Read once, then minimize to save screen space.

Forum Overview

Post on the forum to get support, tell your story and reach out for help when feeling weak!

You will never be alone in this struggle again.

The GYE forum is anonymous platform of group support, and a life-line of chizuk for hundreds of people in exactly your situation. 

To use the forum you need to first become a member of the site, sign up here.

After signing up to the site, go to the forum, enter one of our boards and press "New Topic" to begin posting! 

Welcome, Guest

eitzos for emunah and bitachon
(0 viewing) 
A Board for Yidden who are not as addicted, and for whom Torah/Chizuk/Chassidus can still help them stop.

TOPIC: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 3980 Views

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 05 Jan 2020 18:19 #346525

• Tzvi5
  • Current streak: 1261 days
  • Senior Boarder
Based off the besht teaching "hashems word is recreating the world every moment",we are being constantly made by hashem every moment, which means that everything that goes on with us, has a purpose.

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 06 Jan 2020 17:45 #346547

• DavidT
  • Platinum Boarder

Tests are part of the essential fabric of life. They make us who we are. Through adversity and struggle we stretch ourselves to the limits of our abilities, and discover our true potential. In fact, the Torah and the prophetic writings are replete with great leaders who endured difficult tests and travails.

The Midrash (Bereish*t Rabbah 55:6) relates the word nisayon to the Hebrew word nes, which means a banner or a flag. The miraculous, seemingly superhuman strength exhibited by people who withstand severe tests with faith and resolve is a flag, a signal to the world, hoisted high to inspire us all. When facing life's challenges, the superhuman strength and courage of an Abraham or a Joseph or a King David can inspire us.

We need to have faith in God to give us strength and guidance to withstand our tests and actualize our potential, but also have faith in ourselves - in the power of our God-given souls
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 06 Jan 2020 17:49 #346548

• N8
  • Current streak: 171 days
  • Fresh Boarder
bego wrote on 25 Oct 2019 10:36:
I would suggest going back to the rishonim and seeing what they have to say. 

I would also suggest that feelings can be notoriously fickle. Feeling close to hashem might be as fake as a joint... 

This so true. The way I've been raised, I never heard of this whole idea of making you feel close to hashem or feeling the shechina, that just doesn't happen now. We don't have the bais hamikdosh or neviyim. The goal of being mekayim mitzvis is to fulfill ratzoin hashem. It's also to bring you to olom haboh, not sure if anyone feels this way but if this is the reason why your trying to come clean, you might he disappointed.

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 06 Jan 2020 19:52 #346550

• Mark18
  • Current streak: 120 days
  • Banned
You make an interesting point but it has been my experience that if you are able to find a very private preferably dark place like a shul late at night and talk openly and honestly to Hashem your Father the same way you would talk to your most trusted friend who you are sure wont ever judge you and you really pour out your heart and soul to Hashem about EVERYTHING without shame or embarassment you might even find yourself crying which is a very good thing and you can really find yourself feeling closer to Hashem without faking it or feeling a false sense of closeness if you really try hard and be honest about what you say to Hashem. Im very far from being any sort of a tzadik but i do talk to Hashem my Father like this on a regular basis and feel closer to Him and to some degree feel the burden on my heart and soul to be just a bit lighter.

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 07 Jan 2020 15:57 #346560

• DavidT
  • Platinum Boarder

Each and every one of us has been given tremendous potential for greatness by our Creator. How do transform that potential into reality?

One thing is for sure: we can't do it unless we spend some time each day thinking about who we really are and what we are doing with our life. The start and end of each day are the two times most conducive to this kind of introspective thinking.

The best tool for this is questions. Questions are powerful. Questions get us to focus. That is why wise people ask themselves questions early in the day. With the right questions we make a statement of our positive intentions for that day. And at the end of the day there is an ancient tradition of taking stock of what we have done that day and what we can do to improve.

Regularly asking yourself the following questions at the start and end of each day will have a major impact on your entire life. Think about your answers to these questions for at least 30 days. Take note of the benefits. You will be on the path of reaching your highest aspirations.

QUESTIONS TO START THE DAY

1. What are my goals for today?
2. What are the 5 most important things for me to do today? What is their order of importance?
3. What new knowledge can I gain today?
4. What acts of kindness can I do today?
5. What one trait would I like to excel in today?
6. What challenges might I face today? What is the best way to handle them?
7. If today were the last day of my life, what would I make certain to do?
8. What would I like written on my tombstone? What can I do today in that area?
9. What is important for me to remember today?
10. What thoughts, words, and actions will make today a great day?

QUESTIONS TO END THE DAY

1. What was my greatest moment today?
2. What am I grateful for about today?
3. What have I done to further my major goals?
4. What new knowledge did I gain today? (Or reviewed)
5. What acts of kindness did I do today?
6. What positive traits did I express today?
7. What have I done today for self-improvement?
8. If I could live today over again, what would I have done better? Visualize the better way vividly for the future.
9. What positive self-suggestions can I tell myself as I am falling asleep? (ex.: "I will choose great thoughts, words, & actions.")

(c) Zelig Pliskin (Permission is given to reprint as long as this copyright notice is included.)

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 09 Jan 2020 17:05 #346602

• DavidT
  • Platinum Boarder
When a person is stuck, lo alenu, in a troubling time, he thinks, I'll pray to Hashem and hopefully things will change around and Hashem will create a salvation for me. The truth is, however, when Hashem sends a trouble, the salvation is equally standing by. We don’t need to ask Hashem to create a new salvation for us. We need to ask Him to reveal the salvation that He prepared already. We might be thinking, It’s the end, there’s no way out of this. But in essence, there’s no trouble at all. Hashem already prepared the salvation and it’s there waiting for us.

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 09 Jan 2020 18:29 #346603

• Trouble
  • Platinum Boarder
DavidT wrote on 09 Jan 2020 17:05:
When a person is stuck, lo alenu, in a troubling time, he thinks, I'll pray to Hashem and hopefully things will change around and Hashem will create a salvation for me. The truth is, however, when Hashem sends a trouble, the salvation is equally standing by. We don’t need to ask Hashem to create a new salvation for us. We need to ask Him to reveal the salvation that He prepared already. We might be thinking, It’s the end, there’s no way out of this. But in essence, there’s no trouble at all. Hashem already prepared the salvation and it’s there waiting for us.

Hashem sends trouble!? Doesn't He have better messengers? And regarding "no trouble" I've been thinking that as well. I'm thinking of starting a diary blog, so I can  freely write my feelings and thoughts (& no moderators and administrators breathing down my neck).
I'm all about that (substantial) bass, no trouble ....

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 12 Jan 2020 20:44 #346660

troubles messages are great!

and regarding your new plan of action, you took him out of context. DavidT said "in ESSENCE" which brings me back to my first point.
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
not sure what happened there. there isnt supposed to be a spoiler
Last Edit: 12 Jan 2020 20:46 by qwerty123456. Reason: no spoiler

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 15 Jan 2020 18:18 #346728

• DavidT
  • Platinum Boarder

טוב להודות לה

It is good to thank Hashem. It is incumbent on every person to thank Hashem for all the blessings that He gives them. If a person is able to thank Hashem during the hard times as well, those thank-yous become even more valuable.

There have been so many stories of people who have seen yeshuot after they changed their attitudes from one of complaining to one of thanking. Every time we are presented with a challenge, it is up to us how we choose to respond.
We have the opportunity to react with acceptance and praise to Hashem. We can be role models to our families and bring glory to the name of Hashem. It’s up to us.

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 20 Jan 2020 17:39 #346836

• DavidT
  • Platinum Boarder
People who are struggling with difficulties might say, “Yeah, if Hashem asked me to do it, I would. But I feel like it’s just a random occurrence.” Nothing is random.

Whatever we are experiencing is Hashem asking us to experience it. If we can remind ourselves of this and that Hashem is controlling every moment of our lives and only wants our best, then B’ezrat Hashem, we’ll be able to get through any difficulty with happiness, knowing that we are following the will of Hashem and living the life that He wants us to live.

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 21 Jan 2020 15:09 #346860

• DavidT
  • Platinum Boarder
The Arizal teaches that the Jewish nation stooped to the 49th gate of impurity, and they couldn’t remain in Mitzrayim another moment. One more second in Mitzrayim, they would have fallen to the 50th gate of impurity, from where there is no return. Therefore, yetzias Mitzrayim was rushed. The question remains, why was it necessary to wait for the last second? They could have been freed well before, and then they wouldn't need to rush out.

It was to tell us that even when one is at the lowest possible level, he can rise up from there and reach the highest level. Just as the Yidden who left Mitzrayim left the lowest level possible, and in fifty days were able to receive the Torah, we can also reach high levels, regardless of which level we are at the present. 

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 21 Jan 2020 16:32 #346864

• bego
  • Current streak: 625 days
  • Expert Boarder
People who are struggling with difficulties might say, “Yeah, if Hashem asked me to do it, I would. But I feel like it’s just a random occurrence.” Nothing is random.

Whatever we are experiencing is Hashem asking us to experience it. If we can remind ourselves of this and that Hashem is controlling every moment of our lives and only wants our best, then B’ezras Hashem, we’ll be able to get through any difficulty with happiness, knowing that we are following the will of Hashem and living the life that He wants us to live.
Briefly coming out of my self-imposed exile from GYE I would refer you to my post below about the approach of the Rishonim, Many here (like me) maybe didn't grow up with the modern day fascination with blaming Hashem for everything. Many Rishonim seem to understand that only tzaddikim have hashgocho protis. This does NOT mean things are not tests. Everything is a test. Just maybe not one directed at us by Hashem. Life is a test and our job is to pass. 
Last Edit: 21 Jan 2020 16:40 by bego.

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 21 Jan 2020 16:38 #346865

• DavidT
  • Platinum Boarder
bego wrote on 21 Jan 2020 16:32:
 Everything is a test. Just maybe not one directed at us by Hashem.  

Please explain, if it's "not one directed at us by Hashem", then it's just by mere chance?

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 21 Jan 2020 16:42 #346866

• bego
  • Current streak: 625 days
  • Expert Boarder
DavidT wrote on 21 Jan 2020 16:38:

bego wrote on 21 Jan 2020 16:32:
 Everything is a test. Just maybe not one directed at us by Hashem.  

Please explain, if it's "not one directed at us by Hashem", then it's just by mere chance?

Because life is more complicated than that. Chance does not mean it isn't a test. Hashem designed this world with lots of opportunities for growth and those are called tests. It isn't a test like in school where you pass or fail. It's about growth. Every human being will come across these tests. A tzaddick will have his chosen specifically by Hashem. A normal person will have to use the random tests to develop into a tzaddick. 
That is one approach.

Re: eitzos for emunah and bitachon 04 Feb 2020 05:31 #347132

• Bigmoish
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
Tzvi5 wrote on 05 Jan 2020 18:19:
Based off the besht teaching "hashems word is recreating the world every moment",we are being constantly made by hashem every moment, which means that everything that goes on with us, has a purpose.

See the article from futurism.com below. Many other news/science sites published the same article at the time this research came out. It seems that the scientific community is forced to admit to the Besht's understanding of "Hamechadesh Betuvo Bechol Yom Tamid Ma'aseh Bereishis."

CERN Research Finds “The Universe Should Not Actually Exist”
According to our understanding of physics, the universe doesn't make sense.
DOM GALEONOCTOBER 25TH 2017

Our Universal Paradox

With exactly equal amounts of matter and antimatter, our universe is perfectly symmetrical. While that sounds beautiful, it creates a huge problem with existential consequences. Because it possesses this fundamental symmetry, our universe shouldn’t exist at all.

According to the standard model of physics, the universe had equal amounts of antimatter and matter when it was created. The problem with that is the fact that each antimatter particle should have canceled out its corresponding matter particle, leaving nothing behind. Except they didn’t, and here we are left wondering why.

This problem has been noted before, and now, a study published in Nature confirms that, indeed, our universe should never have come into existence.

Scientists have often considered the possibility that there must be some currently unknown difference between matter and antimatter — different mass, different electric charge, different something — that allows the universe to exist.

To further explore this possibility, scientists at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Switzerland decided to look for a difference in magnetism. They used a method devised by researchers from Mainz University to calculate antimatter’s magnetism with never-before-seen precision, but alas, they weren’t able to find any difference.

“All of our observations find a complete symmetry between matter and antimatter, which is why the universe should not actually exist,” CERN researcher Christian Smorra said in a Mainz press release. “An asymmetry must exist here somewhere, but we simply do not understand where the difference is. What is the source of the symmetry break?”

Years Of Work

While the CERN researchers weren’t able to spot any difference between matter and antimatter, the work they did is noteworthy for another reason: It resulted in our most detailed look ever at antimatter’s magnetism.

Since it’s impossible to hold antimatter in a physical container, the team devised a method involving a pair of Penning traps to contain antiprotons using magnetic and electric fields.

“The measurement of antiprotons was extremely difficult, and we had been working on it for ten years. The final breakthrough came with the revolutionary idea of performing the measurement with two particles,” Stefan Ulmer, spokesperson for the multinational BASE collaboration at CERN, said in the press release.

“This result is the culmination of many years of continuous research and development, and the successful completion of one of the most difficult measurements ever performed in a Penning trap instrument.”

As far as the universe’s existential problem is concerned, however, we’re practically back right where we started: matter and antimatter are fundamentally symmetric. We can’t spot a difference in terms of mass, electric charge, and, now, even magnetism as exhibited by protons and antiprotons. Based on everything we know, the universe shouldn’t exist.

Still, the researchers are hopeful that an answer will turn up eventually. As a next step, they plan to conduct measurements of protons and antiprotons at an even higher precision by developing more innovative methods in the next few years.

Meanwhile, a CERN collaboration called ALPHA is looking at fundamental symmetries between hydrogen and antihydrogen atoms, so perhaps one of these research groups will find something that contradicts the fact that our universe shouldn’t exist.

FAQ's (Great for newcomers!!!)
Handbook | Skep's Tips
My threads:
www.guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/236327-Bigmoish-tries-to-be-good
www.guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/236329-Bigmoishs-path-to-tahara

"Expectation is the mother of frustration" - gibbor120
"Today, damn it! Today!" - cordnoy
"Desiring is not a sin at all, but just a sign that you are not dead yet" - Dov
"We are our own worst observer" - eslaasos's therapist
WDHW!!!
Last Edit: 04 Feb 2020 05:33 by Bigmoish.
Time to create page: 1.80 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes