Welcome, Guest

Plea to Old Timers!
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Plea to Old Timers! 766 Views

Plea to Old Timers! 12 Mar 2021 04:29 #365286

• lou
  • Platinum Boarder
Hello, I am setting up this thread for Old timers to come in and just tell us that yes they are still clean.
I feel like we only hear from old timers when they run into trouble. This is totally understandable. I get it. People move on from here,and only come back if and when they need the Chizuk. However,it is getting a little bit disillusioning to see many posts that start off with "I have been clean 1_ _  or 2_ _days and now I have fallen etc etc. Of course, I know there will be slips and falls along the way and it is great to come here when you have one. However, I would love to get Chizuk from someone saying "I was here years ago and BH despite a slip and fall or 2 I have been clean for x amount of years etc" .
Please come in and brag!! We need to hear that it really works long term!
Thank you so much
Last Edit: 12 Mar 2021 04:29 by lou.

Re: Plea to Old Timers! 12 Mar 2021 07:51 #365294

• Rebuild613
  • Gold Boarder
Deleted
Demolished is my real name
Fool is my middle name
Last Edit: 01 Apr 2021 12:43 by Rebuild613. Reason: I'm gone

Re: Plea to Old Timers! 12 Mar 2021 14:26 #365301

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
Rebuild613 wrote on 12 Mar 2021 07:51:
I'm not and old timer but i am clean for more than 2 years, 
I am replying because you are absolutely right, you bring out the point very well. 

Thank you!
Can you please share what worked and didn't work for and what you would suggest for others? 
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: Plea to Old Timers! 12 Mar 2021 17:37 #365307

• lou
  • Platinum Boarder
Rebuild613 wrote on 12 Mar 2021 07:51:
I'm not and old timer but i am clean for more than 2 years, 
I am replying because you are absolutely right, you bring out the point very well. 

Thank you for sharing!
To clarify,when I say old timer I don't mean you have to be 97 and have been on here for 10 years. Just anyone that has some time under their belt.
Thanks!

Re: Plea to Old Timers! 12 Mar 2021 17:52 #365309

• hakolhevel
  • Current streak: 42 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Ive been here since Nov 2016.

Am I currently past 90 days? No
Do I have longer streaks of being clean? Yes
More importantly, am I a better person, has my marriage, life, judaism, thoughts, perspective been changed for the better? 100 percent
My Thread:The Road To Being Honest With Myself (and others:)

My other Thread: My Daily Inspiration

I'm not a slow learner, I'm just quick to forget" - Eli Nash

A bit of honesty and less over confidence might help me - Imperfection

Re: Plea to Old Timers! 12 Mar 2021 21:06 #365313

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
My Register Date: 16 Dec 2009
do I qualify for the old-timer status?

am I a better person, has my marriage, life, judaism, thoughts, perspective been changed for the better thanks to GYE?
100000000000000000%
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: Plea to Old Timers! 14 Mar 2021 01:30 #365327

• eyes
  • Current streak: 137 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hakolhevel wrote on 12 Mar 2021 17:52:
Ive been here since Nov 2016.

Am I currently past 90 days? No
Do I have longer streaks of being clean? Yes
More importantly, am I a better person, has my marriage, life, judaism, thoughts, perspective been changed for the better? 100 percent

OK PLEASE SHARE

Re: Plea to Old Timers! 14 Mar 2021 01:36 #365329

• eyes
  • Current streak: 137 days
  • Platinum Boarder
My registar date was in the summer of 2016.
I had ups and downs 
BH do I see results of being clean? Yes. Have I stumbled? Yes
Is my marriage happier? BH also yes. I would like to explain why. When my wife feels that there is lust in the picture she turns off, she will cry and say its all about you. But when she sees I am being careful, she just can't get enough out of me.
As I had posted on an earlier post. BH 10 months to the day that I gave up my smartphone, we had our first son BH.
Overall if you call me an oldy. 
Its worth it.
You may ask, how do you do it?
Stay connected here. If you are scared reach out, don't wait to fall. Stay strong, know your weaknesses. Plan ahead, know 

Re: Plea to Old Timers! 14 Mar 2021 02:30 #365335

• lionking
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm not sure if I qualify for the Old Timer status, and I'm not here to tell you that yes I'm still clean. Unfortunately that is not the case.

I'm here to tell you one thing. B"H my life has improved a 1000 times since I joined. I've learned tons from the guys here about how to have a proper prospective on life, and how to surrender to Hashems will. 
I'm still a huge work in progress.
My email address is: growinghigher613@gmail.com

Re: Plea to Old Timers! 14 Mar 2021 13:40 #365348

• Rebuild613
  • Gold Boarder
Deleted
Demolished is my real name
Fool is my middle name
Last Edit: 01 Apr 2021 12:44 by Rebuild613. Reason: I'm gone

Re: Plea to Old Timers! 14 Mar 2021 16:59 #365362

• yeshivaguy
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Rebuild613 wrote on 14 Mar 2021 13:40:
I know it's therapeutic to spell out everything, but I'm not ready for it it's too painful, even though i started to write my story on another post, after going into detail i started to cry bitterly even though i could/did not cry in decades.I will share about the last 2 years,  i relized that if i have access to unfiltered devices there is no way i will remain clean, it was after business hours when i made that decision that means there is another 12 to 18 hours until i will get to a Tag office to install a filter, that means there is more than enough time to fall back in the mud, so i took my phone and threw it in the first sewer i found on the street, i felt that it's my responsibility to do anything and everything that it should not be in my possession for another moment, (i remember then having a conversation with the Almighty and told him: i did everything which was in my capabilities to get rid of it so you better assist me in this struggle) the next day i baught a new phone and on the spot installed a filter.I still have temptations, i am trying my best to hold on tight.
הצילני מטיט ואל אטבעה, אנצלה משנאי וממעמקי מים.  אל תשטפני שבלת מים ואל תבלעני מצולה; ואל תאטר עלי באר פיה.  (תהילים סט ט"ו)
Translation from ArtScroll: Rescue me from the mire so that i will not sink; let me be rescued from my enemies and from the deep waters. Let me not be swept away by the rushing current of water, nor let swallow me the shadowy depths; and do not let close over me the pit it's mouth.

I love this guy, such a tzadik!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes