Read once, then minimize to save screen space.

Forum Overview

Post on the forum to get support, tell your story and reach out for help when feeling weak!

You will never be alone in this struggle again.

The GYE forum is anonymous platform of group support, and a life-line of chizuk for hundreds of people in exactly your situation. 

To use the forum you need to first become a member of the site, sign up here.

After signing up to the site, go to the forum, enter one of our boards and press "New Topic" to begin posting! 

Welcome, Guest

filter.. or maybe not
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: filter.. or maybe not 1585 Views

Re: filter.. or maybe not 10 Sep 2019 22:50 #343493

• stillgoing
  • Current streak: 25 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "LIFE IS ONLY HARD FOR THE FIRST 120 YEARS!"
Gevura Shebyesod wrote on 08 Sep 2019 19:17:
I got my drivers license, so now I don’t need the guardrail at the edge of the cliff...

"INASTRUGGLE" post=343434 date=1567970248 catid=4
I am considering removing the railing by my staircase. It should be my responsibility not to walk too close to the edge of the stairs, and I can always jump over the railing anyways if I really want to. Just sayin .

my $.02.

BIG SHOT!
Free Choice?!
Yirai's Memories
STORY TIME :)

Dr. Seuss - You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go.

FSKOT! (Fell Shmell--Keep on Trucking) (The Rebba R' Bards)

Re: filter.. or maybe not 11 Sep 2019 10:38 #343505

• jack123
  • Current streak: 27 days
  • Fresh Boarder
20 days and going strong
I read somewhere that you should keep telling yourself 'im sober' as opposed to saying 'don't do this and this'.  the hesber is [im thinking], that if you think yourself a bad guy however much you fight with it eventually you gonna rationalize that youre anyway bad so you should do it. but if you think your good than you wont let yourself do it. bottom line is your not gonna change who you are bc of this stuff, so if your good it wont change you bad and vise versa.
let me know what yall think

Re: filter.. or maybe not 11 Sep 2019 11:28 #343506

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 1036 days
  • Platinum Boarder
That is why it is so important not to beat yourself up for having urges. Urges are normal and even big tzaddikim have them. The yetzer hara comes along and says "You are a lowlife loser anyway - look at the thoughts and desires you have - just act out - why not? it's all the same." As you write, when someone thinks of himself positively - "I am a heilige yid!" and accepts himself as imperfect and that Hashem made all of us with desires, triggers, etc, and commanded us not to act on them, and those urges do not define me, then iyh it is so much easier to tell that yeyzer hara to go jump in the lake - "guys like me don't do such things".
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: filter.. or maybe not 11 Sep 2019 13:08 #343508

• sleepy
  • Gold Boarder
i agree to Hhm,you have to have a positive self image about yourself in these matters,im reminded about a Chasidishe Rebbe who was about to Daven and the yetzer hara whispered in his ear ."oh ,look whos Davening like a big tzadik, dont you remember what you did earlier,and you know that youll probably do it again later!"Answered the Rebbe,"i know what i may have done earlier,and what i may do later , but yetzer hara!leave me alone!! now im Davening!!
the mishna says (not exact quote ,i think )"Al tirsha harbe"dont be a big rasha!so they ask, a BIG rasha not, but a small rasha yes?!and they answer,dont make yourself into a bigger rasha than you are,meaning,ok a person falls into cheit,not good,but that should not weaken his Davening,Learning Torah, Mitzvos,Simchas Hachaim,hes still a Yid, hes still a member of the  Am Hanivchar!
when the Vilna Goan ztl was in prison on false charges, he saw one of the guards who was a Yid who converted about to take a drink, so The Goan said,"make a Beracha." answered the Yid ,"Ha! i desecrate the whole Torah, and your telling me to make a Beracha?:snort:!" Said the Goan, "whoa! Chazal say about a certain rasha that he is going to have to give an accounting in Heaven for a small sin, YOU are going to have to give an accounting o n   t h e   e n t i r e    T o r a h!!(the yid broke down and did teshuva)
the point that im trying to make to you(and myself)in the above is, that it does not matter what was done, the yetzer has NO RIGHT to tell us ,your a loser , youve done it so many times.
the question is , is this what you were asking...
For an explanation on my choice of username and avatar see my first post
Last Edit: 11 Sep 2019 16:14 by sleepy.

Re: filter.. or maybe not 11 Sep 2019 15:18 #343513

• Gevura Shebyesod
  • Current streak: 2222 days
  • Platinum Boarder
sleepy wrote on 11 Sep 2019 13:08:
i agree to Hhm,you have to have a positive self image about yourself in these matters,im reminded about a Chasidishe Rebbe who was about to Daven and the yetzer hara whispered in his ear ."oh ,look whos Davening like a big tzadik, dont you remember what you did earlier,and you know that youll probably do it again later!"Answered the Rebbe,"i know what i may have done earlier,and what i may do later , but yetzer hara!leave me alone!! now im Davening!!
the mishna says (not exact quote ,i think )"Al tirsha harbe"dont be a big rasha!so they ask, a BIG rasha not, but a small rasha yes?!and they answer,dont make yourself into a bigger rasha than you are,meaning,ok a person falls into cheit,not good,but that should not weaken his Davening,Learning Torah, Mitzvos,Simchas Hachaim,hes still a Yid, hes still a member of the  Am Hanivchar!
when the Vilna Goan ztl was in prison on false charges, he saw one of the guards who was a Yid who converted about to take a drink, so The Goan said,"make a Beracha." answered the Yid ,"Ha! i desecrate the whole Torah, and your telling me to make a Beracha?:snort:!" Said the Goan, "whoa! Chazal say about a certain rasha that he is going to have to give an accounting in Heaven for a small sin, YOU are going to have to give an accounting o n   t h e   e n t i r e    T o r a h!!(the yid broke down and did teshuva)
the point that im trying to make to you(and myself)is the above not matter what was done the yetzer has NO RIGHT to tell us ,your a loser , youve done it so many times.

It's actually a Posuk In Koheles 7:17
אל־תרשע הרבה ואל־תהי סכל למה תמות בלא עתך:
See Rashi and other meforshim there.

The previous Posuk can perhaps be understood along similar lines:
אל־תהי צדיק הרבה
Don't think that you're such a big Tzaddik that you can let your guard down.
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

And every day that you want to waste, that you want to waste, you can
And every day that you want to wake up, that you want to wake, you can
And every day that you want to change, that you want to change, yeah
I'll help you see it through...

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: filter.. or maybe not 11 Sep 2019 16:03 #343518

• sleepy
  • Gold Boarder
Gevura Shebyesod wrote on 11 Sep 2019 15:18:

the point that im trying to make to you(and myself)is the above not matter what was done the yetzer has NO RIGHT to tell us ,your a loser , youve done it so many times.

אל־תהי צדיק הרבה

or your guardrail down 

Re: filter.. or maybe not 11 Sep 2019 16:07 #343519

• sleepy
  • Gold Boarder
sleepy wrote on 11 Sep 2019 16:03:

Gevura Shebyesod wrote on 11 Sep 2019 15:18:

אל־תהי צדיק הרבה

guard ,did i let you down?

Re: filter.. or maybe not 11 Sep 2019 19:12 #343521

• jack123
  • Fresh Boarder
sleepy, whats with all the metaphors?

Re: filter.. or maybe not 11 Sep 2019 20:25 #343522

• sleepy
  • Gold Boarder
just a little humor , sorry.
Last Edit: 11 Sep 2019 20:28 by sleepy.

Re: filter.. or maybe not 12 Sep 2019 04:57 #343532

• jack123
  • Fresh Boarder
sleepy wrote on 11 Sep 2019 20:25:

since when dyou need to be sorry for being humorous?!
anyway I hit 3 whole full complete weeks clean, beh many more to come

Re: filter.. or maybe not 12 Sep 2019 05:14 #343533

• Markz
  • Current streak: 87 days
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Jack, stick with us. 

Keep climbing the beanstalk, and I pray you don’t fall. 

I heard Gevura found a whole a pot of black j-beans, maybe you guys can open a private kiddush club up there. 

My Story---------Dov Quotes

What works for me:
ForumInternet Restrictions

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: filter.. or maybe not 12 Sep 2019 10:35 #343534

• jack123
  • Fresh Boarder
now that was a good pun/metaphor! 
its funny that my most real friends who want you to succeed, are the ones ill never know... 

Re: filter.. or maybe not 12 Sep 2019 11:37 #343535

• stillgoing
  • Current streak: 25 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "LIFE IS ONLY HARD FOR THE FIRST 120 YEARS!"
jack123 wrote on 12 Sep 2019 10:35:
now that was a good pun/metaphor! 
its funny that my most real friends who want you to succeed, are the ones ill never know... 

Or maybe you already know....
BIG SHOT!
Free Choice?!
Yirai's Memories
STORY TIME :)

Dr. Seuss - You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go.

FSKOT! (Fell Shmell--Keep on Trucking) (The Rebba R' Bards)

Re: filter.. or maybe not 12 Sep 2019 14:11 #343537

• sleepy
  • Gold Boarder
sg, jack 123, might have been scared by that post,it really depends in what nigun it was read. 
Last Edit: 12 Sep 2019 14:24 by sleepy.

Re: filter.. or maybe not 12 Sep 2019 14:12 #343538

• sleepy
  • Gold Boarder
jack123 wrote on 12 Sep 2019 04:57:

sleepy wrote on 11 Sep 2019 20:25:

since when dyou need to be sorry for being humorous?!
anyway I hit 3 whole full complete weeks clean, beh many more to come

good for you,and keep it up!
Time to create page: 0.63 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes