Welcome, Guest

Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 75560 Views

Re: Eye.nonymous official count 08 Jun 2010 04:21 #69395

• Dov
  • Administrator
Thanks for sharing that, chaver. There is no therapy and good advice on parenting than doing the best you can for Hashem, and discovering what actually works for you and the family! I, for one, have had enough with self-help and advice books. Had a basement full of 'em at one point in my life....Which point? You guessed it: the point in my life when I was acting out with lust the most! 
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."
Last Edit: by .

Re: Eye.nonymous official count 08 Jun 2010 09:26 #69417

• think good
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Gold Boarder
Just logged in after a break.

Wow I can't believe you fell!! I know exactly how you feel  > I have looked at your progress with wonder and tried to follow you. I have had a lot of encouragement and inspiration by your progress and contribution. 

Keep "trucking" lets go together for next 90 days clean days and beyond.

I'm back to day 10 :D

Re: Eye.nonymous official count 08 Jun 2010 11:32 #69426

• briut
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Eye, you are like my basement full of parenting books. On video (or at least on occasional posts from a reality show). I've been "learning" The Gates of Peace (R Arush) b'chevrusa now for several months, and your thread is like the workbook. Or maybe even the answer key.

Thanks for sharing your emotional 'insides' (kishkes) with us all.

Re: Eye.nonymous official count 09 Jun 2010 05:35 #69633

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
Think Good wrote on 08 Jun 2010 09:26:

have looked at your progress with wonder and tried to follow you.

You can follow, but try not to follow THAT part!--the fall 

--Eye.

Re: Eye.nonymous official count 09 Jun 2010 05:35 #69634

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
Day 11.

Re: Eye.nonymous official count 13 Jun 2010 12:32 #70307

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
Day 15.

Friday was very difficult.  I got this feeling like I wanted to act out.

I recognized--this is because I'm feeling overwhelmed.  There were only a couple of hours left and, as my wife put it, "None of the food is cooked and the house is a total mess!"

I felt like, "Guess we'll never be ready."

I looked at our erev Shabbos "to do" list, and all the tasks seemed petty--these are all the things we've got to do, but none of them really seem like they'll make much of a difference.

I caught myself.

Wash the floors... okay... I can do that.  Maybe I'll get that done.  Forget about the rest of the list.  Maybe I won't get anything else done, and that's okay.

Finished?  What can I do next?

etc, etc.

After two or three of these tasks, I started to feel better.

"One day at a time," sometimes has to be "one task at a time."

--Eye.

Re: Eye.nonymous official count 13 Jun 2010 22:06 #70366

• Dov
  • Administrator
Geshmak, thanks again, Eyeball man.
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: Eye.nonymous official count 14 Jun 2010 14:47 #70485

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
Day 16.  Got out of my selfish head again and helped my wife and child.

One of our kids had to the hospital for certain tests.  This was expected to take the whole morning, and a good part of the afternoon.

The plans changed several times.  First my wife and I were going to go, then my wife with a friend, then we were looking for volunteers to help.

In the end, I just agreed to go along with a close family friend and my wife was able to stay home.  This was a huge relief for her.

I can hardly believe it.

I think my wife can hardly believe it, too.

--Eye.

Re: Eye.nonymous official count 14 Jun 2010 16:25 #70527

• briut
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
You know the story of the man whose wife always messed up the pre-Shabbos work. The Rebbe told the complaining husband, so pick up a broom.

I always thought it was a story of learning to be a cheerful martyr in the face of an incompetent wife, and facing the facts as they exist.

Never occured to me that the real benefit went to the husband.

Until I've read some of your 'kid & hospital' and 'Shabbos prep' stories.

"We learn some from ourselves.
And more from our rabbis and friends.
But from our wives we learn the most of all."

Thanks.

Re: Eye.nonymous official count 18 Jun 2010 07:20 #71297

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
Day 20.

The other day I was really frustrated.  I've got a new habit--instead of sulking and brooding over these bad feelings, I reach out to someone from DC's group.  It helped alot.

I have changed my opinion about sharing all this stuff with my wife.  She doesn't really want to see me all gung-ho about recovery, and about my wonderful new way of looking at things.  Especially since it's a continuing process (takes time).  It's threatening to her, competition for time and attention.  My wife didn't SAY so, but it explains a lot.

I've decided to go low-key.  Keep my mouth shut.  If I want to get across how much this program has helped, the ONLY way is just by becoming a better husband and father.  More patient, more attentive, more helpful. 

Forget the philosophy.

--Eye.

Re: Eye.nonymous official count 18 Jun 2010 17:44 #71370

• Dov
  • Administrator
I have found that my program is generally between me and Hashem and my program buddies - the overflow will positively affect my wife until the point that she becomes an indirect fan of the program. As shown whenever she says, "Dov. You are acting like a lunatic, dear. Go to a meeting, OK?"  :-*

Good Shabbos!

Re: Eye.nonymous official count 21 Jun 2010 13:03 #71543

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
Got this weird feeling, like I want to go escape somewhere, but there's nowhere to go anymore.

Feeling like I just want to go hybernate.

Like there's something I ought to be doing, but I don't know what it is.

Dazed.

Like, "Just leave me alone!"

Like, I try to put on the other set of glasses (reference to DC's group), but everything still looks the same afterwards.

Ever get that feeling?

Re: Eye.nonymous official count 21 Jun 2010 13:10 #71546

• yehoshua1
  • Current streak: 1957 days
  • Platinum Boarder
No, what do you mean??? 

Re: Eye.nonymous official count 23 Jun 2010 12:51 #71805

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
First of all, that question was actually a rhetorical one.

Day 25.

Feeling much better.  I had this feeling like moods go up and down, and life sometimes feels brighter and sometimes darker.  And, sometimes my health is better than at other times.

But, emotionally, I thought I always ought to be able to overcome whatever challenges I face, and gracefully too.

I think what happened is I was honestly emotionally drained.  I needed a rest.  I needed to go into low gear.  Maybe for an hour, maybe for a day.  For a little while.

I got a lot of chizzuk from the fellows in DC's group.  The basic theme was, "Get out of your head and help someone."

I think that instead of feeling pity for myself, feeling bad that I don't think I can DO anything NOW, I really should have just done whatever I could.  And maybe rested and then done something.

I think it's valid that sometimes we need to take things easy.

I can be helpful, but sometimes only in low gear.

I would worry if I ALWAYS felt this way, suspect that I'm really just being selfish and self-seeking.

Usually I'm not.  Usually I would do more.  So, I think that's a good sign.

--Eye.

Re: Eye.nonymous official count 23 Jun 2010 13:05 #71807

• sci1977
  • Current streak: 438 days
  • Platinum Boarder
KUTGW!!  You can do this!!  It's a one day at a time thing. 
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes