Read once, then minimize to save screen space.

Forum Overview

Post on the forum to get support, tell your story and reach out for help when feeling weak!

You will never be alone in this struggle again.

The GYE forum is anonymous platform of group support, and a life-line of chizuk for hundreds of people in exactly your situation. 

To use the forum you need to first become a member of the site, sign up here.

After signing up to the site, go to the forum, enter one of our boards and press "New Topic" to begin posting! 

Welcome, Guest

TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful)
(0 viewing) 
This is a board for all the important threads that we don't want to get lost among the others :-)
  • Page:

TOPIC: TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) 418 Views

TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) 25 Nov 2019 22:59 #345393

• sleepy
  • Current streak: 778 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hello. since the thank or not thank discussion was overcrowding the big o dilemma,a suggestion was given to me by one of the level headed posters to start a new thread on the issue .
The real name to the thread was supposed to be 
"TO BE (grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) ,
THAT IS THE QUESTION I ASK OF THEE"
but it was too many words.So Hatzlacha!
For an explanation on my choice of username and avatar see my first post

Re: TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) 26 Nov 2019 07:05 #345410

• sleepy
  • Platinum Boarder
could it be that people are afraid to thank, they will  be oustrisized(wheres google spell check when you need him/her /it?)WHAT?! you thanked that fanatic?!ok .um im working on not chatting with so many people , please dont be insulted if you are removed from  the gye  elitist group chat...no nothing personal :tsk tsk:

Re: TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) 28 Nov 2019 14:26 #345555

• Hakolhevel
  • Current streak: 15 days
  • Gold Boarder
I think we have different ideas what the purpose of the thank you button is for.

When I talk to people, I can understand if they appreciate what I am saying by looking at their facial features. Are they nodding off, spacing out or getting angry.

In a virtual forum you don't have that, the best you have is the thank you button. 

I write in the forum sometimes just for myself, but other times it's too facilitate conservation, it to share with others something I think I think is valuable.

The thank you's let me know how people are taking what im saying. And consequenly allows me to think, why don't people like this? Am i posting to often? Am i coming across to sharp? Do I sound like a know it all?

I don't agree with every post, it may just be a good counter argument or opinion to what I said, but it was valuable nonetheless.

People here do thank posts they disagree with, but there are many factors that will cause a post to be or not to be thanked as I explained above.

When someone writes something amazing/special then I up their karma (and Visa versa)

To me too put thank you on every post is a waste of everyone's time. They might as well make it that when you read something it automatically gives them a thank you.

Regarding newcomers to the sight I think it's a little different. When they first come on we need to give them alot of attention so they know we are listening and we are there for them. 

This is just my understanding. If you look at it differently, please share your general approach.

P.s one thing I dont like, is when people use the forum as a chatroom with multiple posts one after the other, that's just my preference, so I don't give those a thank you either

Re: TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) 28 Nov 2019 15:28 #345561

• sleepy
  • Platinum Boarder
Hakolhevel wrote on 28 Nov 2019 14:26:
I think we have different ideas what the purpose of the thank you button is for.

When I talk to people, I can understand if they appreciate what I am saying by looking at their facial features. Are they nodding off, spacing out or getting angry.

In a virtual forum you don't have that, the best you have is the thank you button. 

I write in the forum sometimes just for myself, but other times it's too facilitate conservation, it to share with others something I think I think is valuable.

The thank you's let me know how people are taking what im saying. And consequenly allows me to think, why don't people like this? Am i posting to often? Am i coming across to sharp? Do I sound like a know it all?

I don't agree with every post, it may just be a good counter argument or opinion to what I said, but it was valuable nonetheless.

People here do thank posts they disagree with, but there are many factors that will cause a post to be or not to be thanked as I explained above.

When someone writes something amazing/special then I up their karma (and Visa versa)

To me too put thank you on every post is a waste of everyone's time. They might as well make it that when you read something it automatically gives them a thank you.

Regarding newcomers to the sight I think it's a little different. When they first come on we need to give them alot of attention so they know we are listening and we are there for them. 

This is just my understanding. If you look at it differently, please share your general approach.

P.s one thing I dont like, is when people use the forum as a chatroom with multiple posts one after the other, that's just my preference, so I don't give those a thank you either

alot of good points ,id like to respond later on some of them , dont know if itll be before or after Shabbos , but thanks for your feedback

Re: TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) 28 Nov 2019 23:36 #345603

• sleepy
  • Platinum Boarder

just want to say one point for now on the topic of thanking guys, ive just been going through a members thread which i wish i wouldve seen before.he was  a big poster here ,and hes been gone.he mentioned a couple of times in his posts about he would appreciate a thank you, and like i said hes gone now.maybe its important to not be so principled in giving a thank you,people say that it becomes cheap if you thank too much, trust me nobody shot anybody for getting a thank you .

Re: TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) 28 Nov 2019 23:52 #345604

• sleepy
  • Platinum Boarder
i dont know ehre you live , but where i live , its hard to get a good morning out of someone not only at night, even in the morning .could be the reluctance in thanking has the same source (maybe it doesnt)

Re: TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) 03 Dec 2019 17:58 #345695

• sleepy
  • Platinum Boarder

maybe one of my gripes with the lack of gratitude/thank you is that not only are thank yous not being given to good posts  or hard worked opinion posts is there are alot of what i call "click (clique)thank yous"or "club -thank yous  "
​meaning it doesnt  matter if the "thank you"er appreciates the post or not , if  it was a post posted by my buddy , ill click the thank you,even if the post was ridiculous or worthless,just go through some posts and see for yourselves that the same names appear in the thank you box when their buddy posted and you hardly see their names  in the thank  you box on other peoples posts  , i call it the gye underground)
(hey i didnt say names so if your upset with what i wrote could be that  deep in your heart you  recognize that some of your posts fall under the category of ridiculous/worthless ,so dont blame me )
therefore i feel some people have to work on their gratitude. btw ill be the first to admit that my posts are ridiculous/worthless but id like to debate it first .
Last Edit: 03 Dec 2019 18:04 by sleepy.

Re: TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) 03 Dec 2019 19:21 #345699

• sleepy
  • Platinum Boarder
its really amazing how stingy and cheap people are with their thank yous

Re: TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) 04 Dec 2019 00:46 #345706

• Trouble
  • Platinum Boarder
sleepy wrote on 03 Dec 2019 19:21:

Work for a cause, not for applause.

Live life to express, not to impress.

Don't strive to make your presence noticed, make your absence felt.

[Two things; 1. I work for applause and to impress and to be noticed. My work works, so I'm not complaining. 2. HHM & Yechida work for a cause and to express and to make their absence felt; HHM gets plenty of thanks (in person as well as on the post thingy) & Yechida is plenty appreciated. Personally, I swear at him all the time, but I always tell him how much he is appreciated. I'm not saying that to show I'm a good guy, I'm not, I'm rotten. I'm saying that to demonstrate that he's appreciated by me and by others.)
I'm all about that (substantial) bass, no trouble ....

Re: TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) 04 Dec 2019 03:21 #345711

• Mark18
  • Current streak: 39 days
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Senior Boarder
sleepy wrote on 25 Nov 2019 22:59:
Hello. since the thank or not thank discussion was overcrowding the big o dilemma,a suggestion was given to me by one of the level headed posters to start a new thread on the issue .

I will begin this thread - thank you Hashem/My Father from my heart for bringing me to my brothers here and all of their varied posts and perspectives which give me untold chizuk and frankly without whom i would not be clean and wouldnt have the insights and deeper perspective which i now have. These guys are life and soul savers.

Re: TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) 04 Dec 2019 05:35 #345716

• lionking
  • Platinum Boarder

Thank you's used to be a very cherished thing, until someone came along and thanked every post thereby cheaping the value of the thanks.

I have a secret formula to determine whether to thank a post.
2% of it is if the post is inspiring to me. 4% of it is if it will hold me back from masturbating.
3% is my mood.
99% is pure randomness.
Did I ever say I'm good at math?!
My email address is: growinghigher613@gmail.com

Re: TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) 04 Dec 2019 05:40 #345717

• sleepy
  • Platinum Boarder
lionking wrote on 04 Dec 2019 05:35:

Thank you's used to be a very cherished thing, until someone came along and thanked every post thereby cheaping the value of the thanks.

I have a secret formula to determine whether to thank a post.
2% of it is if the post is inspiring to me. 4% of it is if it will hold me back from masturbating.
3% is my mood.
99% is pure randomness.
Did I ever say I'm good at math?!

if they became so cheap, why are people so stingy with them?probably their parents never taught them to say thank you.
and by the way , ask the owners of the post if they are appreciative when they receive a "cheap" thanks  ,i dont think anyone will be not  beappreciative,and if its appreciated ,then open up your tight fist and give a thanks!Thanks.(by the way dont thank me ,thats not my intention)
Last Edit: 04 Dec 2019 05:47 by sleepy.

Re: TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) 04 Dec 2019 05:52 #345718

• lionking
  • Platinum Boarder
My previous post was tongue in cheek hence the emoji..
In all seriousness,
I thank posts that speak to me.
I don't thank posts which I feel the poster is impos(t)ing an agenda.
I thank posts which help me get through the day, either by chizuk or a good smile.
I don't thank posts which criticize other people.

Thank You
My email address is: growinghigher613@gmail.com

Re: TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) 04 Dec 2019 17:54 #345737

• sleepy
  • Platinum Boarder
Mark18 wrote on 04 Dec 2019 03:21:

I will begin this thread - thank you Hashem/My Father from my heart for bringing me to my brothers here and all of their varied posts and perspectives which give me untold chizuk and frankly without whom i would not be clean and wouldnt have the insights and deeper perspective which i now have. These guys are life and soul savers.

@mark18,i noticed that some people have made your karma to -4,please do not be discouraged or disheartened  by this, since you came to gye with your tremendous experience in counseling hundreds (was it thousands?) as chasanim ( people from the far right to the far left,)much light has been shed on certain matters of intamicy, chazak viematz,may you and us all make further strides in this nisayon!

Re: TO BE(grateful)OR NOT TO BE(grateful) 04 Dec 2019 18:51 #345739

• Mark18
  • Current streak: 39 days
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Senior Boarder
sleepy wrote on 04 Dec 2019 17:54:

Mark18 wrote on 04 Dec 2019 03:21:

@mark18,i noticed that some people have made your karma to -4,please do not be discouraged or disheartened  by this, since you came to gye with your tremendous experience in counseling hundreds (was it thousands?) as chasanim ( people from the far right to the far left,)much light has been shed on certain matters of intamicy, chazak viematz,may you and us all make further strides in this nisayon!

Thank you for your very kind words and chizuk. I truly feel from my heart that i am with my brothers here even those who disagree with me. Other than Hashem/my Father to whom else can you bare your heart and soul and know they truly understand and have lived/are still living with these challenges and struggles. My communal abd klei kodesh notwithstanding i was "blessed" with an incredible yetzer hara and very very strong taivos that only my brothers and Hashem/my Father knows. My wife is totally unaware of the true extent of my taivos although she certainly benefits greatly from my taivos during sex. The rest of the matters at hand including extremely strong ssa i share here to my two incredible anonymous telephone mentors and to Hashem/my Father. Everything else i take to my grave with me. Because of these mentors and my brothers here i have not acted out for over a month although there have been some times when i was at the jumping point for a serious fall which i would have really enjoyed but is just not worth the aftermath. This forum and the live chat have saved me many times even when i was at the point of no return. Its strange living a kind of double life. As to the "karmas" i pay absolutely no attention to them nor do i ever look at them regarding myself or anyone else because i dont believe or think they have any worth whatsoever. Thank you again my brother.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes