Welcome, Guest

Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!"
(0 viewing) 
This is a board for all the important threads that we don't want to get lost among the others :-)

TOPIC: Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!" 26200 Views

Re: Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!" 21 Dec 2009 02:28 #36281

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
The T stands for Time, I believe...as in, Time to reach the goal!
Last Edit: by iron.

Re: Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!" 21 Dec 2009 12:24 #36333

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
Day 52.  I guess I'm finally playing with a full deck.
Last Edit: by youonlyliveonce.

Re: Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!" 21 Dec 2009 13:00 #36340

• Momo
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I might regret this, and I feel badly about taking people's money, but I might be up to this challenge. If it helps GYE and helps me, it might be the right decision.

I've had a hard time getting to 90, but I am willing to set up numerous safeguards, give it a real solid effort this time around, and operate with complete integrity. 

I have 13 days clean so far (not counting today).

My previous record is (I think) 24 days.

What do you think Guard? Would this put too much pressure on me, or help me along in moments of weakness? Is this wrong for me since I'm not supposed to be focusing on 90 days but rather living, and accepting myself even if I fall once in a while? And, Rav S is really against the 90 days. So, if I do this and continue to see him create a conflict of interests.

On the other hand, I bet I raise a nice amount of money for GYE. 
Last Edit: by jared.

Re: Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!" 21 Dec 2009 14:25 #36368

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
I definitely think you should do it, but try to keep it a secret from Reb Shlachter, and even from yourself - and just focus on living for today  
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by mendysos45.

Re: Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!" 21 Dec 2009 14:28 #36372

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
Eye.nonymous wrote on 21 Dec 2009 12:24:

Day 52.  I guess I'm finally playing with a full deck.

Go Eye Go!

Momo's right behind you (you may have to strain a little to see him, but there he is, sure enough as the sun in the sky  )

Do I hear sponsors for our new 90 day contestant?

Kedusha, please take over. I'm hoarse already.
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by charles18.

Re: Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!" 21 Dec 2009 14:52 #36377

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
I find the 90 days is a good litmus test.  If you find it's getting easier to stay clean for longer stretches, it means you're probably doing some internal work as well.

You wouldn't necessarily notice if you weren't keeping track.

Secondly, even though the 90 days isn't a goal unto itself (you can't plan to fall after you made it to 90 days), it does give you a feeling of accomplishment, which give you more strength to stay clean in the future.

Even someone who hasn't stayed clean for a day feels a great sense of accomplishment and astonishment at staying clean for his first day.  Is there anything wrong with that?  I don't think so.

Also, 30 days for me used to be a big psychological barrier.  I thought that there was some biological time-bomb just waiting to go off every 30 days.

So, when I surpassed 30 days and still felt cool and collected, it really made a big difference in my overall view of my ability to stay clean.

I think the 90 days is sort of like starting up your engine on a cold winter day. (oh, but it's been so long since I've driven anything besides local transportation).  Anyways, you keep turning the key and pumping the gas and the car keeps stalling.  After a few tries, you can hear that the engine is going to make it!  It's going to keep on going!

So, I think the 90 days is supposed to be something like that.  Once you've made it to 90, you've got a new vision of yourself--you can keep on going!

But, just don't get too confident.  Once an addict, you can never let down your GUARD!

Also, this is a huge war we're fighting.  We need all the weapons we can get!  They may not suit some people?  Fine.  They may suit someone else?  Great.  So keep it in the arsenal.

It's a sign of maturity to be able to peacefully disagree...

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion...

...and I'm entitled to be right!    ;D
Last Edit: by 1357924680.

Re: Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!" 21 Dec 2009 16:37 #36415

• kedusha
  • Current streak: 717 days
  • Administrator
Momo wrote on 21 Dec 2009 13:00:

I might regret this, and I feel badly about taking people's money, but I might be up to this challenge. If it helps GYE and helps me, it might be the right decision.

I've had a hard time getting to 90, but I am willing to set up numerous safeguards, give it a real solid effort this time around, and operate with complete integrity.  

I have 13 days clean so far (not counting today).

My previous record is (I think) 24 days.

What do you think Guard? Would this put too much pressure on me, or help me along in moments of weakness? Is this wrong for me since I'm not supposed to be focusing on 90 days but rather living, and accepting myself even if I fall once in a while? And, Rav S is really against the 90 days. So, if I do this and continue to see him create a conflict of interests.

On the other hand, I bet I raise a nice amount of money for GYE.  

Hello Momo,

If you're up to the challenge (which is great!), I propose you do it similar to the way Eye is taking the challenge, which involves a minor modification of the original rules.  

Assuming that we get the necessary sponsors, here's how your challenge would work:

1.) The challenge will begin when you have at least 20 days clean.

2.) When you hit 30 days, the first payment by your sponsors is due (10%).

3.) When you hit 50 days, the second payment by your sponsors is due (25%, including any money previously paid).

4.) When you hit 90 days, the final payment by your sponsors is due (100%, including any money previously paid).

Again, sponsorships are $100, but half sponsorships for $50 are available too.  The goal is to raise $500 in sponsorships, if possible (in Eye's case, we raised $400).  Anyone want to invest in Momo?  He's a rising stock (and a rising star!).
Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!
Last Edit: 21 Dec 2009 16:45 by zelisb2008.

Re: Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!" 21 Dec 2009 23:19 #36591

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
I had to think this over a bit, cuz I'm already quite a bit ahead of when it comes to giving maaser money (and not as "ahead" as I'd like when it comes to how much I have in my bank account)...but Momo, you can do this, and I want to be a part of it!

I'm in for 1 spot.
Last Edit: 21 Dec 2009 23:21 by madrianm.

Re: Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!" 21 Dec 2009 23:20 #36592

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Oh, and don't feel bad about taking our money - feel proud for giving us this opportunity! As Kedusha pointed out, it's like getting a hot tip and buying a stock! It's an investment, and the best kind - an investment in ruchniyos!

Last Edit: by madrianm.

Re: Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!" 21 Dec 2009 23:47 #36594

• kedusha
  • Administrator
Thank you very much, Silent!

Oh my gosh - this is like an initial public offering!  B'li Neder count me in too!  We're up to $200.  Anyone else for a full or half sponsorship?
Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!
Last Edit: by geeeee.

Re: Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!" 22 Dec 2009 05:51 #36655

• Momo
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you Silentbattle and Kedusha for your confidence in me and for the sponsorship.
I was a little bit disappointed to read that the first milestone is at 30 days instead of 24 (matching my largest streak), but if that's what was decided, so be it.
Last Edit: by ylon.

Re: Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!" 22 Dec 2009 05:56 #36660

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Momo, you know you can do it - all the way!
Last Edit: by punkidcg.

Re: Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!" 22 Dec 2009 06:22 #36679

• Holy Yid
  • Current streak: 92 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Keep the mind engaged and the soul content
If there is a 90 day incentive please get me a sponsor. Thanks
if not I am on board for anything else.
זכרני נא, זכרני נא, וחזקני נא אך הפעם הזה, הפעם הזה, האלקים, ואנקמה נקם אחת משתי עיני, מפלשתים
Last Edit: by 123454.

Re: Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!" 22 Dec 2009 11:39 #36752

• kedusha
  • Administrator
Momo wrote on 22 Dec 2009 05:51:

Thank you Silentbattle and Kedusha for your confidence in me and for the sponsorship.
I was a little bit disappointed to read that the first milestone is at 30 days instead of 24 (matching my largest streak), but if that's what was decided, so be it.

You're very welcome, Momo!

There's a certain logic to it.  The first challenge would be for 10 days (from day #20-30).  The second challenge would be twice as long (from day #30-50).  The third and final challenge would again be twice as long (from day #50-90).  The need to get to 20 days before the challenge even begins will demonstrate (to yourself and others) that you really mean business.

I highly suggest that the safeguards you set up be designed to avoid any slipping.  It's much easier to avoid slipping in the first place, than to slip and manage to avoid falling.  See rehab-my-site.com/guardureyes/forum/index.php?topic=1184.0.
Last Edit: 22 Dec 2009 11:44 by user740219.

Re: Super-Incentive: "Match, Double, Ninety!" 22 Dec 2009 11:41 #36755

• imtrying25
  • Current streak: 16 days
  • Platinum Boarder
than to slip and manage to avoid falling.
That should be sip Kedusha, no??
Last Edit: by mike8000.
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes