Welcome, Guest

I'm About to Slip!
(0 viewing) 
This is a board for all the important threads that we don't want to get lost among the others :-)

TOPIC: I'm About to Slip! 30244 Views

Re: I'm About to Slip! 07 Nov 2009 20:35 #27229

• 7yipol
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • YES HE CAN!
Shavua Tov Lamed Vav,

Refuah Sheleima.
Feeling ill is not a good start as guards are down and feeling woozy.
Add medication and ...well...oh oh!

How about a warm cup of choc milk and then sleep?
Hashem is addicted to you! Feel His hugs!"Sheva yipol tzaddik VKUM"
Last Edit: by livewithchesed2626.

Re: I'm About to Slip! 07 Nov 2009 20:59 #27231

yeah , i should really get off the comp.  and go to sleep. too big of a nap today.
i'm getting better at being at the screen without feeling withdrawal , though. doesn't hurt that i have the greatest wife /watchdog there is to help keep me safe from tumah's way.
Last Edit: by Edelman.

Re: I'm About to Slip! 07 Nov 2009 21:31 #27234

Yeah, I've been avoiding shabbos naps ever since the time change.  You're better off staying up through shabbos, learning and spending time with family and friends - then go to bed at a normal hour.

Otherwise, you end up awake and alone at the computer at 2am.............when everyone else is sleeping........

What does everyone else think?  Avoid shabbos naps for the sake of shmirat habrit?
Last Edit: by hwb.

Re: I'm About to Slip! 07 Nov 2009 22:01 #27236

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
Avoid shabbos naps for the sake of shmirat habrit?

We say in Kol Mekadesh... Gam, se'u yedeichem Koidesh uvarchu ve'imru la'kel - baruch Hashem asher nasan menuacha le'amo yisrael...

Menucha is good if you can lift your hands up to G-d in holiness... Otherwise, drop it  

I love these tzadikim!

P.S. And being sick is trouble. We need to be aware of that. See this page.
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: 08 Nov 2009 15:37 by Menachem 1.

Re: I'm About to Slip! 08 Nov 2009 15:26 #27273

• kedusha
  • Current streak: 717 days
  • Administrator
Refuah Sheleimah, Lamed Vav!

On Shabbos afternoon, I try to take a "controlled nap" - i.e., I ask someone to wake me after around an hour (or a bit more).

As for Motzei Shabbos, I'll tell you what I did last night.  First, I went to a Shiur.  Then, I did some paperwork (off the computer).  Then I read "Dear Son," a fantastic Shalom Bayis book for men by Rav Eliyohu Goldschmidt, ZT"L.   I did not go on the computer at all, which I know can interfere with sleep both physically (by reducing melatonin production) and emotionally (by its stimulating content, even if we don't look at anything improper).  Finally, I took a natural supplement to help me fall asleep, and slept from about 12:15-7:15.

Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!
Last Edit: 08 Nov 2009 15:28 by Menachem 1.

Re: I'm About to Slip! 08 Nov 2009 17:59 #27285

• Dov
  • Administrator
Dear 36 -
You may need an airbag for this, my friend....
If you are asking a halocha question, maybe ask a rov.
If you are talking about advise to avoid doing an aveiro, nu, maybe ask a rov, too.
But if you are talking about saving yourself from putting you life into the toilet of insanity again by going down the road of compulsive sexual acting out....hmmm......then I ask you: what in the world does that have to do with "shmiras habrit"?
I can't speak for you, but for me, what you are referring to as shiras habrit has to do with whether I have a chance at having a real conscience, at being a father to my children, a husband to my wife, a sane yid (an insane yid doing mitzvos? is a shoteh even yotzei, i wonder?), and in my particular case, staying alive at all.
To me, this is not at all like avodah zora, which chazal tell us is like breaking the entire Torah. It is much, much worse than that: It is giving up my entire tzurah of a mentch and accepting insanity into my life. And insanity of this disease, for me, is "memaleh kol almin and sovev kol almin" - it fills, poisons and perverts my entire life (and the life of those around me). At its root, sobriety and the program is not there to create holy yidden out of us. It is to create useful mentchen. From there, I can become a yid, if I want. But w/o it, I have no choice and remain basically a mess.
At least that is the way it is for me and others. I'm not alone in the feeling that to act out is to die. I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons! 
I do not mean to be abrasive, but as i am starting to get older, the crotchetiness of old age is coming out, I guess.
I still love you 36!
Oh, and refuah sheleima!
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."
Last Edit: by chesedprincess.

Re: I'm About to Slip! 08 Nov 2009 18:57 #27300

• the.guard
Reb Dov, I just added a new saying at the bottom of your signature!!
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by User770.

Re: I'm About to Slip! 09 Nov 2009 08:30 #27341

• 7yipol
  • Platinum Boarder
  • YES HE CAN!
dov wrote on 08 Nov 2009 17:59:

I'm not alone in the feeling that to act out is to die. I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons! 

;D ;D ;D

I do not mean to be abrasive, but as i am starting to get older, the crotchetiness of old age is coming out, I guess.
I still love you 36!
Oh, and refuah sheleima!

I also still love 36. What a wonderful year that was!
**Sigh**
Last Edit: by פארשטענדליך.

Re: I'm About to Slip! 09 Nov 2009 10:39 #27345

• the.guard

Besides for that nut on the radio who wouldn't stop yelling and ranting how the Jews are the world's misfortune! Something about him gave me the chills.
Last Edit: by tzvi100.

Re: I'm About to Slip! 09 Nov 2009 11:07 #27348

• 7yipol
  • Platinum Boarder
  • YES HE CAN!
guardureyes wrote on 09 Nov 2009 10:39:

Besides for that nut on the radio who wouldn't stop yelling and ranting how the Jews are the world's misfortune! Something about him gave me the chills.

Spoken like a youngster. :
Sigh
No no Guard, not the calendar year '36
The age 36!
Isnt there anyone on this forum old enough to remember shoes with laces instead of velcro?? :o

Whipper-snappers one and all!
Last Edit: by FellowJew.

Re: I'm About to Slip! 09 Nov 2009 21:26 #27434

dov wrote on 08 Nov 2009 17:59:

Dear 36 -
You may need an airbag for this, my friend....
If you are asking a halocha question, maybe ask a rov.
If you are talking about advise to avoid doing an aveiro, nu, maybe ask a rov, too.
But if you are talking about saving yourself from putting you life into the toilet of insanity again by going down the road of compulsive sexual acting out....hmmm......then I ask you: what in the world does that have to do with "shmiras habrit"?
I can't speak for you, but for me, what you are referring to as shiras habrit has to do with whether I have a chance at having a real conscience, at being a father to my children, a husband to my wife, a sane yid (an insane yid doing mitzvos? is a shoteh even yotzei, i wonder?), and in my particular case, staying alive at all.
To me, this is not at all like avodah zora, which chazal tell us is like breaking the entire Torah. It is much, much worse than that: It is giving up my entire tzurah of a mentch and accepting insanity into my life. And insanity of this disease, for me, is "memaleh kol almin and sovev kol almin" - it fills, poisons and perverts my entire life (and the life of those around me). At its root, sobriety and the program is not there to create holy yidden out of us. It is to create useful mentchen. From there, I can become a yid, if I want. But w/o it, I have no choice and remain basically a mess.
At least that is the way it is for me and others. I'm not alone in the feeling that to act out is to die. I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons!  
I still love you 36!
Oh, and refuah sheleima!

i agree w/ every thing you said,  btw. the shmirat habrit thing wasnt me it was another yid.
Last Edit: 09 Nov 2009 22:26 by cam.

Re: I'm About to Slip! 10 Nov 2009 23:25 #27586

• Dov
  • Administrator
Sorry, amigo.
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."
Last Edit: by cleanboi.

Re: I'm About to Slip! 13 Nov 2009 08:12 #28137

no worries.
Last Edit: by Hay.

Re: I'm About to Slip! 13 Nov 2009 08:20 #28138

had a close call last nite. almost lost  it. the only thing i can think of is i had a tea at nite . no caffiene after a certain time . it sets you up to be alone and awake at nite w/ yourself . not a good combo. BH' i made it out alive . but i am just still very weak.  i know most of what i tell myself is big talk and inside i'm not changing very fast , but i have to be patientw/ myself . my most important thing 4 me now is staying safe until i am internallystronger . until i build up the inside . and then i won't have to hide so much.  . i told my wife again that i want the comp.  out of the house . she doesn't like it . i think  the whole thing 4 me is one big trigger. but then so is everything else. :-\ :-\ : :
Last Edit: by kindermom.

Re: I'm About to Slip! 15 Nov 2009 08:41 #28398

• Momo
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I haven't worked yet, and I've been at work for almost 3 hours. Surfing news and sports, no women.
Feeling very antsy. Could get to women later during the day.
I fall almost every Sunday.
I don't know if I've already killed my chance of going back to Shlachter (I guess I'll call him later and ask), but falling will be the final nail in our coffin.
I'm walking the tightrope...
Need to get to sturdy ground...
Last Edit: by jewishgirl613.
Time to create page: 0.71 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes