Welcome, Guest

Yosef's silent Shema and the well
(0 viewing) 
Im Paga be’cha menuval zeh, mushchei'hu le- BEIS HAMEDRASH! This board is for divrei Torah relating to our struggle with the Yetzer Hara, from the entire spectrum of Tanach, Chazal, Mussar and Chassidus. On this board there will be no posts about personal struggles and no debates. Only TORAH CHIZUK.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Yosef's silent Shema and the well 197 Views

Yosef's silent Shema and the well 30 Dec 2022 05:45 #390320

• icanbreakfree
  • Current streak: 662 days
  • Junior Boarder
Parshas Vayigash:

Yaakov Avinu comes down to Mitzrayim to greet Yosef, his Beloved son. Yosef hugs him, but Yaakov does not hug him back!
Why?! Rashi answers: He was saying Krias Shema.
The famous question is though, if it was Zman Krias Shema, Yosef should be the same as Yaakov. either both should say Krias Shema or both should hug each other?!
The Sfas Emes (according to how I understand it, and with my own flavour!) gives a beautiful explanation: it was not Zman Krias Shema at all, but the excitement that they can come back together, father and son! after 22 years! Was cause to immediately "scream" out the clarity that Hakadosh Baruch Hu is good, and gives reward to those who do his Mitzvos, and that everything that happens in the world is all Him Himself!! The best way to do that is by saying Krias Shema!
But why didn't Yosef?!
Says the Sfas Emes: Yosef lived in Mitzrayim for 22 years, he was in the darkest, most impure place in the world. He was thrown out by his own family, essentially cast out of Klall Yisroel by the Shvatim. Was thrown in prison. Became the most powerful person in Egyptian culture in that time!....... Through all those different kinds of Nisyonos, Yosef Hatzadik had to develop his Avodah in a much more Pnimiyus'dik way. not of Blatant Avodah, but doing the regular thing like everyone else, but with Kedusha, with depth, with Pnimiyus.
Yosef Hatzadik's Krias Shmah was a deep, silent clarity. no need to express that in words of a Krias Shmah. 
Yaakov was never FORCED to develop that silent depth like Yosef was, therefore he needed to literally SAY Krias Shemah!

For Us:
What should we do with a ditch?
Here are the options: 1. Fill it in, 2. Put water inside and use it as a well, 3.Use it to build the foundation of a tall building.
We have our challenges, and we are living these double lives of an Ehrliche Yid on one hand and loser/Self-centered/addict in private. We must realize that this Nisayon CAN be an impetus to developing a new area that people who don't have our challenge don't have the OPPORTUNITY to develop!!
We have the ability to develop our Self-control, our Self-less-ness, our fire for Avodas Hashem through the Koach Hatayva that we have seen express itself in us!! (others would just be "parve")!!!
Even the "Double life" factor can be used for good! to live a deep, yet silent Toradik life without anyone ever knowing whats really in our hearts!! 

May we be Zochehto realize that our "failures" (and all that comes with them) can bring us (like Yosef Hatzadik) to a much stronger and more real relationship with Hakadosh Baruch Hu!!  

Re: Yosef's silent Shema and the well 01 Jan 2023 12:25 #390388

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2824 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Beautiful!!
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes