Welcome, Guest

Chizuk picks from the Daf Yomi
(0 viewing) 
Im Paga be’cha menuval zeh, mushchei'hu le- BEIS HAMEDRASH! This board is for divrei Torah relating to our struggle with the Yetzer Hara, from the entire spectrum of Tanach, Chazal, Mussar and Chassidus. On this board there will be no posts about personal struggles and no debates. Only TORAH CHIZUK.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Chizuk picks from the Daf Yomi 1501 Views

Chizuk picks from the Daf Yomi 07 Jan 2020 23:43 #346568

• doingtshuva
  • Platinum Boarder
As one who just started the new cycle of the Daf Yomi, I thought to start a thread which brings Chizuk for our struggles from the Daf.

Everyone is welcome to share post and get inspired.

The general rule of GYE in this section of the forum.
Im Paga be’cha menuval zeh, mushchei'hu le- BEIS HAMEDRASH! This board is for divrei Torah relating to our struggle with the Yetzer Hara, from the entire spectrum of Tanach, Chazal, Mussar and Chassidus.
On this board there will be no posts about personal struggles and no debates. Only TORAH CHIZUK.
 *  NO, It's not all or nothing, just every bit counts!
 *  I failed yesterday, and I might fail tomorrow. But just for today I'm going to give it a try.
 *  Being curios made me lust and get into trouble.

אָמַר רבי יוחנן: אֵבֶר קָטָן יֵשׁ לוֹ לָאָדָם, מַרְעִיבוֹ = שָׂבֵעַ, מַשְׂבִּיעוֹ = רָעֵב

Gye program + Handbook  -  Taphsik method  -  90 day chart  -  Ebooks  -  Shiurim  -  Rabbi Dr. Avraham Twerski  -  Recent topics on the Forum

Re: Chizuk picks from the Daf Yomi 08 Jan 2020 14:14 #346575

• im-ready
  • Fresh Boarder
Ive been hearing alot on these forums that we need to fight but the goal is not to win.
Lets not lose focus the goal is to fight AND WIN and we need to use the tools that Hashem gave us and his Torah to accomplish this goal

in todays daf brachot daf R Levi bar Chama says hey it says a person should always fight his yetzer horah and if he wins great, if not learn torah, if he still doesnt win read shema, and if he still didnt win the yetzer horah think of death.

so obviously we need to stay focused on the goal of winning and not just fighting as and end goal in itself ...and losing
Last Edit: 08 Jan 2020 14:39 by im-ready.

Re: Chizuk picks from the Daf Yomi 08 Jan 2020 15:06 #346576

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank for this great and very true insight. If I may add, in yesterday's daf  the gemara tells us  that although in “Ashrei” each pasuk starts with the next consecutive letter of the Aleph Bais, the pasuk beginning with Nun is omitted.  This is because a pasuk with “Nun” speaks of the downfall of Klal Yisroel.  “Nafla Lo Sosif Kum Besulas Yisroel”.  Even though Dovid left out the Nun he still lifted it up again with Ruach HaKodesh, as the pasuk after the missing Nun starts with the letter Samech and says, “Someich Hashem L’Chol HaNoflim”; Hashem supports all those who have fallen.

The word Nes is made of the letters “Nun” and “Samech”.  
Chazal teach us that Before a person experiences a miracle - nes -, he is given a trial - nisayon. There is no ascent (aliyah) without a prior descent (yeridah). The lower the descent the higher the potential ascent.

We are being tried now more than ever before. We are in a "period of descent." The "nes" can only manifest itself in the "ascent" that we are called upon to do and have the opportunity to make. Will we climb that mountain? If you reverse the letters for "nes" we have the letters samekh and nun, the root letters of Sinai.

------------------------------------------------------

Another point in regards to what @im-ready wrote:

How do we figure out whether a sweeping, instantaneous change is a good idea? If the person wants to leave the bad behind and believes he can succeed, he should try it. But if he doubts he has the strength to pull it off, or if he is not sure he wants to give up his old ways, this method is unlikely to work. He should not expect himself to be instantly changed. Without that initial burst of energy, he probably won’t be able to break free in one shot. He must plan accordingly and change gradually instead.

Thus, a plan involving gradual change often is the best way to attain self-control. If a person just “does not feel it,” it will be hard for him to change his life. Though he knows he should stop sinning, he might not have the strength to sustain such a big change. But because deep down he wants to be good and do what’s right, he can set up a plan to change his behavior step by step until he achieves his goals. This method requires much less motivation and willpower than instantaneous, complete change.

Gradual change is a system that requires a plan.

Although randomly stopping one element of the problem is commendable, we strive for even more: to begin a progression toward complete self-control. We want to plan out what we will change and when. We should be flexible about it, but we must remember that we do aspire to reach the pinnacle one day.
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com
Last Edit: 08 Jan 2020 15:15 by davidt.

Re: Chizuk picks from the Daf Yomi 08 Jan 2020 23:56 #346584

• doingtshuva
  • Platinum Boarder
https://www.thesiyum.org/
You can watch the Sium + some inspiring clips.

Thanks to my wife who pushed me start attending a shiur.
It's not that easy, it's a real commitment, but I find it being very beneficial.
I go out, meet with real people and make friends.
Learning torah is the basics but I was missing from it.
 *  NO, It's not all or nothing, just every bit counts!
 *  I failed yesterday, and I might fail tomorrow. But just for today I'm going to give it a try.
 *  Being curios made me lust and get into trouble.

אָמַר רבי יוחנן: אֵבֶר קָטָן יֵשׁ לוֹ לָאָדָם, מַרְעִיבוֹ = שָׂבֵעַ, מַשְׂבִּיעוֹ = רָעֵב

Gye program + Handbook  -  Taphsik method  -  90 day chart  -  Ebooks  -  Shiurim  -  Rabbi Dr. Avraham Twerski  -  Recent topics on the Forum

Re: Chizuk picks from the Daf Yomi 09 Jan 2020 14:41 #346599

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
doingtshuva wrote on 08 Jan 2020 23:56:
Thanks to my wife who pushed me start attending a shiur.
It's not that easy, it's a real commitment, but I find it being very beneficial.
I go out, meet with real people and make friends.
Learning torah is the basics but I was missing from it.

When we study halachos in depth, Hashem minimizes the yetzer hara in that area. Thus, learning the halachos of desire is quite helpful. Studying the halachos of a sin also impresses upon us that it really is forbidden, and creates a commitment not to do it. It no longer feels like theoretical knowledge that this is something we shouldn’t do. It feels real. This gives us the strength to stand up to our yetzer hara and confidently tell him no.
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: Chizuk picks from the Daf Yomi 10 Sep 2020 07:32 #354872

• navigo
  • Fresh Boarder
Kol Hakavod!  Thank you so , much for this Torah Wisdom.  It really resonates with me the fact that the deeper the descent, the more possibility of a higher ascent.

Baruch Hashem!  
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes