Welcome, Guest

Guard your tongue = guard your brit
(0 viewing) 
Im Paga be’cha menuval zeh, mushchei'hu le- BEIS HAMEDRASH! This board is for divrei Torah relating to our struggle with the Yetzer Hara, from the entire spectrum of Tanach, Chazal, Mussar and Chassidus. On this board there will be no posts about personal struggles and no debates. Only TORAH CHIZUK.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Guard your tongue = guard your brit 490 Views

Guard your tongue = guard your brit 17 Dec 2021 21:14 #375041

The Abir Yaakov is the grandfather of the Baba Sali and great grandfather of Rav David Abuchatzeira. Here's what he writes in regards to our struggle: 

"The rectification of the brit (lies in) pursuing peace (in) Yisrael...because the defilement...causes precious sparks of holiness to be scattered...To the degree that these parks are scattered, so too are the holy Jewish people scattered...As we work to gather the Jewish people back together in peace, love, and unity, so too does Hashem gather together the holy sparks that we scattered...and returns them to their holy source in Heaven. For this reason it is so important not to feed the disunity and strife that rages among us. Especially damaging in this regard are the sins of lashon hara. The brit of speech parallels the brit milah. We guard the brit of speech by refraining from lashon hara, thereby correcting the sins of brit milah...As a person struggles to improve himself in one area, he improves in the other as well." (Teachings of the Abir Yaakov Vol 2 Chapter 1 Page 19) 

I myself am studying the laws of shmirat halashon and I recommend it to all of you as well. The truth is so much we say thinking it's permissible is not actually permissible and actually lashon hara or rechilus. This came to my attention only after studying the hilchot lashon hara and it's something that concerned me greatly. Rabbi Avi Wissenfield on TorahAnytime, Rosh Yeshiva of Beit Dovid, has classes on hilchot lashon hara from Sefer Chofetz Chaim that are usually less than 10 minutes and I recommend watching them. Obviously this is a daily commitment sort of schedule but it's pretty manageable for me.  

(If somebody wrote about this before me, I didn't see and I'm sorry)
FOR FREE FILTERS AND ACCOUNTABILITY SOLUTIONS CLICK HERE
(Includes WebChaver/CovenantEyes, Microsoft Family Safety, and Apple
Screentime
and a how-to guide to set them up without loopholes)  

Even if you already have a filter, these are necessary additions because
they fix many loopholes that exist with paid filters (speaking from firsthand
experience) and because they add priceless accountability features.

If you have trouble filtering a shared device, then see the post for how
to get these filters discreetly, without any other users' knowledge whatsoever
and without the filters affecting the other users of the device at all.
Last Edit: 24 Dec 2021 20:08 by To Yosef Hatzaddik.

Re: Guard your tongue = guard your brit 20 Jun 2022 15:55 #382169

• TheNextStep
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Senior Boarder
So you're saying since there's a connection, studying lashon hara can help? 

Re: Guard your tongue = guard your brit 20 Jun 2022 17:07 #382172

Yea, that’s what I took away from it. 
FOR FREE FILTERS AND ACCOUNTABILITY SOLUTIONS CLICK HERE
(Includes WebChaver/CovenantEyes, Microsoft Family Safety, and Apple
Screentime
and a how-to guide to set them up without loopholes)  

Even if you already have a filter, these are necessary additions because
they fix many loopholes that exist with paid filters (speaking from firsthand
experience) and because they add priceless accountability features.

If you have trouble filtering a shared device, then see the post for how
to get these filters discreetly, without any other users' knowledge whatsoever
and without the filters affecting the other users of the device at all.

Re: Guard your tongue = guard your brit 22 Jun 2022 00:11 #382244

• kavey
  • Expert Boarder
Very interesting. I actually find it hard to work on both at the same time and find I need to prioritize. But maybe not.

Re: Guard your tongue = guard your brit 22 Jun 2022 20:37 #382279

• happy guy
  • Current streak: 991 days
  • Expert Boarder
I don't really think so. אדרנה, we have a self-control "muscle" that keeps the יצר הרע in check. Exercising it in שמירת הלשון will strengthen it for שמירת העינים and שמירת הברית. 

Add to that the exciting שמחה  that accompanies the satisfaction of withstanding a נסיון and you are come out ahead בכל הענינים  

I think. 
טראכט גוט
מי שמאמין לא מפחד
(201) 201-5251

Re: Guard your tongue = guard your brit 23 Jun 2022 10:51 #382318

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2824 days
  • Platinum Boarder
The Talmidei Baal Shem Tov bring this concept many times in their sforim - that the bris ha'lashon is parallel with the bris kodesh, and that zehirus in speech assists one in shemiras ha'bris. It is a metzius in the way we were created.  So although working on two things at once is often not advisable, this seems to be an exception.
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes