Welcome, Guest

L'Chaim Tovim Thoughts & Inspiration
(0 viewing) 
Im Paga be’cha menuval zeh, mushchei'hu le- BEIS HAMEDRASH! This board is for divrei Torah relating to our struggle with the Yetzer Hara, from the entire spectrum of Tanach, Chazal, Mussar and Chassidus. On this board there will be no posts about personal struggles and no debates. Only TORAH CHIZUK.
  • Page:

TOPIC: L'Chaim Tovim Thoughts & Inspiration 281 Views

L'Chaim Tovim Thoughts & Inspiration 24 Jun 2022 16:23 #382420

• lchaim tovim
  • Current streak: 4 days
  • Gold Boarder
We say in Ashrei "Karov HAshem l'chol koraav, l'chol asher yikreu b'emes" Hashem is close to those who call to him, to  all those who call out to him  b'emes (in truth).

What does it mean to call out to Hashem b'emes?

B'emes is commonly translated as Truth, although I have also seen it translated as with emunah or without ulterior motives.

I was thinking that it can also be translated as honesty.

When we call out to Hashem, Hashem please help me with my struggles, I can't do it I need help, Is it from a place of honesty? are we saying I deleted that app, installed that filter etc. and now I need your help? Or, are we saying I need your help  but I still have access to that app. I need your help but I still didn't install that filter. 

When I fist quit smoking, I kept a pack just in case I wasn't able to do it and guess what? I wasn't able to do it. I wasn't being honest with myself quitting smoking and keeping a pack around just in case.

Webster's dictionary defines honesty as adherence to the facts. We have to be honest and realize that the fact is, if we keep the channels open to what we want to do while saying that we want to stop, we are not being honest with ourselves.
Last Edit: 24 Jun 2022 16:25 by lchaim tovim.

Re: L'Chaim Tovim Thoughts & Inspiration 30 Jun 2022 16:16 #382662

• lchaim tovim
  • Gold Boarder
In the beginning of  Parshas Vayeishev Posuk Yud Alef, It says regarding Yosef Hatzadik וַיְקַנְאוּ־ב֖וֹ אֶחָ֑יו וְאָבִ֖יו שָׁמַ֥ר אֶת־הַדָּבָֽר׃

Rash says that the word shomer could mean waiting 
שמר את הדבר. הָיָה מַמְתִּין וּמְצַפֶּה מָתַי יָבֹא, וְכֵן שֹׁמֵר אֱמֻנִים (ישעיהו כ"ו), וְכֵן לֹא תִשְׁמֹר עַל חַטָּאתִי (איוב י"ד) – לֹא תַמְתִּין:

I was thinking, maybe this is what it means when we say Shomer Negiah or Shomer Einayim. We don't just touch or look. Rather, we wait, is this the appropriate time or place for  looking or touching.

Re: L'Chaim Tovim Thoughts & Inspiration 30 Jun 2022 20:25 #382681

• yissie
  • Current streak: 53 days
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you for both points.

I have previously understood that when someone is shomer negiah or shomer einayim, it is not just not to touch or look, but rather protect yourself and prepare for the future that you should not end up touching or looking.

Re: L'Chaim Tovim Thoughts & Inspiration 30 Jun 2022 20:37 #382682

• yechielmichel
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Expert Boarder
Lchaim Tovim wrote on 30 Jun 2022 16:16:
In the beginning of  Parshas Vayeishev Posuk Yud Alef, It says regarding Yosef Hatzadik וַיְקַנְאוּ־ב֖וֹ אֶחָ֑יו וְאָבִ֖יו שָׁמַ֥ר אֶת־הַדָּבָֽר׃

שמר את הדבר. הָיָה מַמְתִּין וּמְצַפֶּה מָתַי יָבֹא, וְכֵן שֹׁמֵר אֱמֻנִים (ישעיהו כ"ו), וְכֵן לֹא תִשְׁמֹר עַל חַטָּאתִי (איוב י"ד) – לֹא תַמְתִּין:

I was thinking, maybe this is what it means when we say Shomer Negiah or Shomer Einayim. We don't just touch or look. Rather, we wait, is this the appropriate time or place for  looking or touching.

"Shomer Negiah" is a construct that was manufactured by those who are Moreh Heter for themselves.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: L'Chaim Tovim Thoughts & Inspiration 30 Jun 2022 20:46 #382683

• jackthejew
  • Platinum Boarder
yechielmichel wrote on 30 Jun 2022 20:37:

Lchaim Tovim wrote on 30 Jun 2022 16:16:

"Shomer Negiah" is a construct that was manufactured by those who are Moreh Heter for themselves.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think since in this case it takes two to tango, they're Moreh Heter for the other as well.
Off the forum for now.
My Thread (Not for inspiration, but for random bits and pieces of my journey, as well as the inspiring responses of others: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/375514-Enough-is-Enough
jackthejewgye@gmail.com
There are tips, tools, and techniques, but there are no shortcuts.

Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet! ~ Groucho Marx
Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable.-Voltaire
You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.- Abraham Lincoln
If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.- Yogi Berra
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." ~ Calvin

Re: L'Chaim Tovim Thoughts & Inspiration 30 Jun 2022 20:59 #382685

• lchaim tovim
  • Gold Boarder
Could be, I don't know. It still applies to the way we use it though and to shemiras einayim.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes