Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: I'm Trying! 41409 Views

Re: I'm Trying! 01 Nov 2009 14:41 #26501

• imtrying25
  • Current streak: 16 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanx Rabbeinu that post reallt made me understand my matziv better. So far im doing good hope to make it through.
Last Edit: by shragi9a.

Re: I'm Trying! 01 Nov 2009 15:08 #26504

If you've got some time, read through threads from the beginning. Its really pretty interesting.
I'm trying to convince Guard to publish a book.
So far no luck.
Rashi, Breishis (10:25)
Last Edit: by coows.

Re: I'm Trying! 01 Nov 2009 16:59 #26507

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
The GYE vision has lots of books on the Horizon... But for that, we'll need a lot more man-power and a lot more $$... But don't worry... I'm confident Hashem will help us get there one day...
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by Starlight1.

Re: I'm Trying! 01 Nov 2009 18:05 #26514

• the.guard
I just tell myself its not right. Its not the right thing to do. But i cant get myself to realize its DEADLY (We can cont on my post if you like)

Maybe these stories can help:

www.guardyoureyes.org/?p=861

www.guardyoureyes.org/?p=176

www.guardureyes.com/GUE/Stories/HorStory1.asp
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by holabien.

Re: I'm Trying! 01 Nov 2009 19:16 #26531

• Dov
  • Administrator
Dear R' Guard - I liked Esther's story the best.
Thanks,
Dov
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."
Last Edit: by spacexdragon.

Re: I'm Trying! 01 Nov 2009 19:46 #26535

• the.guard
I liked yours best!  ;D
Last Edit: by Palesam.

Re: I'm Trying! 01 Nov 2009 21:51 #26549

• Dov
  • Administrator
Hey, this is not a fair fight. You've got the bayonett and scary shtreimel, and I'm just 10 months old and pudgy! Waaaaaa!!!!!! :'(
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."
Last Edit: by Benbagbag.

Re: I'm Trying! 01 Nov 2009 21:58 #26551

• the.guard
Reb Dov, I promise not to hurt you with the Streimel.

BTW. Last time I tried to hurt someone with the bayonet, I ended up making a hole in the wall... Bayonets aren't very useful when your eyes are covered!
Last Edit: by Beq.

Re: I'm Trying! 02 Nov 2009 07:13 #26575

• TrYiNg
Hey can i get some slack trying?!? Do you really think that your pic is better than mine. When i couldnt ride my bike anymore i got off and walked and at the same time chugged my bicycle with me! ;D

Who needs da bicycle ? Let all ur packages go. All your old tools are to be discarded. Sometimes its our old thought/habits that weigh us down. Just go up an up...
And in my pic, I have a chairlift, which I'm gona use right now, since  i fell back to the bottom again

imtrying25 wrote on 29 Oct 2009 12:11:

You're 100 percent right. Women have a tayva to impress men. YET----this is not the reason they dress the way they do on a daily basis. (I understood that's what we were discussing.) A frum women doesn't put on a makeup and think ' oh goody, now all the guys on the strt will  think I'm georgous". She knows she looks pretty and feels good about it. They would be horrified of the thought that they might have been machshil other men. And if she talks to a guy and he stares at her in that way, she won't feel good. She'd feel like she's treated as an object, instead of takin seriously. (Disclaimer:I'm talking about frum women, in general. There are always ppl who need attention and will get it any way possible)  

Above is a qoute of a post you wrote somewhere else. ( I still havent figured out how to carry a quote over so i just copied and paste so you dont get the blue background sorry) Anyways i totally agree with every word you wrote. Its something that has been bothering me for a really long time. After much thought and i mean much thought i came out like what your saying. Women dress up the way they do because they like looking nice and presentable. They most definitly dont mean to trigger men to lustful thoughts. And more if they would know they would be disgusted by it. Its just their natural way of being. But of course us perverted men dont see it that way. Its us with our messed up minds that get triggered by it. Now im not saying women could wear whatever they want but most of the time this is the case. Now youre gonna ask "How are you so sure of yurself and yourpshat"? Well i have thought about it and from some commen sense that i sure hope i have AND from the fact that i have9 sisters helped me come to this conclusion. ( hope i didnt just give away my identity)

:)knew dat witout 9 sistas :o :D
Last Edit: by Bob1245.

Re: I'm Trying! 02 Nov 2009 08:57 #26578

• imtrying25
  • Platinum Boarder
My davening (prayer) and learning went through a long cold period (for about 3 years) soon after getting sober, but with lots of help and a few years of patience, it finally turned a corner, and now, like my marriage and my life in general, the davening and learning are better than I had ever dreamed they’d be.

Hey Dov what do you mean when you write this. Do you mean that you put emphasis on learning and davening aside in order to work full force on your addiction?

Who needs da bicycle ? Let all ur packages go. All your old tools are to be discarded. Sometimes its our old thought/habits that weigh us down. Just go up an up...
And in my pic, I have a chairlift, which I'm gona use right now, since  i fell back to the bottom again

Hey my bicycle is what i use to help me climb just like you use the chairlift.
Last Edit: by Daniel17.

Re: I'm Trying! 02 Nov 2009 21:37 #26679

• Dov
  • Administrator
imtrying25 wrote on 02 Nov 2009 08:57:

My davening (prayer) and learning went through a long cold period (for about 3 years) soon after getting sober, but with lots of help and a few years of patience, it finally turned a corner, and now, like my marriage and my life in general, the davening and learning are better than I had ever dreamed they’d be.

Hey Dov what do you mean when you write this. Do you mean that you put emphasis on learning and davening aside in order to work full force on your addiction?

Hi, Trying!
Not really. What it means is that I made my priority doing whatever it takes to stay sober today. I wouldn't call it "working on my addiction", because for me, that puts too much power into my ego. After all, my addiction was really working on me. I did my part to live right: worked the steps with my sponsor, went to meetings regularly, and acted like I was really sick, cuz I am. And just doing that, made me change and slowly get healthier. I give all the credit for any improvement in myself to two things: Hashem and, l'havdil, my addiction. For me, it's like gravity: you get stronger and stronger just by walking around and not falling on your butt. But you have to be walking, not just standing there and "trying not to fall".
You can see how concentrating on "not acting out" can short-circuit the entire thing, because it's a sure way to keep me living in the problem, rather than in the solution.
It just so happenned that in my case, the davening became wierd and I lost my cheshek for some reason. (In older posts I offerred reasons for that, to be menachem those who are going bonkers in that phase, and to light a fire under them, too!) B"H, I didn't let that scare me away from staying the course. I knew that if I retained the deep kavonoh and remained an active, progressing sexaholic, it'd be "a gold ring in the nose of a pig". Worse than worthless, in my case, cuz I would have destroyed my life and taken my wife and children down with me. Oh, and all the way while davening with great kavono! Really. Some frum people may have told me then that my emptiness in davening must mean I was "not on the derech", and I believe that advice would have been just plain retzicha (murder).
So to finally get to your question:
My priority was not davening well, having cheshek, learning well, etc. It was on doing whatever I needed to do to stay sober today. And part of that is learning to trust Hashem that the lack of kavonoh I am having today is exactly His will for me.(See the talks of Reb TzviMeyer about this idea.) Perhaps the fact that i davened at all during that period made a great nachas ruach for Him. regardless of nachas and ruachs, I knew I had to stay sober just to survive, and that is all that really matterred. Oops, I said that already, sorry!
Did that answer your question, Trying?

Last Edit: by PGD.

Re: I'm Trying! 03 Nov 2009 01:10 #26705

• me3
  • Current streak: 97 days
  • Platinum Boarder
thank you reb dov for a beautiful post. I don't know aboit others bit it helped me  (& english too)
Last Edit: by ari613.

Re: I'm Trying! 03 Nov 2009 08:55 #26725

• 7yipol
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • YES HE CAN!
P.S. 7up , you should know that your not the first one to call me watson, honestly. But anyway why would you wanna make me feel dumb??? I worked hours and hours on putting that together and you just say that

:-[Oops
Quoting wise lines and brilliant people is also a sign of wisdom Doc!

Keep your posts coming, I enjoy them.
Hope you're feeling better :)
Hashem is addicted to you! Feel His hugs!"Sheva yipol tzaddik VKUM"
Last Edit: by daisy613.

Re: I'm Trying! 03 Nov 2009 20:09 #26782

• imtrying25
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Dov thanx for your response. You should know that i really love your posts. I wish we can get to know eachother better because your way of thinking is just up my alley. There is one aspect i feel needs more clarification ( at least for me). First you wrote
But you have to be walking, not just standing there and "trying not to fall".
and then you wrote
My priority was not davening well, having cheshek, learning well, etc. It was on doing whatever I needed to do to stay sober today.
. Also i basiclly took from your response that it wasnt a conscience decision not to work on your davening and learning but rather you were busy with something much more important. Did i miss the boat???? ??? Please gget back to me.
Last Edit: by elie.lacher.prise.

Re: I'm Trying! 03 Nov 2009 23:31 #26828

• Dov
  • Administrator
imtrying25 wrote on 03 Nov 2009 20:09:

Hey Dov thanx for your response. You should know that i really love your posts. I wish we can get to know eachother better because your way of thinking is just up my alley. There is one aspect i feel needs more clarification ( at least for me). First you wrote
But you have to be walking, not just standing there and "trying not to fall".
and then you wrote
My priority was not davening well, having cheshek, learning well, etc. It was on doing whatever I needed to do to stay sober today.
Also i basiclly took from your response that it wasnt a conscience decision not to work on your davening and learning but rather you were busy with something much more important. Did i miss the boat???? ??? Please gget back to me.
Yes. You must understand: Yes, the davening of a person who is an addict and not getting the help they need is still precious to Hashem, as all davening is. It may help them gain the siyata dishmaya they need to eventually get help. Nevertheless, their davening may still not work for them. In my case and others', the addict needed to give something up, to break free of the shame and admit the truth of their inability to stop to themselves, to other (safe) people, and to ask for help. They also needed to stop doing what is not working for them. As long as they keep trying the same exact thing and expecting a completely different result (it'll work/I really mean it this time!), they are doomed to keep having ta'aynos (complaints) on Hashem, thinking "why is He not helping me?!". The things they are trying are: 1) acting out (Yup! In the heat of the moment, we all figured that if we just gave in, the annoying tayva would finally leave us alone for a while, right?), 2) davening for "help" (even though they are not letting go of the sheretz and doing nothing really different) - the SA white book calls this "begging G-d to take it away so that we do not have to give it up!"), 3) learning/davening/doing every normal thing the same as we always have, as though nothing is wrong (hiding at all costs). None of these things worked for me to quit, at all, and they only made the habit of living within the problem deeper and worse. Sort of like not breaking the luchos, if you know what I mean. They were the luchos, after all...not very nice to throw luchos on the floor, you know....
I am not saying davening does not help, nor am I suggesting we stop living normally. What I am talking about is admitting that our davening and learning, family time (or lack thereof), and other habits, have not been innocent bystanders in our problem. WE ARE one person. These good parts of our lives have mostlikely been molded and twisted, perverted, to allow us to live the sick way we have been living. They do not need to stop, but they need to change. OK, that's one.
Now, as an addict, my life was basically taken over by lust. My life was in the toilet. That means so was my davening and learning. Not a nice place for those things, right? Getting clean is simply the #1 priority for an addict. Nothing else really matters. So, no, my learning and davening did not stop - what kind of a yid doesn't learn or daven at all? But I made changes in them to try and focus them on gaining sanity and sobriety. Any person with a severe disease understands this, I think. The refuah you desperately need takes over your entire life, plain and simple. And the main thing I needed especially early on, was getting out of my head and letting go of self-concern whenever possible. That can only be done by doing for others w/o thoughts of repayment of any kind.
I am sure I made many mistakes along the way (may Hashem protect me and forgive me for any I make today!) and will screw up at times in the future, but we keep our eye on the prize, that's all. Priorities. For some people, getting clean is not lichatchila - it is really pikuach nefesh. I still don't know if your question was answered, sorry....
Last Edit: by StartAgain1.
Time to create page: 0.62 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes