Welcome, Guest

22. Catching ourselves as we begin to slip
(0 viewing) 
On this board, everyone is encouraged to share their journey through the 18 tools of the GYE handbook and get Chizuk and answers from everyone else here as well!

The GYE handbook provides a systematic framework for breaking free of this addiction. But just reading it alone won’t do very much if we don’t “work” the tools therein. So after reading through the GYE handbook once, we go back and start again from the beginning, this time taking it slowly and giving each tool a lot of careful thought. Have we tried the first few tools yet? What parts have we still not tried? Do we have questions, comments, doubts about any of the tools? Slowly but surely, tool by tool, day by day, the GYE handbook - together with the group support of this board - will provide you with the best framework possible for systematic growth and progress.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 22. Catching ourselves as we begin to slip 1580 Views

22. Catching ourselves as we begin to slip 09 Nov 2010 04:06 #83608

Even if we started to slip, we can achieve the greatest levels of Kedusha by stopping ourselves from sliding further. (See Chizuk e-mail #355 on this page for a deeper explanation of this important yesod). And the Sefarim also write that the Nachas Ruach we give to Hashem by holding back even when we feel “we already blew it,” is even greater than when we successfully avoid the tests in the first place.
- 18 -
Perhaps the greatest illustration of this is Yosef Hatzadik. The Gemara (Sotah 36b) says that Yosef actually came to Potifar's house to sin (as Rashi brings). And the Gemara goes on to say that he actually spilled some seed at the time, thereby losing ten Shevatim that were supposed to come from him. And when after all that, he still held back from sinning, he became the great Yosef Hatzadik!
R' Tzadok and other Tzadikim explain that this is what really constituted the great test. The Satan said to Yosef: “Don't you see that you already messed everything up? Don't you realize what a goner you are? Your brothers hate you and sold you to Mitzrayim, nobody cares about you anymore. You're lost and cut off from this world and the next. And now you’ve failed so badly. Face the facts, it's over!”
But Yosef Hatzadik said “No! I don't care about anything - not even about being a Tzadik. The only thing that concerns me is: What do I need to do at this very moment? What does my Father in Heaven want from me right now?” And it was in that zechus that he merited everything. And Chazal say that even the splitting of the Yam Suf was in Yosef’s merit!
So, if we want to split our own personal Yam Suf, this is one of the greatest Yesodos to keep in mind
Last Edit: by .

Re: 22. Catching ourselves as we begin to slip 09 Nov 2010 04:11 #83611

once we start to fall we start to feel like we blew it and whats the point. WRONG! when we stop ourselves after we started to slip we can acheive greater levels of kedusha.
the gemorah says that yosef hatzaddik spilled some seed and yet he still controlled himself even though he alredy "blew it" only then did he become yosef hatzaddik
the satan said to yosef haha! its all over you loser, you know what yosef said back? he said its all over for you satan haha, wanna know why, just cus of a slip does not meen its over. in fact you know what came from yosefs zechus? the kriyas yam suf. imagine if yosef would have said that its all over, then everything would have been over.
Last Edit: by .
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes