi jives with the drush. The pashut pshat here is that the korbon is going on a cheit that only Hashem knows about... in other words, an error that the person never discovered, and never therefore could bring a korbon for.

Well, this is essentially the same idea... Hashem is telling us that don't worry, everything will come to a tikun, even mistakes that we don't know about... same idea as the moon... don't worry about the morbid state of the world (or ourselves), Hashem says I did it, and so you can be sure that I'll help you out of it.

We so often feel sick with ourselves... why do we have to have all this garbage inside? The moon is teaching us that our mission in this world is constant renewal. Not just: "once and for all be over with it" avodah, but constant ups (and yes downs). We are living in sync with history and with the ultimate purpose of the world. And every up is infinitely brighter because of it.

Yes, its hard and frustrating. So Hashem says bring a karbon, to remind us that its His doing. He wants it to be this way.

Rashi, Breishis (10:25)
Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009 12:59 by backtoroad1.

Re: learning from the moon 14 Jul 2009 13:29 #8750

• battleworn
Gevaldig!!! For a post like this you should be called Gadol shel hachabura!
Last Edit: by aia.

Re: learning from the moon 14 Jul 2009 17:03 #8766

• Efshar Letaken
  • Current streak: 194 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I have a feeling that "Zeh Hakotoin Godoil Yiyeh" on GYE in the near future.
Last Edit: by .

Re: learning from the moon 14 Jul 2009 18:16 #8776

• Noorah BAmram
  • Current streak: 3710 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow! Wow! Wow!
What a well written beautiful inspiring timely uplifting post!

Keep em coming!

Kee nofalti....... Kamti- ke aishev bchoshech ....Hashem yoir lee.  Darkness then light!
How easy to say ...... How difficult to practice
but it helps to know that this is the master plan of Hashem, so eloquently said by "Gadol" shbechabura .

Noorah
[b]כי שבע יפול צדיק וקם[/b] 
A Tzadik is he who continues to  bounce back after he hits bottom, even a hundred times !!!!!Rav Don Segal Shlita

Re: learning from the moon 15 Jul 2009 20:21 #8886

Oh, Dear. Thanks for the kind words.
R' Guard, can you please add a 'blushing' emoticon in the menu?

Efsher and Battleworn and Noorah (and Guard and Rebbe Bardy and Dov and London and Mevakesh and Heliger Jack and MoMo and...), I've been reading your posts and following along with you for months. YOU are AMAZING. I have not had the guts to join up until now. I stand in  awe of how you are turning you life around, against all odds (ok, ok, I know, Hashem did it...) You are really special people, shoulders and up from the rest of the generation.
As I once emailed Guard, I don't know if after Moshiach comes if there will be a new megila or sefer hakodesh describing what happened in the galus. But if there is, I would bet a hefty sum that you chevra will have a prominent mention in it.
It is a zchus to be part of this group, even if I know I do not come close to you all.
kutan
Rashi, Breishis (10:25)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes