Welcome, Guest

Translator needed
(0 viewing) 
Im Paga be’cha menuval zeh, mushchei'hu le- BEIS HAMEDRASH! This board is for divrei Torah relating to our struggle with the Yetzer Hara, from the entire spectrum of Tanach, Chazal, Mussar and Chassidus. On this board there will be no posts about personal struggles and no debates. Only TORAH CHIZUK.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Translator needed 2723 Views

Translator needed 10 Dec 2009 00:46 #33687

• Kollel Guy
Does anybody know of someone who can translate a (very easy, and relatively small) sefer into english? (Without charging an arm and a leg)
I have a wondeful sefer on the basic inyanim and halachos of shmiras einayim and kedushas hamachshava, with very down to earth and practical advice and suggestions for how to apply all of them in a realistic way.
I think it's a real chaval that the english speaking olam out there is missing out on this sefer, and would like to try to do something about it.
Last Edit: by mokazz.

Re: Translator needed 10 Dec 2009 03:58 #33714

• kedusha
  • Current streak: 717 days
  • Administrator
Kollel Guy wrote on 10 Dec 2009 00:46:

Does anybody know of someone who can translate a (very easy, and relatively small) sefer into english? (Without charging an arm and a leg)
I have a wondeful sefer on the basic inyanim and halachos of shmiras einayim and kedushas hamachshava, with very down to earth and practical advice and suggestions for how to apply all of them in a realistic way.
I think it's a real chaval that the english speaking olam out there is missing out on this sefer, and would like to try to do something about it.

I have no doubt that Guard would know how to do it.  And, since he has so much time on his hands . . .  :D ;D
Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!
Last Edit: by insidegift.

Re: Translator needed 10 Dec 2009 07:15 #33740

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm far from an expert on translations, but I'd be happy to give it a shot. What sefer is it, and who's the author? Are they OK with it being translated?
Last Edit: by yolomo.

Re: Translator needed 10 Dec 2009 08:29 #33752

• Kollel Guy
It's called Vihaer Eineinu, and i'm trying to contact the mechaber. He's not in it for the money at all (about 4$ a sefer), so I can't imagine he'll say no, but yeah gotta ask just in case.
Last Edit: by kowarek872.

Re: Translator needed 10 Dec 2009 14:26 #33844

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Where can I pick one up?

It's not just about money. For example, I've heard from R' Volbe's Talmidim that he would never have allowed Alei Shur to be translated into english, no matter how good the translation.

But hopefully, that won't be an issue here.
Last Edit: by yisroel meir.

Re: Translator needed 10 Dec 2009 18:01 #33894

• Kollel Guy
I just spoke to the mechaber, he says there are already people in England working on translating it, but unfortunately it didn't seem like they were in too much of a rush.
They don't sell them in stores (as far as I know), but there's a # to contact the distributors: 08-974-2822 Israel , 718-252-7480 USA , 0191-477-2218 England
Last Edit: by sammy3672.

Re: Translator needed 10 Dec 2009 18:04 #33895

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
What's their estimated time of completion (If there is one)?

Is there any way I could check it out before buying it and committing? I've never really bought a book through a distributor before - how would that work? I'm in America, by the way...
Last Edit: by shimboner.

Re: Translator needed 10 Dec 2009 18:44 #33913

• Kollel Guy
When i say distributor, i don't mean a whole official business matzav, just a guy you call to go to his house and get the sefer.
Last Edit: by street42.

Re: Translator needed 11 Dec 2009 09:49 #34062

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 745 days
Kedusha wrote on 10 Dec 2009 03:58:

Kollel Guy wrote on 10 Dec 2009 00:46:

I have no doubt that Guard would know how to do it.  And, since he has so much time on his hands . . .  :D ;D

See Shmiras Ainayim Chizuk E-mails 151-157 on this page.  :D

I spoke to the Mechaber a number of times... Yes, someone was supposed to be translating it, but they are very slow. I have had someone already offer to translate the safer before, but the Mechaber was waiting for someone else to do it... He's probably still waiting...

Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by moshe269.

Re: Translator needed 11 Dec 2009 16:34 #34101

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
From what kollel guy is saying it sounds like the mechaber is getting a bit frustrated with the slow pace, and might consider someone new - so if you know someone who could do it, that would be great...otherwise, I don't mind taking a look and seeing if I think I could do something with it.
Last Edit: by DeletedUser5837.

Re: Translator needed 25 Dec 2009 03:16 #37884

• shemirateinayim
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't know about the sefer in question. but there's also a sefer "Histaklus bahalacha"..I don't have the phone# for the distributor in us, but the mechaber is in Ey ( i think he also wrote a whole sefer on standing in the 4 amos of someone davening shmona esrai)

Alno nitay gavriel has some perakim on this at the end of hilchos yichud (and crazy thing is that he's matir histaklus when the person/situation is guaranteed to arouse no hirhurim....i always used r MOSHE who holds there's no heter for histaklus, on reyah bealma ['peripheral vision']
Last Edit: by nhloo.

Re: Translator needed 25 Dec 2009 04:16 #37895

• kedusha
  • Current streak: 717 days
  • Administrator
silentbattle wrote on 11 Dec 2009 16:34:

From what kollel guy is saying it sounds like the mechaber is getting a bit frustrated with the slow pace, and might consider someone new - so if you know someone who could do it, that would be great...otherwise, I don't mind taking a look and seeing if I think I could do something with it.

If someone asked me to translate a sefer on Histaklus, I would answer "I'll see."  :D : : :

I know what everyone is thinking: "Don't quit your day job, Kedusha!" 
Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!
Last Edit: by bongeka.

Re: Translator needed 25 Dec 2009 07:59 #37941

• Kollel Guy
Kedusha wrote on 25 Dec 2009 04:16:

silentbattle wrote on 11 Dec 2009 16:34:

If someone asked me to translate a sefer on Histaklus, I would answer "I'll see."  :D : : :

I know what everyone is thinking: "Don't quit your day job, Kedusha!" 
Sefer on koach ha'shemiah      - "I hear"
        shmiras hamachshava  - "I'll think about it"
        Kedushas ha'dibur        -  "I'll have to discuss it"
We're all 'not quitting' our day jobs together.
Last Edit: by csmtsy.

Re: Translator needed 25 Dec 2009 10:21 #37976

• imtrying25
  • Current streak: 16 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Kedusha i thought this was the bais medrash............NOT THE DPRESSED PERSONS CHILL SPOT.
Last Edit: by danielyom.

Re: Translator needed 25 Dec 2009 14:29 #38042

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Seriously, though, what's up with that sefer - is the mechaber interested in someone else? How much has already been done? Etc...
Last Edit: by audrie.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes