Read once, then minimize to save screen space.

Forum Overview

Post on the forum to get support, tell your story and reach out for help when feeling weak!

You will never be alone in this struggle again.

The GYE forum is anonymous platform of group support, and a life-line of chizuk for hundreds of people in exactly your situation. 

To use the forum you need to first become a member of the site, sign up here.

After signing up to the site, go to the forum, enter one of our boards and press "New Topic" to begin posting! 

Welcome, Guest

eitzos for emunah and bitachon
(0 viewing) 
A Board for Yidden who are not as addicted, and for whom Torah/Chizuk/Chassidus can still help them stop.

TOPIC: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 3449 Views

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 04 Dec 2019 20:32 #345744

• DavidT
  • Current streak: 100 days
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
The pasuk says in Mishleh, “מוסר ה' בני אל תמאס,” and Rashi there explains, if a person is experiencing yissurin, whether emotional or physical pain, he should embrace it with love. Why? The next pasuk says, “כי את אשר יאהב ה' יוכיח – the ones who Hashem loves are the ones who He chastises –“וכאב את בן ירצה – like a father who loves his son and wants the best for him.” After the chastising comes sweetness and soothing. The rebuke is just to get him back on the right path.

When a person is going through a difficult time, he might feel that Hashem is abandoning him, but in actuality it is just the opposite. At that time, Hashem is closest to him. He’s personally dealing with him for his own good. Rabbi Mugrabi quoted from Rabbi Yitzchak Blazer a mashal to explain. Imagine a person was walking down the street and saw a drunkard acting foolishly and making a mockery of himself. Most probably, the person will just continue walking. If the person who he saw that was drunk was a fellow Jew, he’d feel very bad for him and then he’d continue walking. If the person lived on his block, he’d feel so much pity for him. If it was his good friend, he’d even do whatever he could at the time to help him. But what if that person was his son? He would go over to him and drag him by force and if his son would resist, he’d be tougher. He’d bring him home and shake him up. He’d be so much harsher with him than anybody else. Why? Because it is his child and he loves his child more than anything. He won’t allow himself to hold back from putting him on the proper path. He might have to use force, he’ll make him stay home, he’ll give him consequences for his actions, but it’s all because he loves him so much. This is how Hashem acts towards the ones that He loves. Sometimes people need to be chastised for their own good. It’s their Father’s love, doing what is necessary so that His precious child becomes an upstanding and righteous person who everybody will be proud of.

If a person is feeling that his situation is so difficult to deal with and wants to ask, “Why is this happening to me?” He could easily answer that question by thinking, It’s because Hashem loves me so much, that’s why. He didn’t abandon me, He cares about me and He’s actively involved in bringing me where I need to be for my own good. 

This is also why, sometimes, when we accept upon ourselves to become better, we receive salvation for the problems we’re having. We took the initiative to improve on our own, to straighten ourselves out, and therefore the problems are no longer necessary. Of course we could never know the exact reason of why anything happens. Sometimes it’s just a kapara; sometimes it is to awaken us; sometimes it’s to save us from something much worse. We don’t know, but we do know every bit of yissurin is given to us by Hashem because He loves us so much, because we are His precious children and He wants us to be happy for all eternity. If we could have the proper attitude during the yissurin, we’ll gain the full benefit of their purpose. We’ll be calmer and happier and we’ll remain close to Hashem.
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 05 Dec 2019 11:48 #345757

• bego
  • Current streak: 542 days
  • Expert Boarder
higher wrote on 01 Nov 2019 17:02:

bego wrote on 25 Oct 2019 10:36:
I would suggest going back to the rishonim and seeing what they have to say. 

I would also suggest that feelings can be notoriously fickle. Feeling close to hashem might be as fake as a joint... 

i would like to comment on this, even though it was posted a while back.
it is def. a good idea, and perhaps even a must, to be solidly based in terms of sources on the rishonim and lmaalah bakodesh, chazal.
that being said the actual mussar and hisorerus should come from a place that the person finds both relevant and that speaks his language to be nispael from.    
there is much more to say on this topic and i will bl''n elaborate upon request.

Thanks for bringing this back up.

I had an ulterior motive for mentioning this - the majority of Rishonim that i have learnt are of the opinion that only taddikim have full blown 24/7 hashgocho protis. The rest of us might have differing levels and Hashem might intercede on occasions. I wouldn't normally bring a mussar sefer to prove this, but I will here as I know that nowadays people need to see things from a "Rabbi" to believe it - see rav Dessler in cheilek Beis on RH where he quotes the seforno. Then look up the seforno inside for good measure. I know chassidus disagrees. That's cool. But it has taken over! 

To me, a pat on the back (as mentioned in a separate post) is nice, but it isn't Hashem. That doesn't mean i don't recognise that there are some weird things I can't explain, but then again, goyim have that too. 

Please don't swamp me with mussar seforim that argue with this, I am aware of them. And PLEASE don't quote me heintegge English books that are for the masses to make them feel good. 

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 05 Dec 2019 11:49 #345758

• bego
  • Expert Boarder
sleepy wrote on 25 Oct 2019 14:30:

I would also suggest that feelings can be notoriously fickle. Feeling close to hashem might be as fake as a joint... 

cant agree , i never smoked one

Then you also can't disagree (which you didn't).

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 05 Dec 2019 17:15 #345761

• sleepy
  • Current streak: 861 days
  • Banned
bego wrote on 05 Dec 2019 11:48:

it is def. a good idea, and perhaps even a must, to be solidly based in terms of sources on the rishonim and lmaalah bakodesh, chazal.
that being said the actual mussar and hisorerus should come from a place that the person finds both relevant and that speaks his language to be nispael from.    
there is much more to say on this topic and i will bl''n elaborate upon request.

I had an ulterior motive for mentioning this - the majority of Rishonim that i have learnt are of the opinion that only taddikim have full blown 24/7 hashgocho protis. The rest of us might have differing levels and Hashem might intercede on occasions. I wouldn't normally bring a mussar sefer to prove this, but I will here as I know that nowadays people need to see things from a "Rabbi" to believe it - see rav Dessler in cheilek Beis on RH where he quotes the seforno. Then look up the seforno inside for good measure. I know chassidus disagrees. That's cool. But it has taken over! 

To me, a pat on the back (as mentioned in a separate post) is nice, but it isn't Hashem. That doesn't mean i don't recognise that there are some weird things I can't explain, but then again, goyim have that too. 

Please don't swamp me with mussar seforim that argue with this, I am aware of them. And PLEASE don't quote me heintegge English books that are for the masses to make them feel good. 

i dont know if i agree to what you said since i lack clarity on what you are trying to say ,looking foward to a expanded version like" bego for dummies(sleepy) "Hatzlacha!
For an explanation on my choice of username and avatar see my first post
Feel free to email me at
wakesleepyup@mail.com

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 05 Dec 2019 17:26 #345762

• DavidT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
We love to see the Yad Hashem in our lives helping us in our time of need. It is so important to internalize that Hashem can always help us. He might choose not to sometimes, because that’s for our best. But either way, He is the One in total control. Feeling this way will help us in our decision making process.
It will help us act with dignity, and it will help us to never second guess ourselves. When in a dilemma, the baal emunah chooses what he feels would be the will of Hashem, and he is confident that the best outcome will come about. The hope that he has because Hashem is available to help him will keep him upbeat and positive.
No matter what the results will be, he’s always happy that he acted in accordance with the will of Hashem.
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 05 Dec 2019 17:40 #345764

• sleepy
  • Current streak: 861 days
  • Banned
DavidT wrote on 05 Dec 2019 17:26:
We love to see the Yad Hashem in our lives helping us in our time of need. It is so important to internalize that Hashem can always help us. He might choose not to sometimes, because that’s for our best. But either way, He is the One in total control. Feeling this way will help us in our decision making process.
It will help us act with dignity, and it will help us to never second guess ourselves. When in a dilemma, the baal emunah chooses what he feels would be the will of Hashem, and he is confident that the best outcome will come about. The hope that he has because Hashem is available to help him will keep him upbeat and positive.
No matter what the results will be, he’s always happy that he acted in accordance with the will of Hashem.

what an upbeat and positive post DavidT!thanks for the chizuk, may Hashem give  you  a great day!
For an explanation on my choice of username and avatar see my first post
Feel free to email me at
wakesleepyup@mail.com

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 06 Dec 2019 02:02 #345793

• Tzvi5
  • Current streak: 1261 days
  • Senior Boarder

The medrash tehillim quotes a pasuk leolam hashem divarcha neetzov bashamayim that the maamar yehi rakia is in the heavens giving it existence every moment the Baal ahem tov explains that the world is constantly being created by hashem anew and if hashem's word didn't essay yehi... the world would cease to exist. The Alter rabbi explains in Tanya shaar hayichud vehaemuna that every individual creation hashem is recreating through "speech" every moment. I think this is the definition of hashgacha pratis

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 06 Dec 2019 10:16 #345800

• bego
  • Expert Boarder
Tzvi5 wrote on 06 Dec 2019 02:02:

The medrash tehillim quotes a pasuk leolam hashem divarcha neetzov bashamayim that the maamar yehi rakia is in the heavens giving it existence every moment the Baal ahem tov explains that the world is constantly being created by hashem anew and if hashem's word didn't essay yehi... the world would cease to exist. The Alter rabbi explains in Tanya shaar hayichud vehaemuna that every individual creation hashem is recreating through "speech" every moment. I think this is the definition of hashgacha pratis

Thanks - the Nefesh hachaim says something very similar. i was davka avoiding this. 

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 08 Dec 2019 05:04 #345825

• Iampowerless
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Gold Boarder
HHi chevrah,

for me the one thing that has greatly improved my emuna and bitachon is working the 12 steps in a live group. "Learning to let go and trust hashem" and bringing hashem constantly into my life because "i can't but he could" has made me feel very connected with the ribono shel olam.

As my Rabbi a very well known rosh yeshiva told me when i discussed going to live 12 step meetings with him. "Yaakov the 12 steps are really just mega doses of emunah and bitachon" and when done in a meeting with other people who "have let go" and have seen that hashem manages their life way better than they did it's the perfect way for this message to properly stick.......

Guys unfortunately I see that within the GYE community there are a lot of people that have a lot of negative association as well as some interesting psakim from rabbanim who it seems don't really understand what the 12 steps are about. It's time we as a community accept the beuty and power of the 12 steps all it really is, is a chaburah of people injecting themeselves with mega doses of emunah and bitachon.

Love Yankel  
Important quote from Cordnoy
"The need is a perceived one. There has not been one reported case on these pages of a death occurrin' on account of not fulfillin' that need

“I avoid looking forward or backward, and try to keep looking upward.” 

"My recovery must come first so that everything I love in life doesn’t have to come last."

My Story

Yankel's Daily Inspirational Quotes

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 08 Dec 2019 15:39 #345839

• DavidT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
Rachel Imenu was not capable of having a child. But because she was willing to give up her potential husband Yaakov to her sister Leah, to save her from embarrassment, Hashem changed nature and gave her a womb to have a child.  But even then, after Rachel did that special deed, she still needed tefillah to complete the salvation. As the pasuk says, “וישמע אליה אלוקים.” 

When Leah was expecting her seventh child, she felt bad for her sister Rachel.  If that child was to be a boy, it would mean Rachel would have less of the shevatim than the maidservants. So Leah prayed that the child should be a girl.  And the Gemara says her prayers changed nature, because that child was supposed to be a boy, and Hashem switched it. 

We never lose hope in any situation we’re in, because we always have a way to be helped. 

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 09 Dec 2019 17:23 #345864

• DavidT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
Chazal guarantee us, “הבא ליטהר מיסעיין בידו  - Whoever wants to purify himself will be given help from Hashem.” 

Anyone who has a desire to become closer to Hashem and takes steps to do it, will be given the same help.  Hashem has infinite ways of helping people, no matter how distant they are from religion and no matter how distant they are from a religious environment.

Whoever wants to come closer to Hashem just needs a desire and then an effort.  Then Hashem will come and help him the rest of the way.  

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 10 Dec 2019 17:50 #345878

• DavidT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
There are people who are experiencing hardships in many different areas.  And despite their heartfelt tefillot, they aren't seeing improvement in any of them. They cry and pour out their hearts to Hashem, but they don’t see any response.  They see others around them living normal lives and wonder why theirs is so hard.  After having so much heartache and pain, some even begin to question Hashem’s mercy.  
Deep down they have an inclination to second guess what they have learned about Hashem.  They are thinking to themselves, how could you tell me Hashem is my loving father when he is putting me through all this pain?  I love my children. I would never do this to them.  I’m begging Him for just a little help and nothing is changing. Why is He doing this to me?

From the surface level those claims sound valid. But in truth, Hashem is more loving and merciful than anybody is capable of fathoming.  One of the praises we give Hashem in the amidah is that He is a גיבור-mighty. And Chazal teach us that a gibor is one who is able to refrain from giving into a desire.  How does that apply to Hashem? The Chatam Sofer explains: Hashem’s greatest desire is to give us good in a way that we can see the good openly, so we can truly feel His mercy and love. Sometimes Hashem has to hold back, kavyachol, from giving into our requests, from giving us that revealed good. Because, in essence, what we are asking for is not good for us.

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 11 Dec 2019 17:21 #345901

• DavidT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
Forgiving people by overcoming our natural instincts, recognizing that it came from Hashem, is very powerful.  If we could learn to be more sensitive to others, and if we are ever insulted, to forgive, we can rise to great heights, and we will make Hashem very proud.

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 12 Dec 2019 15:32 #345922

• DavidT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
PRAYER OF POWERLESSNESS 

Creator of the universe, we know, 
That here we are in your hands alone
Like as clay in the potter's hand,
And if we would try to use all tips and tricks
And all human resources of this world would stand up
To save us and assist our souls
 But without Your glorious mighty splendor and Your assistance
 So there is no help and no salvation
רבון העולמים ידעתי 
כי הנני בידך לבד
כחומר ביד היוצר
ואם גם אתאמץ
בעצות ותחבולות
וכל יושבי תבל יעמדו למיני
להושיעני ולסמוך נפשי
מבלעדי עוזך ועזרתך
אין עזרה וישועה
--------------------------------------------------

הן נכתבו בהקדמה לספרו של הרב מאפטא "אור לשמים
 התפארת שלמה נהגו לאומרה בכל יום כסגולה לפרנסה

Last Edit: 12 Dec 2019 15:32 by DavidT.

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 13 Dec 2019 15:27 #345930

• DavidT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
Here is some chizuk.
Hashem showed us this week that he is watching us and doing miracles. A Jewish school in Jersey City full of kids was targeted this week by 2 thugs with enough ammunition to kill them all CV.
They confused the address of the school and went into the next door store where they were trapped by a cop that was "coincidentally (really??)" walking by... There are many more details of people that were saved by open miracles there which can be verified by videos. (I saw a video of a Jewish boy that was almost going to enter the store when the 2 thugs came charging to the store and the boy runs away... ) 
Of course the lives that were takes away is a tragedy for all of us, but we need to wake up and see how Hashem loves us and keeps on reminding us that we are still in Galus and need to wake up, become closer to him and very soon he will redeem us all, AMEIN!
Time to create page: 0.67 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes