Welcome, Guest

This is it - 90 Days here I come!
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 32549 Views

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 13 Jun 2010 16:44 #70327

• yona18
  • Current streak: 4500 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Steve,

Thanks a lot. I got a lot going on at the moment so I haven't been so active here, but I will call you one of these days. Hope Shabbos was good!
Last Edit: by .

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 13 Jun 2010 17:57 #70330

• Steve
  • Current streak: 5034 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • I
This Shabbos I had a lot of herring at a kiddish.

So i'll await your call with baited breath....
No one is so small that he can not give help, and no one is so big that he doesn't need it.

Kol HaOlam Kulo, Gesher Tzar Meod, V'HaIkkar: Lo L'Pacheid Klal.

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 18 Jun 2010 00:43 #71271

• yona18
  • Platinum Boarder
Oh Steve,

That was absolutely horrendous. I was just talking about herring with someone before I saw your post - funny. Anyway, I'm doing all right here. I started my chashuva internship and it's going really well so far. I have a good schedule, I mind my own business more or less, and steer clear of trouble. When a person is productive and doing good things with their life, they are so happy I think. Just gotta keep that focus.

Day 4 I think: Great!

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 18 Jun 2010 06:32 #71292

• ano nymous
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey dude!
Glad you're doing well! Everything is going well on my end. I kinda wish people would post in my thread, but I guess you've got to dish it out to get it back, and I haven't been putting in that time lately

Call me sometime, especially if you are feeling weak. That is the hardest thing to do, but it's the most effective way to get rid of the lust.

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 18 Jun 2010 15:05 #71326

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey...hope you're doing OK. Sorry I haven't been around much. Feel free to give me a call anytime, and keep on rocking!

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 20 Jun 2010 04:23 #71432

• yona18
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm gonna stay more in contact with you guys IYH. Struggla reached out to me so that was nice and I'll call him every now and then. Battle, can you IM me ur number? I don't think I have it. I would like to meet you at some point too - maybe we can make that happen sometime.

I had a very good Shabbos. Spent it at a friend's house. Didn't have any problems BH. I'm getting stronger with G-d's help again.

Day 6; Two thumbs up

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 20 Jun 2010 05:12 #71441

• installed
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Noya,

Nice to read your thread. Lot's of info that was applicable to me...

I'm one day behind you, let's hope it remains that way  . Good luck with your internship!

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 21 Jun 2010 23:47 #71606

• yona18
  • Platinum Boarder
Another good day today. It was rather tedious at the office today because I was working on this one project all day long that I just wasn't chapping. I still haven't finished it, which means that tomorrow I'll still be at it, but oh well, I'll survive. I do enjoy the work overall though, so it's turning out to be a fairly enjoyable summer thus far BH. The chizuk email today said it all I think. As long as we don't have anything missing in our lives, we shouldn't feel in pain. I would like to add something that I said quickly earlier, but it's starting to make more sense now with me.

I personally find that I am happiest when I am "in the zone." Being in the zone means that day in and day out I am PRODUCING. I am using my time well, doing good things, whether that be learning, making money by doing something engaging at work (or sometimes not so engaging, but you have some of each I guess), studying for school, whatever. I am NOT wasting time watching hours of stupidity or playing hours of video games.

When I am wasting time I feel that void open up. It's opening because my neshomo is crying out that it can do MORE and I'm not even doing a fraction of what I could be doing. And as a result of not producing I act out because that's the easiest way to quell that void.

Of course, by engaging in such an activity no void is ever filled. If anything, the guilt and frustration over doing soemthing you know is wrong just makes things worse than ever. Over Shabbos I realized that, olam haba and other spiritual considerations aside, there is absolutely no justification to do any aveira even from a net present value perspective.

After all, let's say you give in to the urge to masturbate. How much pleasure does that get you already? Twenty minutes max. But what happens afterwards? You're (at least I am) out of commission the entire rest of the day because you feel guilty. You can't function. People know that you're miserable (they ask me all the time "what's wrong?" after I act out so clearly it's written all over my face that I'm miserable) and this feeling of misery is vastly more potent and lasting than the pleasure obtained from sinning (which usually is closer to five minutes or less).

So there you have it, from a pure business perspective it just isn't worth the price, olam haba aside.

Day 8: Very good!

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 22 Jun 2010 00:00 #71609

• ano nymous
  • Platinum Boarder
Same here! When I'm being productive there's hardly any urge to do anything stupid. It's when the boredom comes that we get into deep trouble. If you get into any of that, please call me before you do anything stupid (and I'll do the same).

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 22 Jun 2010 23:48 #71738

• yona18
  • Platinum Boarder
Today was a bit rough. Had a few nisyonos in transit and I need chizuk in shmiras ainayim. After all, what's so bad about a glance here or there? Let's put on our thinking caps and tell NOYA the answer. Also, today was very boring, and I am feeling somewhat lonely and put out. So I'm trying to be more social than usual in response. Hopefully it worked. Anyhoo, it's only the beginning of the week and I gotta beef up!

Day 9: Pretty good. Thanks Strug!

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 24 Jun 2010 20:21 #72042

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
What's wrong with a few glances? Well, I could point out that you're cluttering up your head with images you don't need, you're following your Lust, and allowing it to control you...but let me ask you another question: Do you really want to look? I mean, aside from the desire, is that what you want?

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 24 Jun 2010 23:50 #72069

• yona18
  • Platinum Boarder
Hmm, well you definitely have a good point about letting lust be in control. Lust is that machine in me that delivers a good time at a terrible cost. It makes me unhappy and frustrated, and anything that fuels this machine is therefore something  you gotta stay away from.

If you look at the pretty women, it will activate the lust, which will make you do something that you will regret later. Hmm, maybe. As for do I want to look or not, well that's a damn good question. I was going to say, "Are you retarded?! Of course I want to look!" but maybe that isn't true. My addiciton wants to do it very much, and physiologically I want to do it because it is an easy source of pleasure, but then again, is it really something I want be-etzem? I have to think about that more.

Day 11: Pretty good success overall. Had a few nisyonos on the trip to work, but I learned as much as I could deespite having attractive girls sitting next to me.

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 25 Jun 2010 10:16 #72148

• ano nymous
  • Platinum Boarder
If you don't call soon, worry in my head may form.
Have you been kidnapped, password from you torn?
Did he have to torture you, did he have to break your knees?
I'm so sorry for the gore, but to worry I am prone.
So please put my mind at ease,
and pick up your da mn phone.

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 29 Jun 2010 16:54 #72528

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I was gonna PM him with something similar, but you put it more eloquently than i ever could have!

NOYA - glad to hear that things are going well!

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 02 Jul 2010 01:07 #72781

• yona18
  • Platinum Boarder
You know what long periods of no posting means, right? Yeah, I've been really really bad lately. I need to find a night seder chevrusa, I need to make some friends here because I feel so lonely not knowing anybody in my new apartment (just for the summer), and I guess that loneliness and lack of structure got me to crash and burn pretty hard. I haven't worked up the enthusiasm to stop yet. I am so numb. Yikes.
Time to create page: 0.53 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes